Led Zeppelin: Original CDs vs Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big A2, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Just after getting an iPhone and a decent pair of in ear monitors I started to hear the tape hiss and since then I have replaced all of my Marino re-masters with Barry Diament originals. The hiss, bass and dynamics are all there and my ears are happy. The Marino remasters live on as Apple Lossless files on my hard drive for academic reasons but I only listen to the Diament files. For two to twelve dollard per title they were worth every penny. I still check the Led zeppelin Bins but only in hopes of replacing my long lost, I actually gave it away, Target copy of Houses Of The Holy.

Cheers, Michael

2. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I just priced up the 32xd/55xd set on Ebay - $1000 + shipping for all discs with Obis... Santa Baby....

3. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also ironically, I can't vote because I've only heard the remasters. But I am planning of buying Physical Graffiti soon maybe. Could someone fill me in on the whole "cough" issue? Were there some original CDs made without the cough?

4. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Mine was - but I don't have it any more.

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

A lot of original cds are missing "the cough" for reasons unknown.

Here's one thread on the topic:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=211447

Here's another more general thread that contains a lot of "cough" discussion:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=88238

My copy is a U.S. JVC pressing and it has the cough, but I don't know if that's true of all U.S. JVC pressings.

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Originals :righton:

7. Big A2

So is there any way to tell if the album has the cough at the end of that song without listening to them? Or should I just ask the seller whether it has a cough or not?

ampguy likes this.
  8. I voted for "originals" although technically speaking, it would be "case by case" (some tracks on IV, for example, I prefer in the remastered form). But the originals have a share of more than 90%, so I went with "originals".

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Most of the RMs are fine, except HOTH. The original II sounds pretty good, also.

10. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Originals. At least for the ones I've compared: II, III, IV, HotH, and Presence. PG too.

11. alex-57

alex-57 Forum Resident

Case by case

12. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

The only one I can comment on is II and thats and easy one. Barry's all the way.
    It's the only one of the originals I have that I can compare. Some day I'll grab the
    others when I can find them.

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Here are a few rules of thumb:

1) No Japan for US will have the cough
    2) All US for US with "RE-1" in the matrix have the cough
    3) The Japan 32XD only a couple of copies are rumored to have the cough - but no way of identiying them has been mentioned. My recommendation is avoid the 32XD issue as not worth the huge risk as in all likelihood 99% of them are missing the cough

So here is a case where an RE-1 is better and yet another in my experience where the plain ol' US stock disc is best or equal to it.

Rick

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Isn't it 55XD, not 32XD?

15. ricks

ricks Senior Member

yes

16. I think the remasters sound great and George Marino and Jimmy Page did a good job with the remastering. John Davis who remastered the tracks for the Mothership CD was a member on this forum a year or two ago, and said he plans to transfer all the analogue tapes of the entire Led Zeppelin catologue to 24bit/96khz in the near future. The current digital transfers that Jimmy Page made in the early 1990's (that were the source of the LZ remasters) were only 16bit/44.1 or 48khz transfers. These early 1990's transfers were also the source used for the Mothership CD... mastered in 2007. I think the Led Zeppelin catologue could be improved upon even more because of this. IMO

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I had to go with case by case because I was one of those guys that had all originals then gave them to a buddy of mine when I bought the remasters. I have been picking up the originals again but it's been slow going, I keep finding the remasters used.

Is there a reason The Song Remains The Same didn't make the list? I have both and know they are considerably different.

18. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

Really? I find the remaster of PG the 2nd worst of the bunch. 1st being HOTH.

19. Big A2

Not if they're mastered anything like Mother****. :sigh:

20. ricks

ricks Senior Member

switch the p with a t :)

21. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

The SHM's of the first four sound the best on my system.

22. Big A2

Good idea. :righton:

23. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Never been a big fan of Zeppelin recordings in any format. I'm a vinyl guy through and through, and I can barely tolerate any Zeppelin vinyl. I'll take my remastered box over any other LZ CDs I've heard, though.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Originals for me....although i did buy the remasters for II and IV to compare to the originals.

25. I happen to think the "Mothership" CD sounds very good. You can hear more detail in the recordings - more so than the 1990's remasters. I can't comment on the Barry Diament mastered versions as I've never heard them. The Mothership CD does not deserve to be called what you called it! If you don't like the sound quality of it then that's fine, but don't go and start calling albums stupid names just because you don't like the mastering.:shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.