Led Zeppelin In Through The Outdoor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RatFarm, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

That's the truth... but I think in Zep's case it was more than that. Page's inactivity since Zep's end is not just the idea well running dry. I also consider that from 1974 to 1980 Zep delivered essentially three albums. Two of which can be considered weak efforts. There were other problems in the mix but the addiction issues turned troubles into catastrophes for the band. Mind you... ITTOD was the first Zeppelin album I heard and I loved it from end to end... even I'm Gonna Crawl! But the story of the rock era is the near universality of serious drug and alcohol abuse and the way it distorted and collapsed numerous careers... from Joe Walsh to Steve Marriott to Jimmy Page to Jimmy Hendrix to Jack Bruce... and that's just a few of the J's!

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I can't speak ill of this album; it was the first Zep I ever heard and owned.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  3. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

just put this on as my Sunday-cleaning-house album.

always liked it. i think it gets a bum rap, even if no one would (or should) ever mistake it for Physical Graffiti or IV.

in particular, i dig "Carouselambra" quite a bit. it's proggy, but it's not a prog song. it's also kind of new wavey, but it's definitely not new wave. the song is kind of a mess in a neat way, and i think it shows they were still pushing in new directions, even if some of the members weren't in a very good place.

the only track i can really do without is "Hot Dog," and that's because it should have been a Page tour de force. instead, he totally phoned it in and was seemingly content with a sloppy master take.

limoges likes this.
  4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

The new vinyl reissue sounds amazing IMO, probably the most impressive out of all the reissues sonically.

driverdrummer and violetvinyl like this.
  5. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It's an interesting album - transitional in many ways. Some songs I adore. It's clear to me from Plant's solo career that he HAD to move on, and has unerringly stuck to that to this day. Fool in the Rain would likely make my top 10 fave Zeppelin songs if I was pressed to make a list.

johnny q and Grant like this.
  6. Yeh. It was kind of obvious that LZ was already on a downhill slide. With each new album, there were fewer and fewer marketable individual songs. LZ signed it's own letter of doom with the introduction of their own record label, Swan Song. As with other artists in their genre of music, popularity was sliding and new releases were aimed at the die-hard fans. Not to say that their music was bad, but that new frontiers were not being broken into. How do you keep it fresh when most people only remember the milestone songs like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Stairway To Heaven"? Other performers continued after the loss of key members like the 'Stones. LZ created their own Swan Song.

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

In Through the Out Door is an amazing album from end to end. That is all. Thank-you.

JLGB likes this.
  8. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Geez. Well I liked it!

9. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

It sometimes seems like the "Hot Dog" slamming is endless in these parts: Page is sloppy, Plant's no Presley...etc.

The song is a fun toe-tapping homage to the early rock music that originally inspired the individual members of Zep, back in their pre-glory knicker-wearing days.

So what! if Jimmy's fretwork doesn't approach masterful precision?!!! "Hot Dog" is a rockabilly raveup, not a guitar recital at Juilliard.

It's got spirit and passion.....and, blessedly, doesn't take itself too seriously.:) For all of that, I am most grateful.

BTW, since when has virtuoso six-string technique ever been preferable to a tune possessing some humor, heart and soul?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    BDC, limoges, Use_Your_Koala and 4 others like this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Sorry. To get at what you're talking about, I think it was realized better when Plant got up with Rockpile at the Kampuchea concert and did "Little Sister." They all sound like they care.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  11. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

I love ITTOD
    It's the sound of a band changing with the times...
    NOT running out of ideas.

It did a hell of a lot of business

limoges, DiabloG and The Trinity like this.
  12. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

On reflection, I really like "Fool In The Rain", "In The Evening" , the whole LP is like a more expansive sounding, and more experimental "Presence" in a way,

The Trinity likes this.
  13. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

Does the new vinyl remaster have six different covers as well?

14. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Nope.

15. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

I have no interest in speculating on what could've/should've been, but ITTOD sounds to me like a natural bookend for a band that took a journey and matured together. Probably won't ever get it's proper due for being the excellent album it is.

16. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

I really have enjoyed the deluxe remaster & reissue of both ITTOD and Presence- two very unique albums.

17. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Presence was always one my favorite Zep album. I have to say I think the remaster of ITTOD really revealed a new album for me. While I always like a couple tunes of it, I find it way better in the new version. My only complaint is I wish Page had used the extended guitar solo version of All Of My Love on the bonus disc.

cement_head likes this.
  18. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin in the 80s... Sometimes less is more. ;)

19. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Top 3 album for me.

20. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Page's heroin album. JPJ stepped up and carried the torch on this LP. I like it.

BDC likes this.
  21. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I always considered "In Through The Outdoor" a great album. It's like their get back to roots rock & roll album.

It's interesting that this album was released in the middle disco craze and new wave was starting make it's mark.

22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I must admit, when I heard this album for the first time years ago I hated it. I decided to complete my collection so I purchased the remaster. I must admit, I am really enjoying it. It's like I'm hearing it again for the first time.

wrappedinsky, Ray29 and Sean like this.
  23. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I just don't particularly think it is a great album. Obviously they were trying something different but I just find the album is not one I play that much, which reflects how I feel about it. Interesting that some people on here rate it as one of their favourite albums which is great and proves that every album offers something to everyone on an indivudyal level. However for me when you put it up against an album like Physical Graffiti it does not even come close.

24. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

It's a strange one Knebworth. On one hand the performance was not one of their best - and why should it have been after everything that had happened and 2 years off the road. However to have been there would have been incredible and if you have yet to read the Dave Lewis book, then do. Brilliant read and so well written / researched.

Tight But Loose » LED ZEPPELIN THEN AS IT WAS – AT KNEBWORTH 1979 – REVISED EDITION – NOW AT BARGAIN PRICE OF £10 PLUS POSTAGE AND PACKING

Tree-bot likes this.
  25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Jimmy Page played less on this album. But what he did play was great to me.

BDC, eric777 and John Rhett Thomas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.