Laurel & Hardy RESTORED at the Egyptian, Hollywood in May!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

fair enough. id forgotten about the whole problem of rights with l&h...and indeed a number of other comedians.
    It might take longer then. The Hal Roach company just got a free upgrade of their films and still hold the rights though. They'd be fools not to want to release these.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Dukes Travels

By the way. Anyone know why the boys are WAY more popular among Europeans than Americans?

I am an expat who moved stateside about 15 years ago. Most people over the age of 30 seem to know about the name and some have seen a handful of their films, but the contrast is astounding. I grew up watching them on the BBC from as far back as as a toddler up until I left. In fact i had acquired most of their films on VHS from taping off the telly, before I bought the DVD's. I also remember when I was about 15, with my dad in a train station in Milan, Italy. It was during a freak snowstorm and they were playing l&h shorts on a giant projected screen for everyone. I thought "how freaking awesome is that!".

In 15 years I don't think i've seen a single l&h film on American TV. Actually come to think of it I don't think i've seen much of any black and white era comedy stars...except the marx brothers and the three stooges.

Is this a rights thing? Or are they genuinely not popular? The older Americans all seem to remember them fondly.

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

A combination of things...yeah, they pretty much disappeared from American television around 1990, except for the occasional TCM showing. Plus the messed up home-video releases didn't help...the VHS's went out of print, and there was no American dvd collection of their best work until a few years ago. Those factors, plus the younger generation's preference for faster-paced entertainment, all caused Laurel & Hardy to not be nearly as popular as they had been...

Dukes Travels likes this.
  4. Dukes Travels

Its a shame. They are timeless. My kids, who range from 4 to 6 all LOVE them.

5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Quadboy likes this.
  6. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

The restorations look amazing. I envy those of you who can attend.

When my time machine is ready, I'm going to go back and grab all those Leroy Shields discs they used to score this stuff.

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

If I read (and recall) correctly, Randy Skretvedt and Richard W. Bann met Shield at his home (or was it Marvin Hatley?) and he played some of them for them. I don't recall -- did he give them some of them?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

From Jeff Joseph:

When we were kids watching Laurel & Hardy on local TV in the 50s and 60s, their films rarely had the original titles. Usually, they had "Film Classics" reissue titles from the 1940s. One great part of restoring these films has been putting back the original MGM titles.

Film Classics vs MGM Titles for "Come Clean":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5mIlflH_5U

We will be showing the completely restored "Come Clean" next Sunday, May 8th, at the Aero in Santa Monica as part of the great upcoming Laurel & Hardy weekend, May 6-May 8:

http://www.icontact-archive.com/ONpBOnNuz9KwYVWzhVBIZnNLRGAEFHe2?w=3

Thanks,

Jeff

9. Steve Hoffman

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We live in amazing times.

longdist01 and davenav like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I love that stuff. It shows how great even a movie from the early 1930s can look if they just spend a reasonable amount of time, money, and care with it. And this stuff totally needs to be preserved.

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  13. Steve Hoffman

14. Dukes Travels

Simply stunning.
    I really really hope these get a home video release some day.
    Or at least a wider cinema tour.

longdist01 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I love them, I hope these restored films make it to the NY area. I wish I was in LA for this one.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.