Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. BZync

BZync Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I do not possess the knowledge of the technical terms used to describe picture quality. Cannot say why it appears non-filmlike to me. But, during well lit sequences, it almost has a soap opera video look to it, instead of film. Perhaps someone else who has seen the blu ray can help out with the "why".

2. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Active Member

Edge of Tomorrow (one of countless re-watches)

Crimson jon and Michael like this.
  3. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I know this doesn't count as a movie, but I've been watching my dvd box set of The Brady Bunch (currently in Season 2). I unabashedly love this show.
    I'd really like to see this series get a proper restoration on blu-ray - would gladly re-purchase!

mj_patrick likes this.
  4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm sure it's something as simple as what sort of filters they used on the production lighting to get the look that you call soap opera looking. Film can look many ways.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

in step with the movie. : )

Grey Alien and Pizza like this.
  6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Meet Me In St. Louis (1944): My, my, my, what a beautifully shot movie. It truly shines in glorious Technicolor and the cast - especially the endearing Judy Garland - is simply splendid. Fantastic songs, most of which are well-known classics today, even here in Austria. Truly golden-age Hollywood cinema :angel:

Broadway Melody of 1940 (1940): I honestly didn't expect too much - all that hoofing? I couldn't imagine a movie highlighting that kind of dance to be all that worthwhile.
    Was I wrong! Like I just wrote on St. Louis, this is Hollywood at its most glorious, its most elegant, its most glamourous and its most fun, too. Fred Astaire is a terrific dancer, but the true star for me is the wonderful Eleanor Powell - to put it with Astaire's drinking sidekick: "What a gal!" Quite simply a beautiful movie.

7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Watched The Apple Dumpling Gang on dvd.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Active Member

Doing a massive culling of blu titles atm, found some I'd forgotten I had, so up now is an evening of wholesome family entertainment with... Evil Dead (2013) :sigh:

9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Picked a few titles up today;
    Leon: The Professional UHD
    Solo:A Star Wars Story UHD
    Jumanji (Robin Williams) UHD
    Ronin from Arrow Video

budwhite likes this.
  10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

Now that's a Disney live action blast from the past. I have no idea what it's about but I'm 99 percent sure I saw it at the movies as a kid.

11. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Deadpool 2 UHD-BD came today from Amazonia.

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo No music, no Life

In preparation of going to see the Bohemian Rhapsody Movie, I played my Live QUEEN in Montreal 1982 Blu ray, with bonus Live Aid 1985.

Freddy at his finest! :edthumbs:

budwhite likes this.
  13. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Active Member

Prometheus

Eeeee-yeah... :sigh:

14. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Just watched Fantastic Voyage on Blu-ray:

[​IMG]

15. Michael

16. Michael

just just got a Japanese BD copy of this...

17. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

18. Michael

A Late Quartet BD..

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

It's a charming movie, and completely absorbing despite the minimal plot (will they move or not...) The family just sort of rolls from one event to the next, but stuff just keeps wonderfully happening in a way that's half way between romanticism and real. Minnelli's genius was to balance that.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  20. Michael likes this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

It's totally captivating, and it makes me feel very sentimental - even though I have no memories of either 1904 or 1944. Truly a result of fantastic, well-balanced directing.

22. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Was this as bad as what I remembered it from 1983? Oh hell no. It was MUCH worse than that. What an utter crock. Even with a 20% discount I paid way too much for it.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  23. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Active Member

Jurassic Park 3 blu

Now on the pile for the op-shop.

24. Much of Doctor Detroit clearly doesn't work but there are a few fun scenes. Dan Aykroyd would go on to marry the hot blonde on the cover of that Blu-ray.

Doctor Detroit Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

SpudOz likes this.
  25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

"In A Lonely Place" & "Incredibles 2" Both highly recommended!
    [​IMG]