Lawrence Schulman on Judy Garland, 11/29/15, on French Public Radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lawrence Schulman, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

Laurent Valière, producer and host of the Sunday morning program 42e rue [42nd Street] on the French public radio station France Musique, which is a station of Radio France, has invited me to speak about Judy Garland on November 29, 2015 at 11 A.M. The one hour program in French will be recorded live in Paris.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lawrence Schulman

Update: The title of the show, in French, will be "Judy Garland: Faces Cachées," or Hidden Sides. Rather than featuring Garland's greatest hits, it will highlight less familiar sides. Here is the playlist:

1. Blue Butterfly – Vitaphone – A Holiday in Storyland – 1929 (2 :01)

2. Bill – enregistré le 29/3/35, Démo Decca, Ethel Gumm - piano (3:23)

3. It’s Love I’m After – enregistré le ?/8/36, 20th Century Fox, Pigskin Parade (2:14)

4. Sunshowers – enregistré le 11/9/37, MGM, outtake, Thoroughbreds Don't Cry (2:28)

5. Comes Love – émission radiophonique du le 16/12/39, ouverture de l’Arrowhead Springs Hotel (2:45)

6. Singin’ in the Rain – enregistré le 10/9/40, MGM, Little Nellie Kelly (3:03)

7. My Ship – émission radiophonique du 16/2/53, Lux Radio Theatre: "Lady in the Dark" (2:08)

8. I Love Paris/April in Paris – enregistré à l’Olympia, Paris le 28/10/60 (3:37)

9. By Myself – enregistré le 9/5/62, I Could Go On Singing (4:29)

10. I’ll Plant My Own Tree – enregistré le 27/3/67, Valley of the Dolls, 20th Century Fox, outtake, inédit sur CD (2:32)

11. What Now My Love? – enregistré au Palace, New York, le 31/7/67, inédit sur CD (3:28)

I will be doing the show in French. I know producer/host Valière quite well at this point, and think it will be a delightful hour.

3. Lawrence Schulman

Because of the recent events in Paris, my interview about Judy Garland will not be broadcast live on the 29th, as planned. We will prerecord the program on the 30th for later broadcast.

4. Lawrence Schulman

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thanks, Lawrence!

Lawrence Schulman likes this.
  6. Lawrence Schulman

You're welcome, Steve. I pre-recorded the program (in French, s'il vous plait) on November 30th, 2015, which was the last day of my stay in Paris. The program will be the first to air the newly discovered "Lose That Long Face," which was expertly remastered by my colleague and good friend, John H. Haley. For many, listening to this find will give the goosebumps. It doesn't happen often.

7. Lawrence Schulman

8. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I listened. Good show, Lawrence! I don't speak French but I always get a kick out of hearing English words/phrases thrown in, like "remastered " and "Helen Morgan." And, of course, the music. Sublime. I especially enjoyed "Bill." She's what, like 12 or 13 there?

9. Lawrence Schulman

12. Thanks for listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.