Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I have been looking at a few youtube clips of people delaminating (destroying) DVD's and CD's. Man people are idiots.

20 seems high. Just be careful about misdiagnosis.

I had Jigsaw on bluray skip in 2 players. Swore it was the disc. Then it played just fine in a 3rd player. That proves it was not the disc but a firmware issue (others have also proven this). I have a few DVD's that play on one or the other players...etc.

DVD's are old tech anyway and were made really really cheap. Sad the MOD mentality seems to want to bring that back.

At least the indelendent companies know quality and I am happy to pay the difference.

Thankfully in your case you can just go buy another. Quality has always been an issue in almost in business at one point or another. Good disc mamufacturing can and does live lifetimes. I have some CD's that are approaching 35 years old without issue at all (ripped several just last week).

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's sucks. : (

3. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

The movie? Ok. If you mean the disc the movie stuttered a couple of times (it's 4K). Otherwise, it could be decent a demo disc to showcase your sound system.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

thanks, but I'll be opting for the BD not the 4K. : )

5. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Am I right to say that depending on the film elements, it is best NOT to go for a high res(BD or 4K) with certain titles? One that sticks out was "Rockshow" - the Wings 1976 tour movie. Looked like a snowstorm on Blu. They claimed digital noise, and that horrible image was with a 720 Phillips. Scared to watch with the Plasma!!

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

yes, but most make the upgrade worthy...I do see your point as a good example. : )

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have some understanding of firmware issues with players. I had a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player. It had multiple firmware upgrades and still, there was always some DVD's that it wouldn't play. It was almost a great player. I have and always have had multiple players. When I pronounce a disc gone, it's been tested in 5 or more players.

All my discs that, apparently, went de-laminated played once. I suspect that the heat in players initiates whatever it is that breaks down on or in the disc...??? Not all my bad discs are de-laminated. There's some with intermittent audio and video glitches. I've returned 3 new DVD's in the past year because they came with glitches. They all seemed to have one thing in common. They were all manufactured 10 or more years ago, I believe. Having read about the horrible conditions that resulted in Sony's Indiana factory that put out so very many rotted Laserdiscs, I've always suspected there's been some poor DVD factories. I vaguely remember Universal owning a SoCal DVD plant that was accused.....

genesim likes this.
  8. Rachael Bee

I don't know one who shot himself but heavy drinking, that's a big yes.

9. Rachael Bee

I watched Midway on BD last night......"boom".

10. Michael

OK.....

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Fair enough. I see your point.

12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Rambo III on dvd

13. Michael

Ka-Boom! : )

14. Michael

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms DVD... anyone compare the BD with the DVD?

15. Michael

it's coming out in 4K....

16. Al Kuenster

I saw that all four Rambo films in 4K, although the dvd's are not bad IMO. If I can get it at a cheap price I may upgrade.

17. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Finally caught up with the Han Solo movie.

Meh :(

18. Rachael Bee

I don't think that the first one is well enough shot to benefit from 4K treatment. It's an ugly movie. I still remember seeing it in HD for the first time on D-Theater, 1080i tape. Ugh....it must be the worst looking D-Theater tape I got....out of about 65 titles.

19. Al Kuenster

I will wait to see what the reviews say.

20. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

Deadpool 2 - way too meta. Wish I had those 2 hours back.

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Are you a social Hiroshima?

On Blu-ray:

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I think Will Farrell is hilarious.

The Kids Are Alright (The Who documentary). This is my favorite movie of all time, period.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    longdist01 and MYKE like this.
  22. Michael

no 4K for me...

23. Al Kuenster

With sooo many great films from Criterion, Twilight Time, Kino Lorber, Arrow Video, etc. that I want I may pass also.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

can't upgrade 3 forms of entertainment to watch 4K...not now anyway.

25. Michael

did you like the first one?