Least Favorite Album By Your Favorite Artist.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimsoncing, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
    The Beatles - Let It Be
    Prince - New Power Soul
    Led Zeppelin - Presence
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

2. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

No you wont ...

It is a weak album by Beatles atandards . It was a GREAT half an album ... Ironically it was the covers that ruined it .Their songs were pretty strong . That what happens in the UK when they wont ( or try ) put singles on albums ...

3. Dylan is my favorite artist and the Grateful Dead were/still are my favorite band so, what the heck, I'll go with "Dylan & the Dead" as a least favorite ... :D

Have all the SBDs in flac from those shows and although none of the nights were consistently great there still were many more inspired moments during that little tour than what finally ended up on the "official" release.

4. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Calling All Stations-Genesis;Dirty Work-The Rolling Stones;Monster-R.E.M;Onion-Yes;Izitso-Cat Stevens;19-Chicago;Fear Of The Dark-Iron Maiden;St. Anger-Metallica;Who's Last-The Who.

5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Cat Stevens' "Izitso" seems to get slammed a lot. I guess I can understand how it would turn people off since it was such a left-turn for him. But that's one of the things I like about the record. Plus I think there's some strong songwriting on there and some very good work with some very primative sequencers.

I certainly like it more than "Numbers".

6. SgtMacca

SgtMacca New Member

The Beatles - Let It Be
    Paul McCartney & Wings - Wildlife

7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

My favorite Springsteen album!

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Mine too!

9. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Mark Knopfler:
    Golden Heart. His first solo.
    Then each solo album gets better than the last.

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I was going to include this, but then I remembered "Twenty 1". and "XXX". And I couldn't decide which of the three sucked the most.

Then I decided that if a favorite band of mine could have 3 such rotten albums, maybe they weren't one of my favorite bands after all....

11. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I'm afraid i have to disappoint you. That album from Pink Floyd is an incomprehensible animal for me. I tried to handle it, but i didn't succeed (no matter how i tried).
    Really it bores me to death every time i try to listen to it.
    It's wonderful that you love this album! :righton: Just to each their own. :cheers:
    P.S. I'm sorry for an erratum.

12. The Beatles "Let It Be"...good songs for the most part, but the post-production dubbing and remixing by Phil Spector ruined the "feel" and obliterated the original intent...the band live in the studio! Like many other fans, I felt the Glyn Johns remix should have been the official release from the start! "Let It Be...Naked" was only a partial solution and, in some ways, a wasted opportunity.:sigh:

13. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Loaded.

14. rudiger

rudiger Well-Known Member

Mark Knopfler - Kill to get crimson: not so bad, but flat, without peaks

15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

CCR's Mardi Gras
    GnR's The Spaghetti Incident
    Queen's Hot Space
    Metallica's Metallica
    The Cars' Door to Door
    B-52's Good Stuff
    AC/DC's Blow Up Your Video
    U2's Zooropa

16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I agree with you-at that point the Beatles as songwriters had surpassed anything they could choose to cover...that LP has several great, mature songs on it.

17. picchi

picchi Forum Resident

Beach Boys - "Keepin' the Summer Alive". Horribly limp production on most songs. And yet, I love two tracks from it, the "When Girls Get Together" :hide: recorded during the Sunflower era, and "Goin' On". Bruce Johnston nailed the production on that one, shoulda been a hit, at least on the AC charts.

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I agree with you with one exception: "Words of Love" is the best song they ever covered, IMO, and fits in very nicely with the originals on "Beatles For Sale".

But yeah, the rest of the covers on that album all seem like filler to me.

19. Kirkenheimer

Kirkenheimer New Member

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb-U2
    One by One-Foo Fighters
    Pablo Honey-Radiohead

I still like these albums, but they are the ones I listen to the least from these artists

20. Alice Cooper - Trash
    Queen - The Works (yes...I like Hot Space more)
    Kiss- Hot In The Shade
    AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
    Aerosmith - Just Push Play
    The Tubes - Now
    Metallica - St. Anger
    Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
    Van Halen - Van Halen III
    Elecric Light Orchestra - Zoom
    Cheap Trick - Special One
    Ian Hunter - Overnight Angels
    The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Rock Drill
    Foreigner - Unusual Heat

DWJ

21. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

"Beatles for Sale"

Dis-Honorable mention for another dud from another of my favorite artists while still in their peak period:

Tull "A Passion Play"

22. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I don't think I submitted anything earlier...

Elvis Costello - Goodbye Cruel World (something like "North" might win, but I haven't listened enough to really dislike it)

Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan

Ryan Adams - 29 (but I've learned to like it more than when it came out in 2005)

23. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Joe Satriani - the last one...
    Joni Mitchell - the last one...

*sigh*

24. Get out from under your chair. "When Girls Get Together" is a wonderful song.

So are:
    "Keepin' the Summer Alive"
    "Livin' with a Heartache"
    "Santa Ana Winds"

25. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

"Same Old Man" by John Hiatt.

He's in fine form vocally, but the songs just are not my cup of tea and the band seems to be lacking in chops. Still, there are some three or four good songs in the mix.

"The Town And the City" - Los Lobos
    "The Last DJ" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Both are concept albums and both suffer the fate of some concept albums: the focus is so much on the lyrics that the music gets lost in the songwriting process. The lyrical theme of the Lobos' album had had a precursor in their song "Tony Y Maria" from their Good Morning Aztlan album, but the songs on "Town in the City" don't come anywhere near. Yes, they have Tchad Blake's mixing trickery going on on the album, but besides making distorted guitars sound like the strings of a harp and making banging drums sound extremely hollow and flat, that doesn't do anything. That fake dog barking a solo from out of the echo chamber is a really silly effect that comes across as contradictory to the lyrical theme. What I miss most about this album is the good melodies that the Lobos usually write. And Cesar Rosas seems to be on autopilot, churning out some more of his standard cumbias. Please Lobos, allow him to try out something else next time.
    Same goes for the Petty album. The title track is quite catchy, and there are one or two pleasant piano ballads, but the rock songs just drag along without much of a melody. The only exception is the "Man Who Loves Women" which seems to have been heavily inspired by contributing musician Jon Brion's song "Walking Through Walls" from his only solo album to date.

There is one more album I could name, but it's fairly new and just came out in the US and I don't want to destroy its chances on the market by a bad review, because it's by an independent artist.

I guess all of these albums would have benefitted greatly from more dynamics, because that would have added another dimension. I find the lack of dynamics in a recording often the most obvious with albums, the songs of which for whatever reason do lack a dimension or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.