Led Zeppelin DVD-A details

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

2. danstone

danstone Senior Member

Hopefully, this is just the first on many more Zep high res releases to come! *crossing fingers*

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Not quite true. The audio for "Immigrant Song" on the DVD is the same as from "How the West Was Won", IIRC, although the video was from a different show.

Regards,

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

What a shame the tracks are at 24/48 resolution. I get the feeling they did a bit-down conversion from a higher resolution mix (pure speculation on my part..) to keep this thing on 2 discs. I'm not too excited.

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

My first thought was that they probably mixed this in 24/48 to begin with.

Regardless, two of my best sounding 'classic rock' DVD-As (Frank Zappa and Donald Fagen) are 24/48. I think these discs could sound excellent.

6. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Heck, I just hope the packaging is better than the 3 x CD. Is there such a thing as a "2 x super-jewel case?"

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Alison Krauss & Union Station Live SACD release had the two discs on the same spindle in the case. I'm not sure I like this approach, but I bet they could do it with a DVD-Audio case, too.

Regards,

8. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

So is the Frampton: comes alive sacd Regards Todd

9. Reginald

Reginald New Member

This is an analogue source just pulled from the vaults a year ago. It should be high-res 96/24! I'm shocked and appalled to the point that even thought I'm a huge Zep fan that I might not buy this....well, okay I'll buy it but I'll complain about it. ;)

Sorry but there is no excuse for this one; it's an analogue source where the master tapes have been in Jimmy's hand's in the last year, no excuse for it not being 96/24. It’s not a digital source like the Nightfly. Arghhhh!!!!!!!!

If they shortchanged the resolution to keep it to 2 discs, which is my current bet them I’m really aghast. What’s the point of a high-res format carrying a low-res signal unless the original recording was in low-res digital and hence there is dubious benefit to up sampling it.

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

10. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Yes there is. My copy of Indian Architexture by Padmavibhushan Dr. Ali Akbur Khan on Water Lily Acoustics is housed in one. The two discs are held back to back on a pivoting tray.

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

i'll stick with the DVD-V for now, and wait for the back catalog to come out in hi-rez.....Zep 2 is the one I'm waiting for!

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Bring on the Zeppelin studio albums on DVD-Audio!

As for How The West Was Won, it was an analog recording! Why not release it in 24/96 or 24/192?

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

The multis are analog, but it's not an analog mix. Surely though it has to be higher res than 24/48. Who works in 24/48 anymore? I doubt Jimmy Page does. I'd bet this is a 24/96 or higher mix dumbed down for the consumer format, and that really burns me. I won't buy it. I'd sooner buy an LP set if say Classic put one out.

14. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

The SACD of the Simple Minds greatest hits comp is packaged this way as well. Just like a normal slimline jewel case, but in a "super" style. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work in the DVD-A form factor.

Ryan

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I can understand people's frustration that this disc is not being presented in either 96/24 surround or 192/24 stereo. It may be in 48/24, as was stated, to keep it all on a minimum amount of discs.

That said, why are we damning a product before we actually have the chance to hear the released DVD-A. It may sound absolutely fine in 48/24, and if it sounds better than the previously released redbook version, then what's the real problem?

Trust your ears, not numbers on a paper.

16. Mike V

Mike V New Member

If that were the case I would have bought the CD. People say it sounds great, and I believe them. But I was holding out for a high res version, and we're not getting one (IMO). Then when higher capacity discs come out, in 10 years we could look forward to a high-res 24/96 remaster :rolleyes: . I'm disappointed.

If mastered from the original digital mix, I'd bet vinyl will probably beat the DVD-A stereo tracks handily, assuming of course a vinyl set ever comes to fruition (I've only heard rumor).

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well, it has been said by some, and maybe more technically savvy people can confirm, that increasing bit depth from 16 bits to 24 bits has a more pronounced effect than merely increasing sampling rate from 48 to 96 (or even 192).

So if what I state is true, than 48/24 is "hi-rez" with respect to the fact that the redbook CD can only be 44/16.

Regardless, I will be buying this DVD-A (even though I have the redbook CD), because 1) I am obsessive, 2) I like to "waste" money and 3) I still consider 48/24 "hi-rez" and there will be a surround mix which is, obviously, not on the redbook CD.

18. Michael St. Clair

I guess the moral is that people don't want truth in advertising. Do like SACD does for many titles, upsample from low and medium-res PCM but don't mention it, and nobody will complain.

Real music lovers don't buy titles 'by the numbers'.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:thumbsup: Amen brother!!!

20. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Absolutely right. A lot of "real music lovers" swear by MP3s. What's a little shave off a disc's resolution?

Here's a link for vinyl a search turned up. Looks like Classic might have it in October:

Vinyl preorder & release date

21. Mike V

Mike V New Member

You could well be right, and I'm not arguing otherwise. This thing could sound really great! I'm just not too impressed, probably because I don't have a multichannel setup, so highest resolution stereo tracks are what would sell me. I'm sure I'd be REALLY looking forward to this set if I did have MC :D.

It is Zeppelin, so if the vinyl wasn't coming, I'd definitely buy it.

22. Michael St. Clair

And what makes you think that the laquers won't be cut from 24/48 masters? :laugh:

23. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Lacquers!! Not acetates.

I dunno. Blind faith? I guess I'll have to trust my ears :D

PS: They don't have to save bandwidth on the LPs! I think I'm safe in my assumptions...

24. Reginald

Reginald New Member

IMHO, I think the point is that by definition this could and should have been a better product than it appears it will be. 48/24 may sound great, certainly better than 44.1/16 but ceteris paribus not as good as 96/24. It’s an analogue source and the master tapes are in hand. I just don’t see any justification for 48/24. Yes it may still sound great, but it will not sound as good as it could have been - that’s what burns me. Sure, I’ll buy it but I’ll always wonder how much better it should have sounded. And while moving to 24 bits is a huge improvement over 16 bits don’t think that moving from 48 to 96 is not another big leap too.

:realmad:

25. Michael St. Clair

Busted! Hey, cut me some slack, I haven't finished my coffee yet! :D

It's possible bandwidth was a consideration...but with no DTS track and no major 'extras', I think they could have fit at least a 24/96 stereo track.

Frankly, we know nothing about how this was produced. I wouldn't make any assumptions at this point.

I'm just going to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.