Lazarus Cast Recording including three new Bowie tracks.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Colocally, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys Thread Starter

It is being discussed in the Blackstar thread, but I thought there should be a dedicated thread for this.
    Final Bowie recordings on Lazarus Cast Album - Michael C. Hall to perform at 2016 Mercury Prize - David Bowie Official Blog »

pghmusiclover and pobbard like this.
  2. Colocally

I am pretty happy with this, rather than a "Deluxe Edition" of Blackstar, at least we are getting almost all new tracks here, even though I suppose I won't listen to the cast album that much. Having all the Bowie stuff on one disc ,makes it pretty much an EP for Lazarus.

The three new songs were all recorded at the same time as Blackstar.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Well, yeah. I wasn't going to assume they were recorded since...

Calico likes this.
  4. Colocally

Thanks for your snarky comment. However, there was recordings made AFTER Blackstar was recorded, Tony Visconti said this around the time that David Bowie died. He was still making demos at the end of last year, whereas Blackstar was recorded earlier in 2015.

deany76, JL6161, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Hmm... his official site says "Standing alongside the cast’s interpretations of classics from his canon are the three final David Bowie studio recordings. Co-produced by Bowie and Tony Visconti and recorded with Donny McCaslin and his quartet, the same band that played on Bowie’s ★ album, these last three songs — “No Plan,” “Killing A Little Time,” “When I Met You”

So it seems these are his last recordings - by the same band as played on Blackstar - but not at the same time?

Curveboy likes this.
  6. Colocally

Maybe in a studio, but TV said he was recording demos until the end. The tracks here are not demos, as they would have been made for the play, so that the cast would have the songs. Is it Pedantry Monday or something? The songs that TV said he had recorded were new songs. These are not new songs as they'd already been performed to people.

7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Having a bad week?

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Zzzzzz

deany76 likes this.
  9. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

According to David Bowie Wonderworld, the Lazarus Cast LP/CD will include three previously unreleased Bowie cuts from the Blackstar recording sessions. The CD should be released in October.

David Bowie Wonderworld »

Haristar likes this.
  10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Then what will be included on the Blackstar reissue?

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I have to buy this to get the actual unreleased Bowie songs on vinyl?

Dammit.

12. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I find this to be a rather strange way to issue these.

andy75 likes this.
  13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There's more than enough to double dip here. Plus aren't these 3 songs already in the play?

Extended versions
    All 5 blackstar outtakes
    5 more post blackstar demos made by David
    2 tracks from the RSD single
    Several music videos and possibly some behind the scenes/outtakes stuff(if blu ray, add the 4-5 videos from TND as a bonus)
    Maybe add the Letterman Lazarus performance on the DVD
    Any David related Lazarus behind the scenes videos.
    Blackstar studio footage, glimpsed in the SUE music video
    Blackstar demos like "Pity" used on the RSD single.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    deany76 and Group of One like this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

15. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

soooooooooo
    there's no deluxe edition of Blackstar?

I'm confused

16. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Hard to know if the murmurs last week about the deluxe Blackstar were really about the Lazarus soundtrack. But I suspect they will be two different things.

1. An article with quotes from Visconti last spring mentioned that there were up to 5 finished outtakes from Blackstar (I believe) that would likely see release on a 2 CD deluxe edition this fall. That would follow the pattern set by The Next Day with The Next Day Extra.

2. There are 3 outtakes from the Blackstar sessions on this forthcoming Lazarus soundtrack, but crucially they are all songs that also appear (sung by the cast) on the soundtrack itself (just like the song "Lazarus", which also appears on the soundtrack in its "Bowie" version).

Now, whether the 5 outtakes mentioned in #1 are inclusive of the 3 Lazarus cuts in #2... that's anyone's guess, for now. But I still suspect this Lazarus soundtrack will be followed, perhaps in time for the holiday season, with a deluxe Blackstar, too.

17. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am happy with this release with the disc of Bowie tracks essentially being an EP of the new songs written for the play.

I am a little bemused by some peoples wish for a deluxe version of Blackstar. I am all for releasing the outtakes but why would you want to buy the original album again? I would prefer they just release an album of outtakes. I am sure the record company would too - a 'new' album would get more attention than a reissue.

18. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I noticed David Bowie's name next to Sound and Vision for the cast recordings. Anyone have further formation on that?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this release...I loved Michael C Halls version of Lazarus on Colbert...with the new Bowie songs this release is 2 birds, 1 stone with me.

I'm really surprised people are bummed about a deluxe version not being issued the same year the original came out...why would you want to purchase the same album twice in one year? I feel the the show Lazarus and album Blackstar are in many ways connected, I have no problem with the Bowie tracks coming with the cast recordings. All new music in an interesting light. It's all very Bowie

Bowie Fett, jsayers and pghmusiclover like this.
  19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Vinyl is only £30 on Amazon UK compared to £45 on his official site.

Were the wav files just 16/44?

21. pghmusiclover

22. pghmusiclover

23. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

pghmusiclover likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

Bowie Fett likes this.
  25. Kevin55