Led Zeppelin First US LP - Mastered by George Piros

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Giorgio, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I would love to hear a comparison of the US Piros and the UK A5/B5 plum!

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

All the 1977 reprints mastered by George Piros are killer. I have a Piros mastered LZ II that is almost as good as the coveted Robert Ludwig cut(of which I own)in my opinion. This man took great steps to make his records sound good. I have many Atlantic group records mastered by George Piros and not a bad one in the bunch.

marcfeld69 and ODShowtime like this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Shhhhhhhh! :) Don't let that secret get out!

4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I have the exact same copy... deadwax.. pressing plant.. everything. I agree that the Piros side is better than the Mastercraft side.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Have you heard a UK Plum A5/B5 of III for comparison to the Piros III?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  6. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

My father luckily has the 1977 Piros pressing, and that LP singlehandedly is THE REASON why I started to get into vinyl in the first place. I'll never forget the first time I played Communication Breakdown on his turntable years ago and couldn't believe how AWESOME it sounded compared to how I had been used to hearing that song (the early 90's George Marino remaster and whenever it was on the radio). Plus I liked hearing the extra two seconds at the end of the fadeout as the Marino disc had it fading out too early :unhunh: George Piros definitely used a little compression when he mastered this album, which made LZI even more killer than it already is.

hi_watt likes this.
  7. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

No! But I would like to.

Neilson77 likes this.
  8. ken collier

ken collier New Member

i read most of the posts on this subject....can someone please tell me what this one would be worth if many say the holy grail is made from zep 1...i have a test pressing that was addressed to george piros...it has many songs that never even made the first album.... Log In or Sign Up to View there is a pic there of it...

9. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Link doesn't work...pic not available.

10. Kristian1980

Kristian1980 Forum Resident

I managed to stumble across a copy of this on the bay a couple of weeks ago. Haven't played it as it's at my in-law's and I'm working abroad, will pick it up in the summer. Created a discogs page for it as there wasn't one. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

11. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Are the west coast Monarch pressings really all that much superior to the east coast pressings?

12. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Found this in vg++ all around condition about 4 years ago. I think it was like $8. That was a good day.

ST-A 681461 CC 1 (number 1 inside
    a circle) check mark -EX AT/GP MR Delta 12703 PR
    ST-A 681462 CC-REPL AT/GP MR Delta 12703-x PR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. Kristian1980

Nice find, I paid way more than that! ... how does it sound?

Cardanken likes this.
  14. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

It's all that.
    For example, the organ at the beginning of Your Time Is Gonna Come sounds so quiet and clear. Amazing.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I love Monarchs, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Presswells. I think it had more to do with the source and quality of the masters more than the pressing plant. The Monarch pressing plant was pretty much a stones throw from all the Hollywood mastering houses and record companies on the West coast which may have had more of an impact especially in the 1960's and 1970's.

Kristian1980 and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I went through a pile of LZ I's awhile back and found this badboy, it's a great sounding record and IMO it's much better than my earlier RG cut:

SD 8216, PR, w/ color 1974 Atlantic promo sleeve - Rockefeller label, no Warner W
    Side 1: ST-A681461 C AT/GP PR
    Side 2: ST-A681462 C AT/GP PR

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  17. Kristian1980

Are both your copies Broadway labels? if not, which one is better?

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Funny you mentioning this! Only yesterday I was comparing Led Zeppelin 2 - a Side One RL copy to the AT/GP copy and the Side 2 AT/GP just murders the non RL Side 2 of the other.

Now if I knew a way to glue the Side 2 AT/GP to the Side 1 RL, I would have a super sounding 200g LP!

JG

Leonthepro and Sax-son like this.
  20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

They are the Rockefeller Center labels with identical matrix numbers. However, one does sound better than the other. Go figure!

Kristian1980 likes this.
  21. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Any chance of the matrices on the Piros LZ II?

22. marcfeld69

Oh boy, I thought the CC-REPL in the matrix only applied to the re-cut of 1974(?).

Cardanken likes this.
  23. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

I don't know. This one on Discogs shows 1972. Also has the 1841 Broadway labels. I forget what year 75 Rockefeller started appearing on the labels but thought for sure by 1974 it would have had them?
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. marcfeld69

Hmm. I was under the impression that you were going off the Discogs link created by Kristian 1980 in post #35, which seems almost the same (but not quite) as yours (?). Apologies if it's not the same one. I just wonder where 1972 comes from.

Putting them side-by-side:

• Label Code (Side One): (ST-A-681461-MO)
    • Label Code (Side Two): (ST-A-681462-MO)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side One [etched]): ST-A-681461CC-REPL AT/GP △18257(2) PR
    • Matrix / Runout (Side Two [etched]): ST-A681462CC-REPL AT/GP △18257-X(2) PR
    • Matrix / Runout (Side One & Two [stamped]): "MR" in a circle

• Label Code (Center Label Side-One): ST-A-681461-MO
    • Label Code (Center Label Side-Two): ST-A-681462-MO
    • Matrix / Runout (Side-One, all etched with the Monarch stamp): ST-A-681461CC - REPL - AT/GP (MR)
    • Matrix / Runout (Side-Two, all etched with the Monarch stamp): ST-A-681462CC - REPL - AT/GP (MR)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Cardanken likes this.
  25. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

Got me. It's possible mine was made during the transition to the Rockefeller labels while they still had some 1841 labels maybe?

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.