Laura Nyro - A Little Magic, A Little Kindness - The Complete Mono Albums Collection 07-07-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luxury_Liner, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

For anyone curious about the "New Discovery" label: Unfortunately, Verve replica labels were not available to us for this project, as Verve is a Universal imprint while Laura's recordings are under Sony's umbrella. We endeavored to come up with a creative solution; hence, we imagined (and our amazing designer painstakingly replicated) what a "MTAND" Columbia mono white label circa 1967 would have looked like. I get a real thrill each time I see it, and it was intended as a fun "Easter egg" for longtime fans. Hope you all enjoy it, as well!

WilliamWes, johovey, snkcube and 11 others like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Off topic, but please tell me that Gonna Take A Miracle is being worked on for a re-issue.

Jimi Bat and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Thanks for the explanation.

johovey likes this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

vinyl wants
    Angel in the Dark
    The Looms Desire

very intimate recordings with lush piano decay and ambience
    you really hear the chords resonate

Gonna Take a Miracle is a stellar original release and easy to pick up inexpensively on vinyl
    I don't think a remaster would improve on that

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    peter and Luxury_Liner like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

see post just above

original vinyl has incredible separation of voice, lush piano and Wind sounds like it is being played in a huge open cathedral

ralphb likes this.
  6. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You are hellbent for this release, aren't you? ;)
    My fear is that what-you-hear with that album is what you will get with a remaster. Not a sonic shining moment...never was. :shake:

ralphb likes this.
  8. audiomixer

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

:laugh::agree:
    If you're gonna be hellbent it may as well be for something heavenly.

Jimi Bat, audiomixer and GetHappy!! like this.
  10. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

No argument here.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. minizaka

minizaka Forum Resident

Not too far of a stretch as it was repressed under Columbia in '73! Anyway, for me it's the standout disc of the set.

12. audiomixer

Correct on the second sentence.
    Not a stellar original release, honestly. Tape saturation on her vocals abound...

13. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

For those of us without a turntable a Hoffman mastering of Miracle would be good news indeed.
    The cd sounds a bit harsh.

14. audiomixer

Not a stellar original release, honestly. Tape saturation on her vocals abound...

15. The mono mix of More Than A New Discovery is worlds better than the stereo, no surprise here, but if the mono version of Eli is a folddown, surely is the finest folddown I've ever heard.

I remember reading that up until the late sixties Columbia couldn't do folddowns because doing so violated union rules or something, but I also read that WLPs after 1967 are usually folds, so, who's right?

In any case it's a stunning release, so thank you Joe Marchese, Vic Anesini, Real Gone, Second Disc and everyone involved.

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I wasn't listening to Eli analytically yesterday and in any case I'd be astonished if Our Host's stereo remaster could be unseated as my go-to but I'd agree: impressions of this mono version were good.

17. audiomixer

I agree. And if isn't a dedicated mono mix, I'm shocked! I'm hearing things I've never heard in the stereo version before. It is just a tad bright for my tastes, however.

ralphb likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

More Than A New Discovery kills the NM vinyl version I have. Finally after all these years to hear the mono version sound this good. (Steve's AF vinyl mastering is the best sounding stereo version.)

19. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I think you meant SACD for the Audio Fidelity release.

johovey likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'm in.

jlf, Taxman and johovey like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm talking about the Columbia stereo re-release of the Verve album, titled "First Songs". It was remastered and released by Audio Fidelity on vinyl only. :)

snkcube likes this.
  22. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

That was cut by Kevin Gray.

bluemooze, audiomixer and karmaman like this.
  23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but I would like to see a proper full release/reissue of the COMPLETE Live in Japan. Not just the edited short version

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Right you are! :tiphat:

GetHappy!! likes this.
  25. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Just to add to this, I was A/B-ing the AF stereo with the Mono fold-down today and I found my smoking gun: if you play the closing of "December's Boudoir" in the mono and then the AF stereo then you can hear that there is a lot of untamed shrillness in Nyro's vocal in the mono. It conclusively demonstrates to me that whatever other differences there are between the two versions Our Host's version is the more pleasurable to listen to and should remain my go-to. Even if you don't accept "shrillness" as a fair test, a listen of the versions of "Emmie" back to back should reinforce the idea that the AF is the one. I think that the mono is doing well to hang with it as well as it does.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.