Led Zeppelin - "How the West Was Won" Vinyl Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylontubes, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anybody heard it? I went to a local record store. They didn't have a copy. It's not the best record store. So I just ordered it off Amazon. Should have my copy soon with Prime.

Just curious if anybody has heard the new mastering on vinyl.

2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Might want to put Led Zeppelin in the thread title. Movie soundtrack from the 1963 movie not only exists but has a storied history and multiple releases. Hoping no one thinks neither of these are the Olsen Twins 1994 epic:How the West Was Fun.

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

^^^^ This.

But if you like this album and always wanted it on vinyl - purchase it immediately if not sooner. It rocks.

Vinyl_Blues and ex_mixer like this.
  5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Sorry, £80 for the vinyl set is just too much. I'll stick with my old CD for now.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I've had my copy since yesterday. I love the sound. My complaint is that over 4 LPs they could have included two or three of the songs from the setlist of the two shows. Instead, you have record sides with less than 20 minutes on them.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  7. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Very pleased with the vinyl. Bass is clearer and not as pronounced and the sound of the drums are warmer.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  8. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Way too much money. $100+ for this is a ripoff. This may be the poster child for vinyl price gouging. Fair price for this would be $50.00 -$55.00.

9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

People say it sounds a bit muddier but much more crankable.

I won't be able to buy it until july after i pay off my TV.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Enjoying the blu ray now, finally, as i type.
    Great stuff and one disc, even better

11. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

The 4 LP set arrived too late Wednesday to give it proper "Loud & Proud" listening & so, it was top priority today.

As previously mentioned, John Davis who was the engineer in all the LZ remasters with Jimmy Page cut this marvelous 180g package. Supposedly pressed at Pallas (or Optimal??), a first look on all 8 sides is magnificent; each just a beauty to admire. A quick spin thru the AudioDesk, which they really didn't need & ...........

So, how's it sound -- well, take my visual notation and multiply it by a factor of 10. Super quiet, great dynamics, depth, crisp and warm and IMO probably one, if not the one of a very few LIVE albums which I'd categorize as the best I've heard. (Disclaimer -- I don't have many LIVE albums as many I have had were just blasé -- ).

The song transitions for instance on side 1A fade out and fade in so beautifully that I didn't notice any absolute silence between tracks. Just beautifully organized & mastered. Tomorrow I'll play it via the SME/VAC combo & take further enjoyment.

Even though it's been noted songs missing from the 2 shows were Tangerine, Louie Louie, Thank-You and Communications Breakdown and 2 minutes of Hello Mary Lou on WLL. I'll forgive and forget.

Honestly though, for a LIVE LP from the two shows (LA & LB Arena); extremely well done & the gatefold picture of the members on stage is very nice and first rate. Finally, even those this was LIVE tapings, there are some songs, once the crowd is absent, sound unbelievably as if from a studio. Everything is awesome. I have all the Classic 200g individual LP's of LZ and I'm impressed with this set. Glad to have it.

A little L&P proof with a smile.

[​IMG]

Best Sirs,

Bob

grx8, MK75, Cereal Killer and 6 others like this.
  12. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

I'm all for supporting vinyl, but the blu-ray is the better choice here. Even $50 seems high when you can get both a 5.1 and stereo mix all in one disc.

I'm glad that vinyl enthusiats can rejoice in this 4-lp release, but I absolutely agree that $80-$100 is a ripoff.

BDC likes this.
  13. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I won't comment on the price, but the sound quality is excellent on these LPs on most of the tracks. Great bass depth and enunciation, the vocals "pop", excellent high end extension, solid imaging for a live album, and good dynamics. And, of course, you have LZ in its prime in 1972. These LPs simply invite to be played loud and louder.

Vinyl_Blues and stax o' wax like this.
  14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

This set sounds incredible, the drums and bass is right there in front of you with fantastic dynamics. Just a great live recording without flaws. And it’s sooo cranckable!!

Vinyl_Blues and stax o' wax like this.
  15. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Finally got around to listening to this 4LP box set today.
    I'm quite happy with what I heard.
    The albums sound much better than the original CD's which I hated.
    These LP's capture the tremendous energy and excitement of these performances.
    My pressings were flawless and quiet.
    It's a joy to hear these concerts on vinyl.
    Well done Mr Page.

Cereal Killer and Nielsoe like this.
  16. Smurr05

Smurr05 Well-Known Member

Was torn between this set and complete bbc sessions. After reviews on this forum, found 1 last copy of bbc sessions vinyl at my local b & m for $99.00 with a 20% off promo and grabbed it for less than $80.00out the door! Oh my am I so pleased as this set does not disappoint one bit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.