Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Rubbish

2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

yeah, that long version of "All My Love" is beautiful... how disappointing it didn't make the grade for these releases. At least it's out there unofficially.

fpas and reb like this.
  3. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Thats My favourite versión Also. Was really looking forward to it.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'd like to have him "being HEARD to play live" if you catch my drift!

pablorkcz likes this.
  5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

There are 2 other unique Led Zeppelin studio recordings which have been released previously but are excluded from the remasters ("The Girl I Love" and "Something Else"). Obviously Jimmy excluded them because they are readily available on BBC Sessions, but I think it's odd that he would exclude them while including "Traveling Riverside Blues".

(I suppose you could also count "L.A. Drone", which is technically a studio recording...)

JasonA likes this.
  6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Page said Plant contributed tracks.
    It is out there in good quality but it's very odd if he went with a lesser version. Of course Jimmy has been making odd decisions ever since the 2007 TSRTS remix edit-hatchet job.

Tree-bot, tmtomh and superstar19 like this.
  7. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

http://radio.com/2015/07/28/jimmy-page-led-zeppelin-future/

How involved were Robert Plant and John Paul Jones in the reissue process, did you send them tapes?

I’ll tell you how it worked. I knew there were some key pieces [that I wanted to include], but this was going to be such a complete picture [of the band]. The whole depth and length of the project became quite clear, but I couldn’t invest hundreds of hours of listening to tapes without the help of the others.
    What I did was, I played them the companion disc for Led Zeppelin III separately: Robert first. And then the companion disc for Presence. I outlined what the project was going to be. Robert thought it was great. Then I played it for John Paul Jones, and same deal. Robert sent a few tapes that he had, he had a couple of those things were of use.

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

With All My Love, I just read on another forum that the good bootleg version of that track, with the extended ending, is claimed (by a bootlegger I think) to be sourced from a circa 1990 mixdown of the original multitracks. I have no idea if that's true, and if it is true I have no idea why Page (or whomever) would've made such a mix. But if it is true, it would explain why it's not on the ITTOD companion disc, as it wouldn't actually date from those sessions and Page has been adamant that all the companion material come from the sessions done for the main album (which is also why, for example, If It Keeps on Raining/Levee showed up on Coda rather than on Zep IV, since it was recorded before the Zep IV sessions rather than during).

snkcube likes this.
  9. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

I will be getting these piecemeal over the next few weeks. Hope to pick up Presence tomorrow. REALLY looking forward to it!

johnsiddique and tmtomh like this.
  10. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Tmtomh, if JP ever needs a publicist he should definitely call you. :laugh:

That's a fine rationalization but it doesn't hold weight with me. He should just give us the more compelling track. Instead we got essentially a mono mix of AML.

Even if that's the reason, you think he could have put that track or the other orphan tracks on the Coda bonus discs? There are 95 blank minutes on those 2 cds.

Also, the alt mixes of Fool in the Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl are pretty much mono as well to my ears. I think they sound ok when turned up.

JasonA and tmtomh like this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

:D

Make no mistake - I am disappointed in the ITTOD companion disc - and if it had come out only with Presence as some speculated (with Coda saved for the autumn), I'd be much more disappointed. And I do wish he just went ahead and put the more compelling version of All My Love on ITTOD and if necessary just listed the recording date in the notes and either omitted or fudged the mixing date. But I guess he just didn't want to do that. (And as for putting it on Coda, if the track was mixed anytime after 1982, then he would be no more willing to put it there than on ITTOD.)

So I'm not trying to soft-pedal the ITTOD companion disc - after all, I did rate it dead last when I ranked them all, earlier in the thread. As for FITR and IGC, I still don't like the companion mixes, no matter how loud I turn them up - too muffled for my taste.

