Led Zeppelin II RL Prices Have Gotten Insane

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ellingtonic, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The challenge is finding a really clean player.
    As to being unable to differentiate the sound of various pressings, I'm 63, and have certainly lost some high frequency hearing, but that doesn't affect my ability to hear into the midrange. The various pressings are noticeably different in presentation-- it's not a "golden ears" thing- it is readily apparent by comparisons. The RL is fun; like Willie, I also enjoy the plum. I don't listen to this record that much any more- my go-to for a long time was the old MoFi which was cheap when new. Mine is still in great condition, but finding the "standard issue" pressings in such condition will take some effort.
    FWIW, several years ago there was a sealed (RL) copy being offered for $500. I did make a reasonable offer to that seller, which was rejected. I normally don't buy sealed copies of anything but I had gone through several ratty copies of this record offered as VG+ and they were all too noisy for me even with a good, deep cleaning.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

For giggles, I Googled the II UK plum....right behind Amazon was SH forum listings.
    Let us not forget the power that our comments have on E-Bay sellers/pricing. It's too late for the RL...I am getting concerned about the Piros press pricing.
    Best to make "best press" comments in the Long and winding threads? Don't think they show up in searches.
    So for Google, I'll say....
    The Zep II UK plum....SUCKS!!!!!!!

3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The culprit is right here:

[​IMG]

Slick Willie likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

How can anybody offer "a sealed RL"? I mean... you need to check the dead wax to be 100% positive, right?

Kundalini, jgrillo and Giorgio like this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

o_O

6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

7. Slick Willie

:hide:

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

9. Mugrug12

" Side one dead wax has original buyers name etched in it..."

Hmmm

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

SlickWillie raises a fair point but one which is hard to assess:

Do the comments and postings here affect the price of particular pressings/remasterings? Our Host seems to get agitated when people assess sonics on an audio system that is not resolving enough and complains that others notice. My own Julie London threads several years ago were done just for the folks here but I have noted increasing numbers of recent reissues and escalating prices of favored pressings, particularly several UKs. Is this ego massage or is there some connection? It's very hard to know where coincidence stops and causation starts. Maybe there is some other Forum that is responsible but I am only a member here.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

Just google any press and see what is on the first page.
    Now if I am wondering what to charge for a pressing I have....I might want to google. A price may not show, but the comments will.
    Still, you raise a valid point on causation.

Mr Bass likes this.
  12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Wow. The prices have gone up overall. Word has gotten out among vinyl lovers how
    great an RL sounds.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not sure it's simply vinyl lovers. Could be scene chasers, and want to be hipsters. Odd folks with more cash than brains. Some folks follow and others lead.

14. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

15. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Especially since the seller fails to mention the cover has colored-in ink with marker on both the front and back.

Fools everywhere.

16. Mugrug12

Where's the marker on the top near the title?

17. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident

Look at the listing that sold earlier today for close to $1700

18. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am waiting for someone to show up with a dozen or so in mint condition for sale that they have held for the past 40 years. Just a matter of time. :D
    A friend of mine has a couple that he has held since it was released and one of them has been played a few times. I am sure he is happy about how the prices have gone up.

The Beave likes this.
  19. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I paid $45 for my NM RL LZ II quite a few years ago and that was a big stretch for me at the time both conceptually and financially. Given what I'm seeing now I'd never be able to get into it 10 times the money. Crazy times.

20. Mugrug12

That's the one I'm looking at. Where's the ink you're describing?

21. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: . Looks like I REALLY need to think about how much I love my $45 investment ;)

DiabloG, Neonbeam and The Beave like this.
  22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I'm gonna put up a NM Piros for $200 .
    Beave

GroovyVinylDood likes this.
  23. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Piros is a lot more common so will be cheaper, and less likely to be badly mistracked. I like the Piros a lot though.

24. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

There is only ONE reason why this is happening; The fellow who came out several years back with his "hot stamper" garbage. And just like the mess surrounding "Introducing The Beatles" with people thinking their counterfeits are worth $1000, the damage is done with people now wanting the contents of Fort Knox for their wrecked copies of II.

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

And a few of those people don't even post in the SHF Classifieds!!