Leben cs300xs & Integrated amp demos: to tube or not to tube?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Rafer X -The Harbeths are biwireable-correct? Have you thought about Biamping them? On my Von Schweikert VR4jr mrk3s I have a Coincident Audio Dynamo 34se (8 watts se) for mids/hi and and a Emerald Audio 100.2 se class D amp (150 into 4) for my woofers.Stellar midrange/tight bass-the best of both worlds! And a lot cheaper way to get it than with some high dollar integrateds.That being said I wouldn't mind replacing my separate line and phone stages in front of it with a good integrated like the ONO with phono and still keep my class d for bass.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I was surprised to see this stat for the Sudgen — Signal/noise: >83dB

3. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

The 30.1 are not bi-wireable. :)

4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, while I'm waiting for my Audio Note Oto SE Line to arrive from the UK, I gratefully and thankfully (and very sadly, they will be missed – absolutely brilliant, gorgeous amps) returned the Sugden A21AL and A21SE amplifiers to Don at Don Leman Audio in Surrey, and he continues to be the one of the greatest dealers around.
    When I arrived bearing the two boxes of Sugdens he asked me what I was going to use until my Oto arrived, to which I said "I have no idea. Nothing I guess."
    To which he promptly responded, "Want to borrow something to tide you over?"
    Please go see this man for your Sugden, Blue Circle, Skylan or Harbeth needs. This industry needs more people like Don.
    So, I now have the very heavy and very well-built Blue Circle CS integrated amp in my home. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but will definitely post my thoughts in the days to come.
    The classic Blue Circle CS integrated amplifier is what started a big part of the buzz for Gilbert Yeung’s little Ontario-based company. Yeung’s philosophy is that it’s better to spend money on a product’s sound than on its looks. While I agree to a point, I find the CS very charming-looking indeed.

[​IMG]

inperson, uphoria6 and jupiterboy like this.
  5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I think he has suceeded.;)

jeff

raferx likes this.
  6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What would hi-fi be without funky logos?

raferx likes this.
  7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Blue Circle have made some very funky things. Didn't Gilbert, just for fun, make an amp inside a woman's shoe? I think it was blue (not surprisingly).

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  8. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

That makes perfect sense to me, and sounds in nothing but good taste.

9. raferx

With only about 30 minutes warm-up (I find SS sounds much better after a couple days of being on), this little amp sounds very laid back and inviting. A classic sound for sure: all about the midrange. Not a ton down low, but the mids and highs are very smooth and neutral. Keep in mind it also listed for roughly 1/4 of what the Sugden A21SE lists for.

ZenArcher likes this.
  10. raferx

Seems like custom, in-house designed and built pots for everything below the M9 in the pre's and the Ongaku in the integrated's with stepped attenuators above that...

http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/audionote/Audio-Note-volume-control.htm

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

It's time I contact Don again to discuss Blue Circle amps. The Katlas looks like it might fit the bill and I'd love to "buy Canadian" if possible. In the past when listening to Harbeth speakers the possibility of a home demo was never brought up. Perhaps his viewpoint on this has changed.

raferx likes this.
  12. raferx

I'm sure Don would be happy to hear from you.

13. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

You should at least hear how the Harbeths sound with an LFD integrated before you buy anything else.

bhazen likes this.
  14. raferx

I wish I could have heard the LFD with my M30.1s, but none available in Western Canada that I know of.
    Only LFD dealer is in Ontario – 2,000 miles away – so couldn't even go and demo one. I really wish someone in Vancouver would bring them in. Same goes for Croft.
    The Oto SE is really something special, and I have zero regrets going the Audio Note route.
    The Oto created the widest, deepest and most holographic sound stage I've heard through Harbeths yet, the realism to the sound was palpable. Physically and emotionally, the most engaging amplifier for me so far.
    Tubes are like a drug.

15. raferx

16. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Sorry...I didn't read far enough into the thread before responding. The Audio Note Oto SE is an incredible choice.

raferx likes this.
  17. raferx

What amp are you using?

18. raferx

You said regardless of efficiency the volume knob stayed pretty much between 9 and 11 o'clock?
    How would you characterize the difference between the M30.1s and the AN-Js with the Leben 300?

19. isshl5

isshl5 Forum Resident

I owned a cs300. The plain version. I bought it out of the retro look initially. Gradually love the tube sound. I am a sucker for Japanese equipment. Drove it with harbeth P3 and it sounds nice. It sounds nice with SHL5 too. Why I sold it? Because the unit is running hot. I don't know why and worried that component life will deteriorate further with the heat inside.

Of course I'm still very keen on CS300XS and trying to get one. Anybody keen to touch on the internal temperature of the cs300? Last time I don't turn on air conditioning while using. Maybe with aircon, it will cool off a bit.

20. isshl5

isshl5 Forum Resident

Power wise with P3 is ok. But the control is not as good as a class A SS amp. Maybe it is the P3 small driver, as I drive it very hard with demanding music. Vocal wise, it is sweet sounding.

I still kick myself for selling it and wonder if I should explore other tube amp against leben. I wonder heat issue in tube amp is an issue in long term.

21. raferx

Tubes run hot, just their nature. But my class-A tube amp doesn't run even close to the temps that previous solid state class-A amps did.

22. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Had a Line Magnetic LM-211.

beowulf and raferx like this.
  23. raferx

Beautiful!!!

24. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Had? Ok what gives ... your profile is empty? I remember you had great things to say about the LM gear, are you in the midst of a change up?

25. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I've since switched to a Leben CS-300XS. Works great with the 30.1 (no matter what Alan Shaw may think ;))

Campbell Saddler, beowulf and raferx like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.