Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Poltergeist [1982] 1080p

It's not really scary until the great ending. It has more of a warm spooky feel to it and I love that. I think I read somewhere that Spielberg directed like 90% of the film and that sounds about right.
    Great effects, mostly optical I guess. And some great practial work too of course.
    It has a nice filmic look but I bet it could look fantastic with a new 4K scan. And this movie screams for a new atmos or dts:x mix.
    The soundmix we have now is fine but man a new one could really really elevate this movie to a higher level.

I love that the parents smoke pot in the bedroom. A nice scene.
    That wasn't something I noticed when I saw it as a kid so I was surprised.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Ghostworld and wavethatflag like this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

"Wilby Conspiracy" (1975), with Michael Caine and Sidney Poitier on the run from South African Police. In light of the the current situation on S.A., it's still rather timely. Poiter has every reason to be angry at the racism, but he reigns it in, offering a more powerful performance because its reserved. Much of their pursuit through the movie is lightened by his and Caine's comedic rapport. Nicol Williamson as a bigoted police inspector is one of the screems all time great villains, because he's incredibly calculating, pragmatic and intelligent - a real threat. The last act features several truly suprising plot reversals.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched The Spy Who Dumped Me on UHD-BD. It was mildly funny.

4. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Coco in 4K, in honor of Day of the Dead.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Easy Rider :righton:

LeBon Bush, Ghostworld and budwhite like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Planet of the Apes" (1968 version), and a couple days after that, "Gunsmoke: The Last Apache"

longdist01, GeoffC and Al Kuenster like this.
  7. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

8. Rachael Bee

I had a comedy double feature last night. 1941 Extended Version went first. "...Hollywood..." Then I had enough energy left for Shane Black's absurd comedy Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan blu-ray. I hadn't seen this movie in years. Slightly dated--the Federation uniforms look a little sill-- but still really good. Some classic lines, even though more than a few are cheesy. Ricardo Montalbán as Khan: "From hell's heart, I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." :biglaugh:

longdist01 and budwhite like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Dunkirk [2007] 1080p

WOW. It's hard to explain. Not a masterpiece but I was on the edge all the time. This is powerful movie making. The sound mix was truly spectacular and the aerial scenes seemed so real. I haven't felt this way watching the great war since Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

The Doors at the Hollywood Bowl - 1968
    (Blu-Ray)

12. ando here

ando here Sitting Weed Floating Bull

[​IMG]
    Rashomon (1950, Akira Kurosawa)

Doing a 30 days of Criterion films viewing while the B&N half off sale is on. This was my first pick. Masterwork. A murder in the woods told from several points of view. Wonderful visual storytelling. Great, purposely over-the-top performances (Mifune rocks). Effective soundtrack (for the LOUD 50s). The extras are ok, though not extensive. But the film's the thing. Glad to see that Altman thought it was one of Kurosawa's best, too.

Al Kuenster and longdist01 like this.
  13. 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K.
    Stalker Criterion.

Claus LH, Al Kuenster and longdist01 like this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

15. Rachael Bee

"I'm your Huckleberry." I watched Tombstone last night.

Al Kuenster and longdist01 like this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I watched The Happiness of the Katakuris and Isle of Dogs.

Claus LH and PhantomStranger like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Seven Days In May (1964)

Al Kuenster likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

2010 The Year We Made Contact on BD was my movie last night. I really like how it caps off 2001's story.

Al Kuenster and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Rachael Bee

I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance on BD. It's a great western.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

good review

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Finally watched The Music Man, the 1962 original. A glorious triumph in my book, some of the best written musical songs I ever heard, fantastic cast, everything you could ask for in a good musical. Clearly one of my favorites already :love:
    And Robert Preston, what an actor! His appearance is very inspiring.

Al Kuenster and TimM like this.
  22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Apocalypto on dvd, I have had the dvd since it first came out and watched for the first time, a brutal film but I liked it.

23. Rachael Bee

I watched the coming of age comedy The Way Way Back on BD. It has many funny scenes. It's an above average flick.

power popper likes this.
  24. BZync

BZync Forum Resident

Saw Thunderball (on blu ray) for the first time in about 25 plus years. Was surprised at how non-engaged I was.

Just got the blu ray of 1776. The difference in picture quality from the DVD is astounding! The DVD (and all previous laser disc & VHS editions) is very soft and a touch dark. The blu ray is so crisp. Strange to think that such detail was even in the source material. To my eyes, it's honestly a touch too detailed. Doesn't even look like film anymore. A very different and completely surprising viewing experience. Gotta check out the blu ray exclusive commentary next.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Rachael Bee

No video disc has ever looked too detailed for me. Some have looked over-processed...too much grain removed, too much edge "enhancement" and other assorted flubs. Good film is full of detail and I can't get enough. I've watched about 100 4K BD's and the detail is what makes them look more film-like than all previous formats.

SandAndGlass and Al Kuenster like this.