Latest on Beatles Anthology DVDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Another update from Beatles.com

The new Beatles Anthology on DVD website is now live at www.beatles.com

The main feature of the page is the Beatles Anthology poster. Over the coming weeks, it will come alive with various hidden treasures. These will include clips from each of the original Anthology episodes, Derek Taylor¹s official liner notes, plus a selection of clips from the rare or previously unseen Special Features.

The site also has some Special Features of its own. Choose the country and city you live in when you log on, and the site will change according to the weather outside. You can also use the Zoom feature to inspect the Anthology poster in more detail.

The Beatles Anthology on DVD Released March 31st (April 1st US/Canada)

www.beatles.com

Well it's bloody cold here today. It will be interesting to see what the Web site does. :laugh:

2. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine New Member

To be honest, I don't think there is any movie or TV show on DVD that was originally shot in full-frame (1.33:1), then put on the DVD as a widescreen presentation.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Peace, Rick

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh yes there was...Evil Dead-Book Of THe Dead...chopped to S**T. There are others.

4. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I wasn't sure myself, but found this info to explain the the issue of widescreen versus full frame for this particular DVD (Evil Dead - Book Of the Dead):

Oh yes, there is a DVD to be found in this wonderfully gruesome package. This one sports a new widescreen transfer, anamorphically enhanced and framed at 1.85:1.

"Evil Dead" purists and hard-core fans may now begin to frown – "widescreen?" "Evil Dead" was originally shot on 16mm film in a fullframe aspect ratio, so how can this version be presented in widescreen? A few years ago, while working on the release of "Army Of Darkness" director Sam Raimi approached Anchor Bay with the idea to matte and reframe the movie to create a widescreen presentation. The result of this idea can be seen here on this DVD and in all honesty, in my opinion, it gives the film an even more sinister and claustrophobic feel that perfectly suits the subject matter. On a sidenote fans may also be interested to learn that Raimi initially planned to produce the entire DVD for Anchor Bay but given his engagement with "Spider-Man" he could not make time for the project and as a result passed off the duties to Bruce Campbell.

The image quality on the disc is very good, especially considering the movie’s origin, ultra-low budget and the use of 16mm negative film stock. Given these limitations, the image appears a bit soft at times and colors are not quite as vibrant as they could be, and strangely enough, I found this transfer slightly inferior in quality than some of the previous releases by direct comparison. Not overly so, and certainly not enough to be disconcerting.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert was cropped to 1.78:1 from 1.33:1...

6. GMav

GMav Senior Member

I called my local Costco, and they told me that it will be in their location on April 1. The cost? (is everybody sitting down?)

$46.00

I can almost imagine (no pun intended) the money leaving my wallet, as we speak.

Greg

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Whatever sound configuration they come in, i'm getting them on the street date! Kiss my VHS tapes goodbye! Wooo!

8. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

9. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

I received a phone call from A+ B Sound yesterday. They just placed their order with EMI. As for now, their computer is listing the retail price at $97.99 Canadian. Ouch! They said, they are hoping that it will be on sale when it is released. One can only hope.

10. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Same here. April 1 is going to be an expensive day ... Wilco's I Am Trying to Break Your Heart documentary DVD will be out the same day. Now where did I put all those pennies ...

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I called my local Sam's Club, they don't have it on their order list (yet?) :(

12. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Bah! I'm keeping my VHS set, only because the box looks cool on my shelf (don't worry, I'm still getting the DVDs on April 1).

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel 'Secret World Live', to be avoided immediately on store shelves near you.

14. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Mike,
    HMV.com are showing it for $79.99, so you van expect that Future Shop and Best Buy (and probably A+B by April 1) will have it at an even lower price (probably in the $70-$75 range).

Cliff

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's chopped, quality or no quality.
    I'm so happy your happy...I'm not.
    Hey, ya gotta fill those 16X9's...

16. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Widescreen would be cool for the recent filming of their studio outtakes of George, Ringo and Paul not the old vintage film of the Beatles. Like the boys jammin in George's studio. That would'nt be to bad.

17. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

It was reported a while back that Paramount had created both 4x3 and cropped 16x9 versions of Cheers. The 4x3 versions seem to be the ones appearing on the forthcoming DVD set, but they are ready to go with cropped 16x9 when the market penetration of widescreen TVs reaches a certain point.

Ryan

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This is sad to me.

It's fake stereo all over again. Cropping the top and bottom off of an image to make it fit a new wider TV is going to be the next thing?

It's desecration, friends.

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I always use the Mona Lisa example when discussing formatting an image for TV. How best would you show it? The original frame with black mattes on the sides? The upper part of the frame with the smile? The lower part of the frame with the folded hands? The original frame with the background extended by a modern painter beyond Leonardo's chosen framing so that you won't have black bars? The first option just makes the most sense (and requires the least amount of work).

Of course, sometimes people rebut with "Dana Carvey's 'The Master of Disguise' is not the Mona Lisa", but I am only thrown for a moment. :laugh:

Regards,

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How about broadcasting TV programmes in 16:9 that were originally shown in 4:3 - that really bugs me!

My baby girl (Martha, 15 months :love: ) is being brought up to believe that the Teletubbies is meant to be cropped to the point that you can hardly read the producer credits anymore!!

The trouble is that, once it becomes the norm, the next generation will always want it to be that way - until another way to alter an original piece of art even further from its original form comes along :rolleyes:.

It's just about bearable when the original is still available in a high quality format somewhere (eg mono Beatles LPs etc) but eventually these originals will become nigh on impossible to track down - and what about TV shows that only retain their original aspect ratio on old VHS editions?

We are losing precious works of art at a rate of knots......

(OK, so I'm not too bothered about the Teletubbies example, but you get what I'm saying :laugh: )

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It was broadcast in 4:3 in 6 episodes, each an hour long. This time included advert breaks so there was more like 5 hrs worth in total.

Does anyone know what extras are to be included. Will I finally get to see the footage taken during the "Hey Bulldog" recording sessions?..... Please?.......

:)

22. Stateless

Stateless New Member

There was a video for HB with that footage that tied in with the Yellow Sub reissue. I saw it on VH1 in the US. Is it on the YS DVD? :confused: I don't think it is on the Anthology, although they use some of that footage but Lady Madonna is played I believe.

23. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

It appears that most people would want the image stretched to fill the entire screen, even though that would make her wider than she is tall. I am amazed that people find black bars more offensive than incorrect aspect ratio....

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Apparently it was shown in the UK on BBC2 a couple of years ago but I missed it!

I assume the original film was accompanied by a sound recording separate from the master takes?

I don't believe that it is on the YS DVD (unless you mean the Hey Bulldog animated section which, thankfully is reinstated on the DVD).

What makes you say that you don't think it will be on the 5th Anthology DVD? Do you have information relating to what is on the disc?

It seems an ideal opportunity to release this most valuable historic film - the Beatles during recording sessions in 1968!!!!

25. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I think the mentality goes something like "Dammit, I paid for every inch of this big honking TV and every damn bit of the screen better be filled up ALL the time, dammit!"

It's like people who buy expensive sound systems and set the EQ to a steep V-shape for everything they listen to. "Dammit, I spent a gajillion bucks on this subwoofer thing and I better hear some damn earth-shaking rumbling when I listen to Norah Jones, dammit!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.