Laurie Strode returns in "Halloween" (October 19, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Call it sacrilege, but I think my favorite entry may be 1981's "Halloween II." Just a hair above the original film for me.

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I've only watched Halloween III once and that was when it was released in the theatre. Hated that film since it was so completely different and weird compared to the first two.

I've never seen either of Rob Zombie's films, so I can't comment on those two.

I plan on seeing the new one and if it is indeed a throwback to the original, I should like it.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

It became fashionable to rag on III for a while there, but it's a genuinely entertaining riff on a 'Twilight Zone' episode and it looks and sounds great. The 'fans' bemoaned the lack of Michael Myers, apparently - and were rewarded with 35 years of ridiculously stupid Myers sequels as a result. Moral of the story?

I've no doubt our favourite masked killers, razor-fingered child-killers and Mommy-issues madmen have the same problem too, on occasion. :)

4. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Just got back from seeing the new Halloween movie. I won't spoil anything from the new film but will highly recommend staying home and watching Halloween II instead.

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I was bored silly. I won't even compare it to the classic original but I still prefer the two Zombie films to this. If it wasn't for Resurrection this film would be at the bottom.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just saw it and liked it, but it does not live up to the hype. But how could it really?

MikaelaArsenault and Pawnmower like this.
  7. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I saw it at TIFF. It's entertaining and Jamie Lee Curtis is just outstanding (but, when is she not?)

The problem is none of the characters - aside from Laurie - is well developed and the film doesn't really establish its own identity. It regurgitates scenes from previous Halloween films and other horror films. Plus, it plays some of the same beats of the original. The final act is the best part with
    Laurie becoming the aggressor and chasing Michael.

8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Just got back from the 11pm screening. I enjoyed it very much, but i will say the ending was a bit quick and not super satisfying. Glad i went, though.

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I can’t handle another disappointing movie outing this year. Pass.

daca and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Greetings fellow Central Ohioan.

11. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Saw it last night and thought it was decent. I loved the score.
    I’d put it:
    Halloween
    Halloween 3
    Halloween 2
    H20
    Halloween (2018)
    4,5 & 6 are a mess
    8 is terrible
    The Rob Zombie ones are pure garbage.

12. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

My order of ranking the Halloween franchise (with Michael Myers) is the following:

1. Halloween (1978)
    2. Halloween II
    3. H20
    4. Halloween 4
    5. Halloween (2018)
    6. Halloween 6
    7. Halloween 5
    8. Halloween Resurrection

The Rob Zombie films are wiped from memory a la Men In Black.

13. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I might be the only here had never seen any but the original '78 Halloween (which I re-watch just about every year). For me, seeing this sequel was very cool. I've been reading about the other sequels all year since they announced this, and the story around some of them is fascinating. But I was waiting as I wanted this new one to be the first sequel I saw. I may do a marathon over the next week of the others (or at least the better ones).

MikeInFla, TheVU and Karnak like this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Today, iTunes has the original version on sale for $4.99, historically a good price and one of the very few ways to own it digitally.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Oh wow. So the 8:00 PM showing of Halloween at our local AMC movie theater tonight is almost full.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Greetings yourself!!

Jason Manley likes this.
  17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I watched It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown last night when I got home from the theater and it was scarier than the new Halloween.

MikeInFla, daca, JCRW and 1 other person like this.
  18. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

This new Halloween was better than I expected (I thought the trailer looked terrible), but it was still pretty bad. Nothing will ever be worse than Zombie's films for me, however outside of those 2 films, this is probably the 1st Michael Myers Halloween film that didn't have one single suspenseful scene for me. There were plenty of horror scenes, but the attempts at suspense were ineptly handled. The script wasn't very good and felt like it was written by people with little life experience (I think I saw 3 names: how can three people not come up with better ideas!??) . The numerous throwbacks to the original film were so ham-fisted that I could only roll my eyes. Director has no idea what he's doing. I wasn't really bored, but there were more than enough times where I was thinking "it would have been better if they did this" or "why not develop the story in this other direction instead". I was never satisfied or impressed or intrigued.

Having said all of that, it's not down there with Resurrection, which is terrible.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  19. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Probably the very best way to see this new one - not having seen even one of the sequels! None of the exhaustion the rest of us probably invariably suffer when watching it. :)

MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
  20. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, the original plan John Carpenter had was a series of Halloween holiday related movies with each flick having a completely different story and set of characters. So in truth, Halloween III was the one and only sequel that stuck to the original concept.

Unfortunately, when the debut film took off and the $ started rolling into the studio they demanded that Carpenter make a Halloween II. THAT started us down the road of tired sequels with Halloween III being the one exception.

MikeInFla, enro99, daca and 4 others like this.
  21. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

I saw it Thursday night and loved it. The true sequel to the original for me. Aside from the plot device used to get Michael and Laurie together (you know EXACTLY what I'm referring to, to those who have seen it. Thankfully it gets STOMPED out quickly...), I was mostly pleased with the story. Will definitely be seeing this one again! The Shape is back!

P.S. Carpenter's score is sweet!

enro99 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I too was floored by the score. That guy is good.

TheJosh, enro99 and mmars982 like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

24. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I liked it, but didn't think it lived up to the hype. I just don't care for them showing the human element to Micheal, even showing the side of his face ruins it for me. I prefer him as just pure evil.

I thought the scene of him on the loose with the trick or treaters was cool, having the camera follow him through the houses and watching him do his thing was fun. The story line was kinda predicable and boring at times though.

I remember reading that they had to re-do the ending, i'd like to know the original ending because this one was boring.

enro99 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

After watching Halloween II, or falling asleep to it rather. Halloween 2018 makes more sense.

I thought having the night continue is a genius idea for a sequel (II), and lends for a really cool platform for another sequel much later in the future (2018).

Since I had only seen Halloween, and none of the other films, 2018 seemed like they added a lot. It wasn't till I saw II that I noticed how much they highlighted from the other films in tone and events.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.