Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's interesting that they've reverted to the "remastered by Jimmy Page" taglines in the press releases with no mention of John Davis. The same thing happened with the Marino remasters in the 90's. George Marino was mentioned on the discs in fine print but stickers on the front often said "remastered by Jimmy Page." A thankless job, that of the mastering engineer! :)

Plan9, mrdiscman, snkcube and 3 others like this.
  3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Do we have any information on the mastering credits?

dead of night likes this.
  4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm sitting on the fence with these upcoming remasters

"remastered by Jimmy Page" ... no offense, but I think the work should be done by an expert engineer instead.
    The 1994 remasteres were him and George Marino, and all we know how they sounded. Thin, digital, cold, bright, shrill, with no analogue feel whatsoever, no bass except Zep I & II, etc

99% of "remastered by the artist" releases aren't good :shake:

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'll keep the Barry Diament CDs

Dynamic Ranger, Zep Fan and mdm08033 like this.
  5. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I hope they offer the downloads separately. I don't want to have to buy the entire deluxe box.

6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

And also, do we have any information about the mastering style, the philosophy behind the choices? For example, no processing, from the original analog tapes, no EQ boost, made to sound as closely as possible to the original vinyl, are there any comments like these?

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

duneman likes this.
  8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I doubt Page remastered these alone.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

John Davis remastered these. He told me so in a PM here last year but since they hadn't been announced I didn't want to mention it publicly. I believe he also tweeted the info last year too.

snkcube, Vinyl_Blues, dee and 2 others like this.
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Not familiar with his name, can you site some examples of his recent work.

11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

See the thread on the Led Zeppelin MFiT releases. They're from the same mastering sessions.

dead of night likes this.
  12. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Mothership and Celebration Day, but of course those are not the best reference. More relevant are the MFiT Led Zeppelin remasters release on Dec. 18, 2012. Most of us here think they sound good.

13. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Agreed! I did put myself on the pre-order list for all 3 Super Deluxe Sets but if they happen to put the Hi-Res files on HDTracks I will be quickly cancelling my pre-orders.

cricchio likes this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

All three pre-ordered from Amazon.ca at $116 each.

Ben Adams likes this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My guess is that they will put the high-res files on HDTracks - but not until sometime after the super deluxe editions have started shipping.

For now, they have to keep the high-res exclusive to the super deluxe editions, so folks like JCRW don't cancel their super deluxe edition pre-orders.

But after a while, they will have to offer the high-res files separately, or else they will lose thousands of sales: If they were to keep the high-res files exclusive to the super deluxe editions, then lots of folks would refuse to pay the huge price premium, and the high-res files would quickly become among the most pirated, torrented files on the internet, costing the band thousands of sales they could get if they put them up on HDTracks.

So I think it's a timing game.

16. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I just pre-ordered the 2-CD deluxe version of all three CD's.

It's confusing to me what format the CD will be in. If the download is HD, why aren't the CD's at least in HDCD audio or SACD for that matter? Are the CD's merely Redbook?

Zafu

17. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

I don't think that's been made clear yet. And we may not know until the discs are actually in hand. But it's only the first day this info has been public, so perhaps more info will be forthcoming over the next few weeks and months before release.

18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

The CDs are redbook - normal CDs. No high-res digital disc ever is referred to as a CD in any marketing or sales info. The only partial exception is HDCD, which is basically dead. Also, no way you're ever going to see a 2-disc, new-release reissue set like these offered for $21 or less if the discs are SACDs or Blu-Ray Audio discs.

The market for high-res, physical, audio-only media is quite small. There may yet be Blu-Ray Audio (or, less likely, SACD) versions of these reissues, but if so, they will come later and be offered as niche products, not as part of the main product-option grid marketed by the band and its label.

Zep Fan likes this.
  19. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Same here, that is what I will be looking for!

20. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

I'm in for all three deluxe sets

FLF likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Went ahead and bought the Mastered For Itunes Zeppelin Studio Albums to tide me over. I actually like the sound on my iPod so far. Also got the Black Sabbath Mastered For Itunes and feel the same way.

Clanceman and coffeetime like this.
  22. Look for hi-rez downloads come LZ's 50th anniversary - it's not long off...

23. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

So as it stands and if you order from Bull Moose, the super deluxe sets are whopping $51/£31 cheaper in the US than from Amazon UK.

I have pre-ordered all three from Amazon UK so I hope that the price goes in the right direction before release day!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Mastered by Jimmy Page himself = crappy sound. No thanks, I pass!

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  25. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If past experience is any guide, the Amazon prices will fall as the weeks go by.

Whether they fall to Bull Moose's level is another question. And then there's the issue of Bull Moose being an independent retailer, which is always better to support than Amazon IMHO.

But on the other hand, one also wonders if Bull Moose will have enough stock on hand on the release day to fulfill all pre-orders, whereas with Amazon that's not a concern.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.