Learning The Ropes: DBX 166 suggested settings in a

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by O Don Piano, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi
    I am now helping out in the control room of the local Cable Access channel studio (stop snickering, OK?).

We have many multi-guest panel talk show forum programs, featuring City Officials (I said, please stop snickering!). All we have within our barely late 20th Century gear is a DBX 166 compressor/limiter (there's quite a limit on our budget obviously). We use Sony lavalier mics. I'm the only one who is concerned about and is addressing the quick and frequent accelerations in volume and distortion that occur when they talk over each other or start laughing.

Using this device, what is a good setting to help keep things at a decent level? I'm still kind of learning the whole Comp/limit thing. Looking at a manual does not help, as they never suggest settings for any occasion.

Thanks.

2. O Don Piano

Whoops. Title ends rather abruptly! Perhaps a Gort can erase the last 2 words??

3. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

If this is a two-channel unit, try this....it will require both channels, and they will be used in dual mono mode--not stereo linked.

The left channel's input will be your signal input from the send on the mixer. Set it up to act as a limiter, ratio set to infinity:1 or whatever is maximum. The threshold needs to be set quite high; its function will be to stop the gain reduction on the other channel (which will become a leveller) from getting below a certain point....the output level for this channel will have to be raised to +6 to +10 as needed.

Connect the left channel output to the right channel input.

The right channel ratio can be anywhere from 1.5:1 to 2:1 or so with the threshold set rather low. The output of this channel will be your output for signal return to the mixer.

Optimum performance is when normal conversation gives gain reduction values on the leveller of between 3 to 8 dB, and the loudest talking this side of yelling might push it to 10 to 12 dB, after which the limiter steps in to prevent the leveller gain reduction dipping further. (This helps reduce the annoying effect of the first few seconds of conversation at normal levels following a loud cough, sneeze or laughing being hard to hear until the leveller gets the gain back up.)

Tweak as needed for a natural effect. If all is working to plan softer speech should be louder and not as much of a strain to hear, and the loud parts won't blast everything into oblivion.

All you now need is to make sure the signal going into this is clean with a good s/n ratio at all times, and you're good to go!

Good luck!

4. O Don Piano

Thanks! That is a GREAT start! It is a two-channel unit.

Pretty much accomplishes what I am going for. My show is on Friday. I have a few moments in the control room tomorrow to apply this. The gain will be set as has been. Around 3-4:00.

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Two cents of advice: try it first, confirm the set up works alright and then go. Nothing ever works right the first time.

6. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Let us know how it works! :righton:

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I have this same unit. It was very popular in studios in the 80s I think. It's decent. I believe that there should be a downloadable PDF available at DBXes web site. Give it a look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.