Least Favorite Rolling Stones' LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stonesstein, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A good point, but I would argue a song like Winning Ugly is not head and shoulders above anything. An extreme case though.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Satanic, Should NOT even be considered mediocre compared to anything else on that list.
    While Undercover, Steel Wheels, Dirty Work have their moments, Satanic is a MASTERPIECE in comparison to anything that came after Goats Head Soup.

qm1ceveb and Man at C&A like this.
  3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

So for those of us who can't vote because we don't own all these albums, what do the results look like?

4. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

At this point it seems everybody hates Dirty Work the most. :biglaugh:
    But I voted for B to B.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    telepicker97 likes this.
  5. JivingSisterFanny

JivingSisterFanny Well-Known Member

Everything post Tattoo You. ☺

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. JivingSisterFanny

YES!!!

Saint Johnny and Spazaru like this.
  7. JivingSisterFanny

Just your opinion, much like I think everything after Tattoo You is rubbish. Not all Stones fans think everything they put out is listenable. Not looking to argue here, simply stating what I think.

johnnybrum and Hillel abramov like this.
  8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Love the entire Undercover album and find Dirty Work a hoot... even Steel Wheels has the majestic "Continental Drift"... my vote is for Bridges...

Saint Johnny and Hillel abramov like this.
  9. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Bridges would be considered a late period triumph compared the banal dreck of Steel Wheels, and a late period masterpiece when compared to Dirty Work.

Keith's song "Theif In the Night" alone, add in "Might As Well Get Juiced", "Lowdown", and "Flip The Switch", and it's got some truly great stuff on it.

It's just a bit overlong and the slow songs at the end don't help -maybe (can't believe I'm saying this) 3 Keith solo tunes is maybe 1 or 2 too many...but Bridges has aged incredibly well for how maligned it seems to be.

10. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Everything after Dirty Work is tied for crappiest.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They are all three pretty bad.

Hillel abramov likes this.
  12. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Of those listed, Steel Wheels.

There are albums I listen to far less (like the debut), but Steel Wheels was a major disappointment—very sterile, in my view.

telepicker97 likes this.
  13. telepicker97

How can that be true, when Dirty Work is actually the "crappiest" of any crap they've ever done?

Nothing on Dirty Work rocks as hard as "Flip the Switch"...
    Nothing on Dirty Work has a groove as wide and convincing as "Love is Strong"...
    Nothing on Dirty Work has the old school blues stomp of "Back of My Hand"...

Dirty Work is a limp turd compared to everything that came before AND after, my friend.

Which leads me to believe that the only people who dare utter such blatant nonsense are those who have obviously not listened past Dirty Work.

Szeppelin75, Spazaru and ohnothimagen like this.
  14. telepicker97

Fact. Dirty Work may be their worst album...but my least favorite is Steel Wheels, for that very reason you listed - sterile. No balls.

The live versions of those songs are where it's at.

jpmosu likes this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'd be brazen to say that at least some of the people who bash Dirty Work have never heard the entire album, or at least haven't listened to it since 1986. "Oh, the critics said it sucked, therefore it must suck!", that kinda thing...

We'll see how the land lies if and when I ever deign to do a Dirty Work song by song discussion!:D

Hillel abramov likes this.
  16. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

This question is very easy to answer: All 4 studio albums after Bill Wyman left. Don't get me wrong, each has some great songs but no comparison to the work they did up untill and including Steal Wheels. As Dylan once said "when Wyman left they became a funk band".

Spazaru likes this.
  17. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Nah, I'm not buying the bridge you're selling...

18. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Ha ha ha! It's cool. Everyone has an opinion and that's mine. I worked in record stores when I was 17 and Dirty Work came out. We played it a lot. I'm not saying it's great, but at least it's funny. I don't find anything they've done since then to be entertaining at all. But then, I love Emotional Rescue, and a lot of Stones fans don't.

19. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Yeah, a funk band called The Darryl Jones Project!

Hillel abramov and YardByrd like this.
  20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I've always had a soft spot for Bridges, to me is a great album, a bit long yes but i it has some songs like: Flip The Switch, Saint of Me, Out of Control, You Don't have to mean it, Too Tight; plus it has a different sound then most Stones records.

I believe there are great songs in all the Stones late albums even Dirty Work.

ohnothimagen and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  21. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Bigger bang rocks!

telepicker97 likes this.
  22. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I've changed my opinion on Bridges, after giving it another listen due to the people on this forum.

ohnothimagen and telepicker97 like this.
  23. Szeppelin75

It does, the only one of the Stones studio albums missning from my vinyl collection, well that and No. 2 but all the songs or almost all the songs on No.2 are in the US released 12 x 5 and NOW.

BB does rock harder than all the post Tattoo You albums.

24. Szeppelin75

it is a great album and it has like i said a great sound and flavour to it.

telepicker97 likes this.
  25. Bridges To Babylon is my least favorite.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is by far my favorite Stones album. I think Voodoo Lounge would have been a much better option in the poll instead of TSMR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.