12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Maybe the remixed track will be on "Led Zeppelin - the remixed catalogue". Actually, come to think of it, I would buy a set like that.

fpas, Matthew Tate and tmtomh like this.
  13. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Just got home to find that the last batch had arrived a day early!!!
    Blown away by one track from the Presence companion disc... RIBS & ALL wow... was thar JOnesy channeling Tod Rundgreen or what!
    and after 40 yeats waiting... St Tristan's Sword had me doing some serious boogie moves in the living room
    Did I say that I feel like a little kid on xmas morning!

FLF and tmtomh like this.
  14. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

After a few listens of 10 Ribs & All, I'm definitely hearing shades of the Abbey Road medley (You Never Give Me Your Money, She Came In..., Carry That Weight) in the second half of the song. :agree:

Ryan Bedlack likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I think it has to do with it's inclusion on the box set, to have it's rarities in one place. Then again, did the mix of Moby Dick and Bonzo's Montreux make the bonus disc of Coda? Going by my logic it should.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

tmtomh likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Lucky!

I'm hoping to get three more lithos for my wall and complete the set.

18. liboriofriki

To make things even more awesome.... On the Osaka show from September 29, 1971, we can hear that "Dazed and Confused" featured riffing from the previously unreleased instrumental "St Tristan's Sword". (before the transition into the "Pennies from Heaven" segment. This starts around 21-22 minutes into the song, depending on the version that you're listening to)

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yeah, I just read that over at another forum and checked it out myself - and it's there! Amazing.

Now some bootleg label will release a "super special edition" of the Osaka show "now featuring Dazed & Confused with St. Tristan's Sword!" :rolleyes: :D

20. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I cant believe how AWFUL the coal in Royal Orleans is. It totally ruins it. I doubt I can ever listen to it again....seriously, he shoulda padded this release with a few tracks from LA 1977 and taken that one off, because besides the awful vocal the instrumentation sounds exactly the same. AWFUL!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    ZEP77 likes this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Forgot to respond to this. I agree each Coda companion disc could've accommodated another song. But about 80 of those 95 blank minutes are because each CD is supposed to mirror the content of each LP on the vinyl version (but you knew that already :)).

So to me the more relevant alternative would've been to put all the Coda companion material on a single CD, like they did with Zep I with the single companion CD but two companion LPs. And in that vein I would agree that the decision to make Coda a 3 CD set instead of 2 CD was probably as much for marketing reasons as anything: since Coda is a weak album and also the final release, they wanted to go out with a bang, and 3 CDs sounds like more than 2 - and it's a heck of a lot easier for marketing to just be able to say 3 discs instead of 3 LPs or 2 CDs.

But that doesn't bother me, because even with profit margins the extra CD added just $1 or $2 to the deluxe CD retail price, and probably $10 to the Super Deluxe price (and of course it added zero to the LP-only version price).

At any rate, the Coda companion material is an embarrassment of riches if you ask me. Yes I would've loved to have seen some version of "Swan Song" added, or maybe "Lost in Space" if it even exists. And if I really want to get picky, I would've chosen the other of the two known Bombay versions of "Friends" because I slightly prefer Plant's vocal on the other one (even though the instrumentation and the overall performance is a bit more polished and cohesive on the one Page chose - so objectively he probably chose the right one).

But I can't see how any reasonable fan can register anything more than a minor quibble with this Coda release. It kicks butt and provides what so many folks have said they've been wanting from the companion material.

Fred1970, Clanceman and liboriofriki like this.
  22. liboriofriki

lol... I can see you've had some experience dealing with those types...lol

tmtomh likes this.
  23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I have all the deluxe versions as of today. Haven't taken the plastic off of any. But Sunday I'm playing them all in order, all 19 discs. I should probably get up early :winkgrin:

Clanceman, snkcube, bluesbro and 5 others like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

:righton:

25. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

But the companion version of Levee released on IV was recorded during the sessions for IV?

And all the companion tracks on PG weren't recorded during sessions for other albums? If your theory is true then why is the Wanton Song on Coda for instance.

Also, my biggest disappointment with this campaign is that we don't get any alternate version on Ten Years Gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.