Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

2. amoergosum

...so awesome!!!

3. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

One of very few albums I own with hip hop on it! Agree, it's a great album. I got it a few years after it was released, and give it a listen from time to time. Did not know there was a remix version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"; maybe available on YouTube?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. Django

Django Forum Resident

I liked some of the songs, but there seemed to be loads of extra vocal tracks going "yo" "uh" "yeah" "come on" ect....in every song. That annoyed me.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The was just her version of the Michael Jackson wee-hee-hees and jam-ons (or whatever he said there). :D

I like Miseducation a lot. Whatever happened afterward to Lauryn is a real shame.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

That's how I look at this album. I spin it pretty often. At least a couple of times a year. It's a beautiful, moving album that has something meaningful to say.

I started a thread about pressings a while back but didn't get any replies. Since then I found a nice 1998 US original which sounds very nice. But I haven't actually compared it to the CD.

However, I can recommend that you avoid the 2015 Ruffhouse/Columbia pressing (Ruffhouse Records 88875021571, Columbia - 88875021571). I returned a copy of that. It had significant surface noise (after repeated washings) to the point that it was really un-listenable and, if I remember correctly, it was warped.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

YES!!!

It's about time, this is one of my favorite albums EVER!!! My older sister used to be obsessed with it back when I was really little so it's also very nostalgic to me. She was so talented and so beautiful and then just dissapeared. But you could tell she was never really into stardom anyway. Regardless the album is still amazing.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. amoergosum

9. Monosterio

Fullbug likes this.
  10. amoergosum

Wyclef Jean:
    "I’ve been told by many angry people who are also her fans that if I hadn’t messed with her she would not have gone so insane. My response to that is: you can talk as much as you want to talk, because talking is easy, because you’re not the one who was in my shoes. You’re not the one who had to be around that beautiful woman 24/7 sharing genius space with her."

11. Ten Years Gone

Ten Years Gone Forum Resident

Fullbug likes this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

"Genius space"? Is that what they call a 23 year old hitting on a 16 year old now?

Got it.

I do agree that he didn't make Lauren Hill what she is. Bad biology, bad chemicals.

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Django

Django Forum Resident

This is the one.

You're down with hip hop Lauren, we get it.

poolie likes this.
  14. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Are you really questioning the impact of that song? We get that you're not down with hip-hop but I'm fine with her choices regarding that song. It's perfect

Naughty Chord and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

it's a good song, just too much yo-ing.

16. amoergosum

Diamond Dog and bluesbro like this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Not going to jump all over the guy but that's not a flattering story from him. Reactionary parents and strict cultures produce many victims, that's for sure. No idea how that actually went down, but possibly the threat of another love interest in her life sparked him to make a move when he did. The rest would just be rationalization. At least he does say who the real talent is, even though he wants to claim sensei status.

Max Florian likes this.
  18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

so wycleff was one of the reasons for messing her up?

:mad:

19. Monosterio

Remember when Mariah Carey went loony for a while? I believe it was in the early 2000s. Anyway, that happened immediately after singer Luis Miguel broke up with her. He was her Wyclef.

Max Florian and JohnnyQuest like this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Monosterio likes this.
  21. Monosterio

What year did they do that, JohnnyQuest?

22. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Great album. Played it a lot back in 1999. Thanks for reminding me of this classic. Got the CD single for Everything Is Everything as well. GREAT live version of Ex-factor on that one.

23. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe it was 2001. Which is strange because they used the music for "Heartbreaker" instead the song they were parodying "Loverboy". :confused:

24. amoergosum

Max Florian likes this.
  25. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Definitely a classic. Pity she never followed it up.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.