Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

At least 8 Million people in the United States beg to differ.

2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

They're one of my favorite bands, but the recent bonus discs of "alternate" versions and "unreleased" tracks left me underwhelmed. Since I like to listen to discs in their entirety, and don't just save what I like to mp3, these are discs I would never want to listen to all the way through, and thus don't need them. I might be interested in a live album, but it would have to sound great and have something other than jams that clock in at 25 minutes--I don't need another version of "Dazed and Confused".

3. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

[Qdon't ="violetvinyl, post: 18253200, member: 33488"]What songs, specifically, on PG 'suck'? And, which ones are 'very good'?[/QUOTE]
    I dont care for most of the outtakes at all.

1.Custard Pie
    2.The Rover(HOTH outtake)
    3.Houses Of The Holy(HOTH outtake)

Side 4 is completely botched affair

1.Night Flight (71 outtake)
    2.Wanton Song
    3.Boogie With Stu (71 outtake)
    4.Black Country Woman (HOTH outtake)
    5.Sick Again

Everything else is very good LZ music.

PG would have made a substantial single LP but as a double it just doesn't hold up especially after side 3.

Not as weak as HOTH but still not on par with the promise of the first 4 LPs.

4. samthesham

Obviously I am more critical than the masses when it comes down to musical preferences.

I don't run with the pack so to speak.

5. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Grew up less than a mile from the school (Stengård) where they had their first gig...

[​IMG]

6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

after the Super Deluxe "exclusive tracks" forget it

7. What does 'more critical' mean to you? The masses LOVE Zeppelin and they love Physical Graffiti, as someone already pointed out.

8. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

He's entitled to his opinion but it doesn't mean he's right because he's not.

WarEagleRK likes this.
  9. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I don't go for ''hypes'', regardless of who it is.

samthesham likes this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Nah it was a joke. Relax. It was worth being picked on about. Someone saying "that's crazy talk" was hardly anything worth treating it like it was a personal insult, much less playing a victim by calling someone out for the offense.

11. samthesham

You'OTE="WarEagleRK, post: 18258236, member: 68170"]Nah it was a joke. Relax. It was worth being picked on about. Someone saying "that's crazy talk" was hardly anything worth treating it like it was a personal insult, much less playing a victim by calling someone out for the offense.[/QUOTE]
    You're right baaaad week.

Thanks!

WarEagleRK likes this.
  12. samthesham

Now that I am in my mid-60s I critique my music more than I did in my younger years & when I worked in F.M. radio (1971-1977). And had to have everything by everyone.

Regardless the quality.

Let's be honest side 4 of PG is a bunch of outtakes from prior LPs no less and a couple of subpar songs.

They should have done like Johnny Winter did on 1969s Second Winter and made it a 3 sided set.

Winter said he couldn't give us anymore but did not want to give us any less.

IMO PG would have been a much stronger effort if they simply omitted all of side 4.

I was like most everybody the first 20 yrs of listening now 43 yrs later I don't even bother with side 4 of PG.

It detracts from the power of those first 3 sides.

Try listenening to sides 1-3 back to back then listen to sides 1-4 back to back and you will see my point.

Possibly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I need my "Sick Again" though . . .

samthesham likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I bought the multi-disc CD's of the last batch of remasters. I like how they sound.

That said - I hated what they did with the cover art (negative images, really?!? The booklets were a huge missed opportunity given us some pictures I never want to see more than once. The bonus discs were..... with the one exception of Coda.... one time listens too. I appreciate more devoted fans might be happy with the SDE's, but I looked at them and knew immediately that for once I could take the cheaper option without feeling as though I'd missed out.

We're entering the end game for physical media, at least digitally. Artists need to be more aware of this. Big releases, such as this reissue program, need to think about making a final statement about the classics. Hate to say it over again, but just as Tull are doing. Give us historical context. Give us some quotes from the artists. Give us inspirations and background info. And give us something new that night reinvigorate the music (Tull did a remix and 5.1). In short, give us an artifact.

Not this. The CD releases, for all the fuss on release, feel lazy.

15. samthesham

Fair enough we all have our vices.

Mine is all of side 3 over & over & over.....

Personally I see side 3 as 1 of the bands greatest album side but I put Presence above anything they cut post 1971.

Nobodys Fault is logical step after what I consider the definitive LZ song Whole Lotta Love & Achilles is a peak in their history.

Achilles & Nobodys Fault could easily come out of the 69-71 era.

Nobodys Fault But Mine can knock down walls just like WLL did/could and will continue to do for subsequent generations to come

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

The only thing I care about is getting the Sunset Sound mix of the entire IV album. It would take two of me to care less about any live stuff they put out.

17. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I don't care if anyone cares or not.

18. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

For me Zeppelin was John Bonham,i am a Guitar player of many years but nobody has ever made me want to play music more than the the Swing King.......Zeppelins music worked because it was piloted by a swagger that in my opinion is unmatched......anything that documents his greatness is fine by me.

19. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Side four
    No. Title
    1. "Night Flight" (Jones, Page, and Plant) December 1970 – January 1971 (Led Zeppelin IV outtake) 3:38
    2. "The Wanton Song" January–February 1974 4:08 (PG Sessions)
    3. "Boogie with Stu" (Bonham, Jones, Page, Plant, Ian Stewart) December 1970 – January 1971 (Led Zeppelin IV outtake) 3:52
    4. "Black Country Woman" May 1972 (Houses of the Holy outtake) 4:24
    5. "Sick Again" January–February 1974 (PG Sessions)

I wouldn't say The Wanton Song and Sick Again were sub-par. They were played quite a bit live. I liked the other tracks as well.

I thought that if Black Country Woman and Houses of the Holy were included on Houses of the Holy (LP) instead of D'yer Maker and The Crunge, it would have made that lp better.

samthesham likes this.
  20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin are the dinosaur gods. Even after dinosaurs could no longer rule the earth, there is still Led Zeppelin. Physical Graffiti, along with the 10 Commandments, shall live as long as the earth continues to revolve around the sun. Led Zeppelin is THE WORLD SONGBOOK that all others stand in 2nd place too. I too do not care about a 5oth anniversary. Immortal gods such as Led Zeppelin do not need your puny human mark of an arbitrary point in time. Led Zeppelin transcends time. As all gods do.

21. samthesham

I do so detest D'yer Ma'ker & The Crunge

22. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Repeated playing of Stairway To Heaven backwards would foil those mere mortals you refer to as "Christians."

samthesham likes this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Is it the 50th anniversary of selling their souls to the devil?

If so, maybe they'll just celebrate by re-financing.

samthesham likes this.
  24. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Wow smh unreal

25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

What a surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.