Latest/recent DVD movies watched? (Part 11)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ronm1

Ronm1 Well-Known Member

Obviously not!

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched Wonder Woman, the motion picture, last night. I watched it on UHD-BD. The video and Atmos audio were spectacular. I thought it was getting a bit long-winded and was wishing it would hurry up and end. When the ending came, it was more clever than I anticipated. So, I liked it, mildly.

Ronm1 likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Last night was a treat. I viewed Young Doctors In Love for the first time seen I saw it in the cinema back in the early 80's. This was on the new BD.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Well-Known Member

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, it was good but I liked the first one better.

5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Gravity (2003, Alfonso CuarĂ³n)
    This, obviously, is one to have on Blu-Ray though the picture quality on the DVD is stunning. In fact, the graphics outshine the script, acting and effective but rather unremarkable soundtrack. The graphics are such a central part of the story that you could cut the sound (after an initial viewing), supply your own soundtrack and derive just as much pleasure and satisfaction. The details of Sandra Bullock's personal life are insignificant compared to the problem of the immediate situation that she must find a way to redress. Essentially, after losing her colleagues to the fallout of an accident, she must either use her ingenuity (and training) to return to earth with very little resources or end up as space debree. It's the movie's main story and ultimate strength. A classic thriller.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Classic Movie Bloopers

7. Rachael Bee

First Peoples PBS

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Better than The Magnificent Seven remake.

9. Rachael Bee

Wind River....a bit above average thriller and the first 4 episodes of Trek Enterprise season 3.

10. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Well-Known Member

Railroaded, Tommy Boy, Apollo 13, Only You, The Princess Bride, The Burbs, and North.

We've been on a binge. :D

11. Al Kuenster

Lost Horizon(1937) my first time seeing this, enjoyed it. I like most of Capra's films.

12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Paper Moon (1973, Peter Bigdanovich)
    Black and white depression-era throwback featuring a (real) father and daughter relationship. It's beautifully photographed with very good performances from Ryan and Tatum O'Neil and the supporting cast. The style in which it was shot makes it a classic, however. One of Bogdanovich's best. The special edition back story makes it a keeper - until an HD edition is released.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

A Raisin In The Sun.
    [​IMG]
    What an incredible movie.
    At a loss for words now.
    I'll just say that the speech by the mother is one of the greatest emotional moments of any movie I've ever seen.

This movie is a masterpiece.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Ronm1 and ando here like this.
  14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

I love Paper Moon.
    I have the DVD of it too.

ando here likes this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Indeed. Great play. Which speech from Lena were you referring to? She has a few showstoppers. Classic film. But I actually prefer the smaller, made for TV - American Playhouse production starring the late Esther Rolle (Good Times) and Danny Glover:
    [​IMG]
    Raisin in the Sun (1989, Bill Duke)
    There is more of the original play in this version as well.

Ronm1 likes this.
  16. Cabin_Essence

Cabin_Essence Member

Watched Dr. Strangelove last night. It's been years since I had seen it last. Gotta love early Kubrick

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. Michael

Whirly Girl

18. Al Kuenster

Lost in America last night.

19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Oh I've never seen this one. I'll have to check it out sometime. The speech about when to love somebody the most. You know which one now!

ando here likes this.
  20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Saturday, Sunday, Monday (1978, Alan Bridges)
    Wonderful made for TV movie based on a play by Eduardo de Filippo. It's one of several from the British produced box set of filmed plays; Laurence Olivier Presents. It's an amusing comedy/drama involving an eccentric Italian family where the matriarch, who plans a grand Sunday meal, finds her marriage in shambles by Monday morning. There aren't many copies around. Fortunately, some kind soul has it streaming. Recommended.

21. Rachael Bee

Over the past week, I watched season 3 of Trek Enterpreise and the first 3 episodes of season 4.

22. Michael

Ebenezer-Jack Palance...