Led Zeppelin 2014 Remasters - I-III Vinyl Format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

You may wanna think big picture before returning these. In like 40 years, the kids today are gonna be nostalgic for some good old digital EQ compression sizzle a la JD/JP euro palmtree stampers. It'll go something similar to this:

"Have you heard the new Justin Bieber Remasters on 90 gram, post-consumer recycled low VOC Dilithium vinyl?
    "No. Is it good?"
    "Well the bonus lasers, biometric bass probe, and holographic swag are dope, but musically it lacks the old school high frequency digital sizzle of his early low-bitrate Youtube work."
    "Yeah that's what I figured, they just don't make algorithms like they used to."

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The distortion is not any type of giveaway to digital. You hear the sound of distortion on the master tape that will always be on every copy of the album original mix ever produced. You can hear a similar interpretation of the master tape on the original analog first US pressing by Robert Ludwig.

3. leoscarax77

leoscarax77 Well-Known Member

Listening and comparing again LZ III to the original UK LP, and LZ I to the Classic Records 200g LP, here are a few more things I noticed
    - LZ III: on "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp", the hi-hat is much more prominent on the original UK A5/B5 LP. They seem to have tamed it quite a little bit on the remaster!
    - on the 2014 LZ I, as someone else has stated, there's a very noticeable pre-echo at the beginning of each side. Much more than on the Classic. Then, on the other tracks, it's not as loud, just a very little pre-echo, same on both versions.
    - LZ I is in fact cut a little bit louder on the 2014 remaster than on the Classic. But it is still at a very reasonnable volume. LZ II and III remasters are cut at a lower volume compared to the RL and the UK A5/B5, respectively.
    - the cymbals sound a little bit better on the Classic LZ I (for example, I compared the beginning of "How Many More Times", the ride cymbal is a little bit more "percussive" on the remaster, and a little softer on the Classic). But overall I think I still prefer the 2014 remaster. Better bass (especially noticeable on the bass drum!), no sibilance at all, same soundstage. "Black Mountain Side" sounds also better on the remaster: better acoustics, tablas have more presence/body.

mrob0000 likes this.
  4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree.
    Again, I am thrilled about these releases and think that new vinyl releases of Zep are long overdue. They are nice, pressings are flat and quiet, but they are not the originals, they don't have that something.... hard to best all analog from fresh tapes. But - these are a great alternative to what seems like a dwindling supply of quality originals. And with the prices on the Classic Records reissues...these are a no brainer for those without originals/Classics.

MikeJedi and Humalong like this.
  5. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

mcenters likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'm also hearing a lot of detail I never noticed before and Since I've Been Loving You had me wondering if my system was making extra noise for some reason. No, seems like it must have been detail I've either never noticed before or was obscured. Very clearly hear the amp humming and other background sounds.
    I think my favorite of all three sets may be the LZ III companion disc. I love the different takes on the songs and on most actually prefer it to the actual release. The extra detail really makes that disc sparkle too IMO.

7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I agree. I finally had a chance to listen to it yesterday without anyone home and not having to worry about keeping the volume down. Side 2 is probably my favorite. I just really loved catching all that detail (and the missing stuff!) on Gallows and That's The Way. Nice to finally have Jennings Farm Blues on an official release as well.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. First of all, I've got to say just how much I enjoy going through the treads here. I've learned SO much about all things Led Zeppelin. I own an original LZII red label CDN LP, and only now finding out I might be this close to owning a holy grail RL LZII. I didn't even know the significance of an RL LZII till I started reading the posts here. So to all of you out there, my thanks for enlightening and broadening my knowledge!!

for what it's worth, I have purchased all three new single vinyl reissues, all with the P.USA stamp in the deadwax despite the fact that the label says "Manufactured In Germany". All I know is that this is the cleanest vinyl I've EVER SEEN and heard. Hold those suckers up to the light and I swear the grooves reflect back the light like no other LP in my collection (certainly not the recent Beatles reissues, which I thought were pretty good at the time).

Because of supply constraints in my area, I bought the 2CD sets to get the companion discs. I really like the Olympia Show from Paris. Early Led Zep certainly kicked ass. As for the other companion discs, I really like the new unreleased stuff ("La La", "Keys To The Highway"). I don't particularly care for some of the alternate mixes and backing tracks. Probably won't play them all that much in future, and IMHO glad I didn't fork over the extra cash to get the vinyl format. I would have preferred more live concerts, similar to "How The West Was Won". some of those early Fillmore concerts would have been nice too.

The vinyl pressings are incredible. My system is modest at best: Project Debut turntable with red 2M Ortofon cartridge, running through a new Marantz PM5004 through a pair of PSB Image 6 speakers. I can only compare against my original CDN pressings (some original, others I purchased in the mid 70's) and these sound great. Flat, noise-free. My jaw literally dropped open. Truly great job.

I'm no expert and I couldn't possibly compete with the tech experts here, who can hear squeaky drum pedals and such. Just a fan of the band, a record collector who just goes with what I hear through my ears. Hard to believe in 2014 we are getting freshly pressed Led Zeppelin vinyl at an affordable price. Can't wait for the next set of releases.

Keep them posts coming! You guys/gals are awesome!

9. Frankly, I've never heard of the stuff!! I've never seen it in any records stores in Toronto (probably not looking hard enough :D)

Will have to google search to see if I can purchase over the net. Thanks for the review!!

