Laurel and Hardy Biopic With John C. Reilly And Steve Coogan

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Jul 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

heres a crazy idea: Jason Alexander (with hairpiece) as Lou Costello. Yea, I know he doesnt really look like Lou, but his body type is right and he's a tremendous actor and I think he could pull it off.

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

John C Reilly and this guy? I can't see Coogan in either role.
    [​IMG]

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

And maybe you underestimate Steve Coogan...
    [​IMG]

7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Just left the theater. One of the most touching movies I have ever seen..bravo

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My wife and I saw the movie ‘Stan & Ollie’ today. A wonderful film, beautifully acted. Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly captured the characters so well, it makes you believe that they are Laurel and Hardy. We loved it and can’t recommend it enough. Definitely a must see film.

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I saw they had ads for this all over buses in England. Is it getting more attention over there? I'm so glad this came out well, there's not a lot worse than a bad celebrity bio film.

10. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Just tell them he was the mute comedian on I LOVE LUCY! If young people still know that!

11. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I guess he wasn't enough of a name.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I’ve heard of scripts getting stuck in “development hell”... but this is ridiculous.

13. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I liked it, especially the location work and the character support(like the "Col. Blimp" they met at the reception), but I have some notes about accuracy: L&H planned to go independent after SAPS AT SEA(1939-40), not WAY OUT WEST(1937). Laurel and Hardy signed at Fox together in 1941, not Stan alone in 1939(Stan came back to Roach for two L&H films after "The Elephant Movie"). The ROBIN HOOD movie was proposed in 1947, not 1953, and it was Stan who pulled the plug(due to a rushed shooting schedule), not the studio. Stan understood the contract situation with ZENOBIA/"The Elephant Movie" and held no resentment over it. Stan never would have considered going on with a different partner. It's true that they never performed again after 1954, but there was a "kind of" performance in the form of a film insert done in the US for a BBC special in 1955, where there were kind of in character.

alexpop and beccabear67 like this.
  14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

15. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

If the aim was to diminish your credibility - well done!!

smilin ed likes this.
  16. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Took my 86 year old Dad to see this. We both really enjoyed it, the lead performances could not have been better and the 'story telling' was first class. Their wives were a great addition too!

beccabear67, ajsmith and Yovra like this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Well, here’s another fine mess you got us into!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    blutiga and beccabear67 like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL!

19. Michael

when is the home video coming out?

20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’m intrigued.

21. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

I think you might be thinking of Ron Masak. He did a number of episodes of Murder She Wrote as the Sherriff. I saw him on a number of game shows too. He definitely resembled Lou Costello, but is too old to do it now. I thought that I remember reading/hearing somewhere that he had done some one man shows as Lou. I do remember reading that early in his career, people would ask him to do his “Costello look”, so obviously he was known for his resemblance to Lou Costello. As others have mentioned, I’d love to see a good film done on Abbott & Costello and/or The Three Stooges.

I will definitely be checking out Stan & Ollie when it gets released on DVD/BD. I wanted to see it in a theater, but the only one showing it near me was in a mall with clientele that would probably ruin the movie for me had we been forced to watch it together in the same theater.

22. FredV

FredV Senior Member

2019 Oscar Nominations.

“We Wuz Robbed!

[​IMG]

TeflonScoundrel and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hey ! At least L&H got a biopic what happened to Abbot & Costello?

24. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Beat: You are 100% right...it WAS Ron Masak. I just couldnt think of his name. At one point in his life, he looked almost exactly like Lou Costello.

Yes, we absolutely need a biopic of Abbott and Costello. But it has to be realistic and true. They were the #1 comedy team in America for almost 10 full years and deserve special treatment by Hollywood.

25. Michael

I'm still waiting for Bud & Lou to show up on home video...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.