Latest/recent DVD movies watched? (Part 11)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Forum Resident

Halloween tradition at my house:
    repeat showing of Horror of Dracula until the last trick or treaters ring the doorbell

Karnak likes this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    On The Waterfront (1954, Elia Kazan)
    The Criterion Collection edition of this Kazan classic about a waterfront dock worker who squeals to authorities about corruption in the Union leadership is a bit much, though I really admire the film. The salient feature of the set is its 3 disc, 3 version offering of the movie in three different aspect ratios. I like the original full frame theatrical cut and the special features doc, KazElia Kazan: An Outsider.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Al Kuenster and Ronm1 like this.
  3. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Well-Known Member

Them! (1954) giant ants on the attack!!

Al Kuenster and Ronm1 like this.
  4. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Active Member

5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The Big Heat :righton:

Jazzmonkie and ando here like this.
  6. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Neon Bull (2015, Gabriel Mascaro)
    Very slow meditation on the corporal and its place in the hierarchy of man's universe. Sounds pretentious as hell, I know, but that's precisely what Mascaro is doing in examining the life of a Brazilian rodeo cowpoke and the world around him. Here, people are clearly every bit a part of nature as cattle but how do their distinctions change the face of the Earth? What is the Earth with us on it, essentially? Not many people seem to give a shīt for that consideration anymore. It's a beautifully frank film with no discernable storyline. So don't go in looking for one. But I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962, David Lean)
    Legendary film largely based on the T.E. Lawrence book, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. It dramatizes British Officer Lawrence's role in the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire during WWI. Got though the special features last night, the best of which is The Making of Lawrence of Arabia, where all of the major players are quite candid - and often funny - in recounting the vississitudes of making a film where for much of the time it was 110° F in the shade. Watching the main feature again (after some 10-15 years) tonight. Heaven!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Ronm1 likes this.
  7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I had a big time watching UHD-BD's over the weekend.....Prometheus, Starship Troopers, Unforgiven, and Bridge On The River Kwai.

8. Django

Django Forum Resident

Rewatched soylent green.

Al Kuenster and John B Good like this.
  9. Rachael Bee

What's next....a little Green Slime perhaps? ;)

10. Rachael Bee

Last night's double feature was Apollo 13 on UHD-BD and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang....:thumbsup:

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang BD?

12. Michael

Eve's Christmas...

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Warcraft.
    The baby looked like Shrek.

14. Rachael Bee

Yeah....it's a good looking disc despite being released early in the format.

MartyTem likes this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Forum Resident

The Wolf Man, 1941.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2013 ...yeah a good one alright.

Michael likes this.
  17. Michael

quite enjoyable...

alexpop likes this.
  18. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Ghost In The Shell (1995, Mamoru Oshii)
    In case you've been under a rock this legendary Japanese animated film, based on the manga series, concerns a counterterrorism squad led by agent/cyborg Kusanagi who attempts to apprehend a human body hacker, The Puppet Master, which/who is causing havoc amid a future population made up of cybernetic parts. (The Scarlett Johansson/"live-action" film currently out is based on this. Now I'd argue that The Matrix was the first live-action version! :p)

Frankly, the philosophical underpinnings of PM's designs are not really profound but the graphics are a lot of fun if you enjoy this type of animation (moving foreground action, consistent unmoving/unchanging backgrounds). Get the 2 disc edition with several alternate languages/subtitle options. I played the English track for the initial grasp and switched to the Japanese, which is bit more subtle than the flat-footed English language delivery (and far less profanity), on a second viewing. The music soundtrack is boss. Recommended. In the meantime...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  19. Rachael Bee

Our Man Flint....still funny after all these years.

Ronm1 and Al Kuenster like this.
  20. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The TAMI show, saw this back in the mid 60's in a theater. Fun to revisit.

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

The Cohen brother's "Oh Brother" - abandonned it after 30 minutes. Overacted and heavy handed.
    Batman Begins - Oh boy has it dated (because of the superb Marvel series). Dreadful.
    Batman - The Dark Knight - Also very badly dated! Just awful. Heath Ledger is great but the rest is dreadful. I lasted 30 minutes.

22. Rachael Bee

If you're gonna dog movies, watch the whole movie so you can savage them properly. I didn't much care for those Batman movies. I rather liked Oh Brother... You certainly should of watched the whole thing before passing judgement.

23. Purple Jim

No, a good half an hour is enough for me to decide that I don't like the style, the acting, the tone of a movie.

24. Rachael Bee

Then you'll never know how bad or good movies are.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

I'm a very good judge thank you.