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's called digiphobia.

stevenalejandro and Tommyboy like this.
  11. Agree and these not harsh at all. Btw Amazon will take anything back for any reason

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This deserves the post of the year award (maybe even decade). I'm not a fan of overly bright mastering but I too have often wondered if some folks who seem to be fans of "warm" pressings just have their systems tweaked to compensate for dull releases and then when something bright comes along, it sounds terrible to them. I remember noticing one in my university dorm that all the folks with stereo systems had their treble turned to about 3 o'clock just to get decent treble.

Same sort of thing goes to some extent for loudness. I read someone earlier complain that these new LZ releases made his head hurt at high volume and I couldn't help but wonder from his description of how he listened if he has a specific volume control position at which he listens to old LPs and then because these are a bit louder, if he puts the volume control at the same position, they're overly loud. After all, turn anything up too loud on all but a megawatt PA system and you'll get lots of uncomfortable distortion. The thing is, if he just turned the new LZ up to what he perceived as a loud level and not the same position for the control, they might sound fine. Certainly when these are level matched with other releases, they sound as good if not better. Same goes for the treble control, adjust to the sound, not to the eye.

LeeS, 389 Tripower, Tommyboy and 6 others like this.
  13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

But they will charge return shipping if it's not a justified return. I'm probably going to return my LZI SD box because when I opened it there was a split at the very top of the spine. The contents are fine, but that little split bugs me. That will be returnable with Amazon paying the shipping, but returning because you don't like the mastering is on your own dime.

14. I've never paid ever for returns with them. They have the pull down menu and I never abuse it but once or twice if ididn't like I chose something like not what I thought it was or different ....

15. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Ok, I haven't really noticed those. I've only returned a couple of times for defective pressings, notably the Rainbo-pressed Beatles vinyl box. Luckily I only had one LP with non-fill problems, but since it was the box, they sent me a complete second one. Ironically, since I'd complained to Capitol, they also sent me a replacement LP!

16. tnt95

tnt95 Forum Resident

I honestly believe if the LZII remaster had been THE standard for the last 40 years and the RL was just released, there would be a lot more critiquing (less detail, etc) of the RL than what we have seen for the remaster.

stevenalejandro, vanye, sassi and 3 others like this.
  17. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Digital or not, my copy of II is flawless. i Heard things like never before. And i've had several copies of II thorughout the years (never a RL). Always seemed a bit "muddy" might be the correct term. not with these releases. Can't wait for my copy of III and I (deluxe) to arrive. Can't really wait for the reissues of PG and ITTOD. These reissues are winners in my book. My ears like very much what i Heard. the way i see it to get a good clean copy of II would set you back at least 40-50 bucks if not more. These new ones for less than $25 and no surface noise, no ticks, no pops, no warps, no off center records, no non-fill, count me in for the rest of these reissues.

18. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Absolutely! I'd wager the new remasters are closer to the sound from the original masters too; RL put his 'stamp' (literally in the deadwax :p) on this particular vinyl release, and it's one that many have preferred above all others for decades, but I can't help thinking its rarity plays a part too...

Regardless, I've just been playing the LZ1 Deluxe vinyl on my SP-10/mk2 and I really am highly impressed! Far better than my mid 70s UK pressing. I must admit to have being opposed to digitally sourced vinyl, but this has changed my mind completely! Detail without being bright & thin, full bodied, superb bass that really kicks - it has it all! A remaster done right - rejoice!!! Gorgeously pressed vinyl too - this is how a premium release should be done! Bravo to all involved - can't wait for the next batch!

Very happy with how these have turned out :)

John.

P.S. The biggest compliment I can give this release is if I didn't know these had been cut from 24/192 digital, I honestly would NOT have suspected it in the slightest. They really do sound that good to me. And I am rarely impressed by remasters.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    beachbum, swedgin, russellsd and 5 others like this.
  19. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

P.S. I wish the Bowie back catalogue would be given the same treatment...

20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I wish the same for early Pink Floyd, later Stones and lots of 90s stuff.

21. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Amazon shows LZ III as "preparing for shipping"... :wiggle:

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  22. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Are you sure its Optimal?

Anyway, I now have the regular versions of both of the US and EU variants and visually speaking, the Pallas (P-USA in the deadwax) is a lot better quality. There are scuffs (one long drag mark on each record) on all of my non-Pallas presses and all three are also a bit dished.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

A
    And I wish for pretty much any music I can think of to sound as good as these new LZ remasters. Sadly, thats not gonna happen which is why we should cherish the jewel we have here. A job like this can only be done this well if a love of the music is involved. That's clearly the case here. I'm still pinching myself.....

24. Hey, not an attack but I'd like to ask you 2 questions:

1/ Can you elaborate on your analog setup? Specifically, which Shure cart/stylus?
    2/ Have you ever heard a first US RL/ss cut of LZII? It is joyously delicious in how it conveys the originally recorded tape saturation, overload and distortion.

Regarding the actual media, the surface noise does not deter me from listening to my other 5 vintage copies of this cut but it is nice to see them even get that right here too.

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have a set of Pallas, and Optimal and they are the same. I read it was Optimal, I have that weird mark in the deadwax that kind of looks like this IiiI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.