Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've been debating myself about which to buy the reg-lar BD or UHD-BD.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Get the 4K release, definitely, and the Collection (for Grease 2 and Live!). The 4K is cheap at Target. Use your Target debit or credit card, of course. I think Walmart has a combo with the all the Blu-rays. I'll pick that up or "Collection" at some point. Supposedly, the Grease 2 blu-ray is turned out quite good.

tmsorosk likes this.
  3. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Working my way through the Buster Keaton "The Complete BK Short Films 1917-1923" Eureka BR Box

Nothing like seeing all of them sequencially in high quality to re-appreciate the man. Exquisite stuff. Innovative, surreal, and, yes, funny. The Arbuckle films have quite amazing moments too.

4. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Die Brugge / The Bridge" (1959, Wicki) (Criterion BR):

In the waning days of WW2, in a small German town, the last desperate resistance is organized as the Allies approach. A group of the local teen-age boys is called up, uselessly, to defend the village bridge (which is set to be demolished anyway). It does not end well.

Bernhard Wicki's anti-war film, done on a small budget, hits home the notion of War as Waste, contrasting ordinary village life with the horrors of battle even as all is lost.
    The film is a bit forgotten, as anti-war films go, but is well worthy of being on the top 10 with works like "Wooden Crosses" and "Paths of Glory."

5. Rachael Bee

Just in from Amazon U.K. , Mickey One.

6. Rachael Bee

I finally got Grease on 4K today.

jh901 likes this.
  7. ando here

ando here Sitting Weed Floating Bull

[​IMG]
    Ikiru (1952, Kurosawa) Criterion Collection
    I had only watched this once before and forgot how powerful and unflinching Kurosawa was in illustrating the human fear of death. Based in part on Tolstoy's novella, The Death of Ivan Illich, the film is very Japanese in its observance of customs and traditions and in its contemporary critique (post - WWII conditions) but absolutely universal with regard to age and illness and the isolation that accompanies them. What makes Ikiru's story - and the film - unusual, of course, is his late passion for life despite the death sentence he faces. Beautiful film. Most of the same group of artists would come together again a year later for K's masterpiece, Seven Samurai.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    93curr, Kubricker and IronWaffle like this.
  8. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Resident

Tonight's rewatch of one of my favorite wuxia films, Shaw Bros./King Hu's 'Come Drink With Me' starring the beautiful Cheng Pei Pei.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Anyone looking forward to Die Hard UHD tomorrow!?

Saving Private Ryan was released last week. Recommended! Find a front projection home theater and let it rip.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. Complier

Complier Forum Resident

I watched "The Last Jedi" on Blu-ray yesterday.

I did not care for this movie at all.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I liked the first of the new trilogy and also Rogue One. Wishing both would be released on 4K like TLJ. But yeah, it wasn't a good movie. So much potential squandered.

Complier likes this.
  12. MYKE

MYKE Baking The Cookies Of Discontent

Death Wish (2018) pre ordered
    Midnight Cowboy pre ordered at Deep Discount's 15% off sale, with added cc discount, cheaper than B&N's 50% off sale in July, and no waiting !!!!
    Shameless Season 8

13. Rachael Bee

I liked it a little more than you. My expectations were very low and I got about what I expected. This series of movies will always be about like this, good versus evil in an eternal struggle.

14. Rachael Bee

Animal House
    Black Panther UHD-BD

15. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Midnight Cowboy has been “tealed” so I cancelled my preorder. Screenshots at DVD Beaver.

Just ordered Die Hard on 4K.

alexpop likes this.
  16. MYKE

Thanks, but I'm okay with it.

17. MYKE

The Hospital ( Twilight Time Blu ray )
    Coach The Complete Series (DVD)

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pity, a waste of money.

Michael likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate "teal".

Michael and Graham like this.
  20. MYKE

The Ballad Of Cable Hogue (upgrade from DVD to BD)

21. I just bought that one myself.:agree:

MYKE likes this.
  22. MYKE

3 years ago, I got the DVD for $9.97. Today, I saw that the 1 year-old BD was only $10.27 on Amazon. I asked on the WAC thread if the 4/$44 upcoming Kino Lorber sale was as good as it gets, and I was told yes.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...it sucks when they F' with the pie...

24. Michael

Poltergeist 3 BD...

25. Michael

UHD you know you'll want it after you buy the BD! ; )