Led Zeppelin IV Japanese CD question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Hi all,

After reading a while back one of Steve's comments that the original CD releases of the Zep catalog were from the original tapes "warts and all", I've been looked through the Zep bins with more interest.

Last night I picked up CD #4 catalog 19129-2 Europe 2500 008. It's an Atlantic release that says "Printed in Japan" on the back, and the booklet says "Manufactured by JVC, Japan". There's no UPC on the back.

Does anyone know about this pressing and which master it came from?

I A/B'd it with the box set and found the sound to be nice. A little lower in volume, but smoother vocals IMO.

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

They are the original pre-remastered catalogue numbers on CD. Does it mention Barry Diament?

3. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I'm not sure which master it's from, but what you have is an original 1st pressing. That CD was either pressed in West Germany by Polygram or by JVC in Japan. Probably from around 1984...
    Does the CD still have a "smooth sided" jewelcase?

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

John,

I can't quite make out the numbers on the CD spindle, they are very light. No mention of Barry Diament anywhere, in fact no mentioning of any mastering engineer. Just a 8 page bookley with Stairway lyrics and the last page devoted to the old "This Compact Disc system offers the best possible sound......."

Vinylrec,

It seems to be the Japan JVC pressing. Unfortunately it doesn't have the original jewel case, but the disc is soooo perfect with not so much as a finger print on it.

I figured I might have a winner when I saw no UPC code, no record label code and the booklet pages slighly yellowed from age. Any other ideas on master tape source?

5. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Some were made in the USA with no UPC either, but those were after 1985. You've got a keeper!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.