Laurie Strode returns in "Halloween" (October 19, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Both of the first two films were highly influenced by Dario Argento's (considerably more gory) slasher movies: especially by Profundo Rosso/Deep Red. Although Halloween shows very little in terms of blood by comparison, it was nonetheless regarded as one of a wave of movies drawing new lines for horror. This was Roger Ebert's reaction in 1979 ... note the comparison to Last House On The Left which, to this day, is regarded as strong meat:

“Halloween” is a visceral experience -- we aren't seeing the movie, we're having it happen to us. It's frightening. Maybe you don't like movies that are really scary: Then don't see this one. Seeing it, I was reminded of the favorable review I gave a few years ago to “Last House on the Left,” another really terrifying thriller. Readers wrote to ask how I could possibly support such a movie. But it wasn't that I was supporting it so much as that I was describing it: You don't want to be scared? Don't see it.
    I don't think that anyone would class Halloween with Last House On The Left today, which shows how much more impact the former had then in representing what was effectively a new genre of shocker. You could class it with Psycho: another film whose shock has been tempered by long acquaintance.

AvanTodd and Encuentro like this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I have to agree with you; I didn’t word it right. I was a lot younger then, so of course everything was more intense. What I mean’t was just seeing the knife going into the victims in a realistic way really creeped me out. That to me was gore, but I guess that’s not the right term techically. That whole film just scared the crap out of me, and for years was the scariest film I had ever seen. I really think if I saw it today for the first time, it still would. The new one didn’t scare me at all. However, given the complete lack of scare moments, I do think it was by design they didn’t do that and it would be interesting to hear some commentary about it from the film makers. They certainly knew how! Still, a serviceable sequel for me.

I just read the post above, and Roger’s quote (he was so good at what he did; a shame he’s gone....he loved films!) and he explains my reaction perfectly! It did feel like you were in on it, and man it was scary!

Encuentro likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Saw this yesterday, and it was not scary at all. Very predictable too.

4. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

watched it yesterday thought it was great not really understanding the negative views aside from those who don't appreciate referencing other films or the tired nature of the franchise as a whole.

personally I thought the way they mirrored Michael and Laurie from one movie to the next was not just meant as a fun call back but as a point of how the characters relationships have changed and I thought it was quite effective in that regard.

I wouldn't say I am a Halloween superfan but I have seen all the movies and I would proabably put this one in third place at the moment behind 1 and 3.

my girlfriend actively hates Halloween movies aside from the first but she was complimentary toward this one as well.

and as others have mentioned the music was excellent.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I remember my older brother going to see Halloween II on Thanksgiving Day back when it was first released. Hoping our theaters will be back in business soon so I can catch this new version. Was planning on seeing it this week while I am on vacation but this city is still a mess due to the storm. Nothing open.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Finally saw this via Redbox. Pretty disappointed overall. If not for Jamie Lee I'd probably write off the whole thing. Just bad filmmaking. Only memorable sequence was the part with the mtion lights. Rest of it very poor. Open scenes didnt do enough to feel anything for Jamie or sympathize with her plight. Film improves when killing started but still very herky jerky filmmaking. By the time the doctor shows his true colors I was finished. Just wanted it to end. Glad I didnt spend more than $2 to see it. H20 will remain canon for me. This one will be forgotten.

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I finally saw this. I am so glad I didn’t waste my money in the theatre. It wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t enjoyable either. It felt rather bland. I can see how some of the more casual fans might enjoy this, but for someone like me who has followed these films for years it just falls flat.

Chip Z, Matthew Tate and Jrr like this.
  9. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Just re-watched this and have to agree that it's just bad film making. The whole Boyfriend thing didn't tie into the movie at all, same with the (overdone) party scene. I know in this day and age it's the norm to have the female character "Kick ass", but in a "Halloween" film it has no place. I would've liked Laurie Strode to be a normal person that moved on with her life only to have MM come back 40 years later and terrorize her again. Not enough 'Micheal killing' time. I could go on...

At least it's better than "Halloween: Resurrection"..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Got it on reserve at the library. Wasn’t sure if it was even worth streaming for a couple of bucks.

11. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Saw it last week and disliked it. Too many odd, no reason, story sequences. The idiot boyfriend, the Dr who just wanted to experience the thrill, the daughter’s husband, all write-off and worthless.

The only part that I thought was cool and foreboding was when the Podcast guy brought out the mask in the prison-yard, and all the crazies started flipping out. The idea that the mask might be the yin to Michael’s yang, or a source of the bad ju-ju, was the only scene that made me think it had potential. That’s also at the beginning of the movie, so it was down-hill from there.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It isn’t completely awful and worth renting if you are familiar with the series, but not worth owning. I just don’t get it at all. They should have had the budget to get good writers and show some decent film making. They could have relaunched the series with an out of the park film. I certainly wouldn’t go see another one now.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My teenage son and his friends watched the original 1978 film for the first time the week before this new one was released, then went together to see the new one. They all said the new one was way better. :sigh:

14. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

Of course they did. They’ve been trained on new movies.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Or maybe they just happened to think the new one was better...

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

To be fair, if you remove the Music Score played during key scenes from the Original Movie, it is not really that scary of a Movie. The Music sets the Atmosphere really well for 'Halloween'(Original). No idea about the Music for the 2018 Version, as have yet to see that Movie(and based on most reviews of people who have seen it, not in a hurry myself to see it).

17. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

The score for the new film is the best part. It's worth a listen even night you don't see the film.

chrischerm, Matthew Tate and TheVU like this.
  18. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It’s true. That was the best part of the outing.

chrischerm and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up the dvd at my local supermarket.

Pretty good I must admit!!! 7/10

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.