Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

How can a DVD develop audio drop-outs?

2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

"Happy Death Day" & "Welcome To The Dollhouse" - The last two
    movies I watched & very much enjoyed.
    [​IMG]

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm not sure but I suspect it has to do with de-lamination...? When the layers within a DVD begin to separate, if it's a dual layer DVD, the bottom layer usually quits playing. I came across another old DVD, recently, that also had developed the same audio drop-outs. If it's not de-lamination, it could be a problem with the aluminum layer....loss of reflectivity....maybe only in spots....? I have a growing lot of DVD's that have developed problems.

4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Across 110th Street (1972): found at a flea market today and watched it right after the F1 race. Fantastic blaxploitation piece with a tremendous cast, wonderful grittiness, uncompromising violence and gorgeous soundtrack by Bobby Womack. Sadly an almost forgotten movie, it seems...

5. Rachael Bee

I forgot about it. Then, I heard the song by the same name in a QT movie and remembered it. I got a copy of the BD and lived happily ever after.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The song was in Jackie Brown. You have it on Blu Ray?? Wow - here it was only released on a DVD that has long gone OOP.

7. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Aluminum doesn't lose reflectvity unless it oxidizes/corrodes.

The possibilty of audio dropouts is more to do with scratches then that possibility. While there are poorly made DVD's in most cases if it is sealed like any other epoxi it becomes just as permanent as the plastuc that it is. Though if one foolishly keeps their physical media in direct sunlight or moisture obviously bad things happen.

Store in a "cool dry place" wasn't an pld wives tale. Consumers have many many millions of optical media that have lasted close to 30 years without one issue. Those that take care and aren't a victim of bad manufacturing should have nothing but awesome quality for a lifetime.

Jackie Brown bluray. Other than some black crush and halo it us still a real treat. Easy upgrade.

8. Rachael Bee

Kino Lorber released it on BD several years back. I saw it on TV a few years before that. It's still available on BD.

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I watched Far From the Madding Crowd. Didn't really like it this time, too upbeat for a Hardy novel ( :)), and Julie Christie looked and acted too much like a 1960s London bird to be credible.

Karnak likes this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Great label, then. Fantastic movie!

11. Rachael Bee

I've had many DVD's go bad and they were stored wonderfully. I've returned the last two DVD's that I've bought for audio problems. Even though the DVD's were newly bought. I suspect that they were manufactured over a decade ago. I'd suspect there's some not so good aluminum in DVD's, especially when they're old before they're sold. A great many of my failed DVD's were clearly de-laminated. When the second layer won't play. it's de-laminated. When no layer will play, that might be de-lamination or something else....???

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Chan is missing. A 30 or 40 min film padded out to 75.

13. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom

14. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Sorry got to disagree with you there. There is no good or bad aluminum. It is oxidized or not. Aluminum is an element. It cannot be bad or good.

This is because of exposure because of not being sealed properly OR sunlight. Delamination as you say is just not as likely. An epoxi reaction is permanent because of the chemical bond. It is literally the same plastic once sealed (and I am not claiming that all companies seal properly).

Audio problems can and are hardware related. I had a handful of DVD's play weird in a bluray player thst played just fine on a PS3..and vice versa. Sorry about your bad luck, but the bad DVD's I have run across are in the single digit out of well over 20,000. I don't count abuse from used bought that skipped the moment I got them.

I suspect we will just have to agree to disagree, but I will say that even if one is bad, it can be resurfaced and brought back.

If you didn't see a discoloration around the edges then you are likely wrong about "bad aluminum" because no oxidation occurred.

Interesting that you say "a number"....are we talking 10...a hundred...etc...?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  15. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I recently watched the 4k Blu-ray of "Bridge on the River Kwai"...it's truly an amazing disc. Fans of the film (or classic films in general) should pick this one up. It makes me want to see more films of that vintage released in UHD.

PhantomStranger and longdist01 like this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

17. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Lady in the Water. Shoot me I liked it a lot.

18. Rachael Bee

De-lamination is a thing. I have had about 20 DVD's die. It could be more because I have many hundreds of DVD's that just sit on shelves, lonely and untouched. I can recall 3 titles that went bad and were replaced and the replacement also died.....The Apostle, Contact, and a deluxe Tombstone edition. When disc layers move just a tiny bit, the laser's read can miss the mark. All three of these titles are well-known problem titles.

I don't know much about aluminum but it's got to be a suspect in why some discs have problems.

19. Rachael Bee

I watched a double feature today. First up was 1972's The New Centurions with George C. Scott and Stacy Keach. I liked it. I had not seen it since the 70's. My brother had never seen Tora Tora Tora. We watched the Japanese Extended Edition.

20. The Hud

The Hud No More Mr. Nice Guy

I just recently watched Flags Of Our Fathers, and it did sound great, especially for being plain old Dolby Digital!

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

A perfect place

22. Michael

saw this at the movies...liked it back then still do.

23. Michael

how was it?

24. Rachael Bee

My processor, Intega RC-1, makes the most of it. It turns it into 7.2.4, 11 channel on the fly rather well. The planes, the shells, and such zing around the room. I suppose it could be even better with the two best codecs.....despite it's handicap, it sounds way more impressive than Solo in handicapped Atmos! My brother and I concur on that.

The Hud likes this.
  25. Rachael Bee

I like it too. I have a better perspective on the film now. Some guys I knew in my youth that went into policing have symptoms akin to what's portrayed in the movie.