Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

I got mine 2 days ago :nauga:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I concur, I'm going to wait for reviews regarding the vinyl then decide if I'll pick one up late in the year. That and Get Behind Me Satan will probably be my final two vinyl for 2015.

3. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Anyone check to see if the inner sleeve on ITTOD goes multicolor if you wet it? The album comes in the replica brown bag with the A cover.

Coricama likes this.
  4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

It doesn't.........

5. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

That settles it. I'm doing Summer hours today.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Ok. So can we put together a definitive selection of the best tracks on the ten companion discs? Maybe a double album? :)

Suggestions?

7. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I'm hitting the beach with these suckers.

scottp likes this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

So my presence and ITTOD are due to come today however might not see coda until end of August beginning of sept via Amazon. These are the deluxe vinyl editions. Anyone else hear of shortages or problems with the deluxe coda Lp's?

9. Sathington Willoughby

Sathington Willoughby Well-Known Member

10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to picking up the final three reissues. I think one of the first things that I'm going to do is make a playlist to redistribute all the Coda material back to their respective albums and make the companion discs that should have been.

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I was going to pick up the 3 today but ended up buying ELP's Deluxe version of Trilogy and that Captain Speaking Hawkwind box set instead. Now how naughty is Rough Trade Records in London - they had the albums on the shelf a day or so before the official release date. Fopp and HMV didn't - they were good boys. :p

I'll buy the Hi-Res versions from HDtracks anyway.

12. Sathington Willoughby

Here's mine. Not sure about the running times, might have to split it up, who knows. :shrug::p In mostly chronological order, except Moby Dick, I thought it would seem out of place near the beginning, so I tried to put it more towards the end, like they did at live shows.

1. "Whole Lotta Love" (Rough Mix with Vocal)
    2. "La La" (Intro/Outro Rough Mix)
    3. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Rough Mix of First Recording)
    4. "That's the Way" (Rough Mix with Dulcimer & Backwards Echo)
    5. "Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind" (Rough Mix)
    6. "Stairway to Heaven" (Sunset Sound Mix)
    7. "The Song Remains the Same" (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)
    8. "Everybody Makes It Through" ("In the Light") (Early Version/In Transit)
    9. "10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)" (Reference Mix)
    10. "Moby Dick" Live – Olympia, Paris, 10 October 1969
    11. "In the Evening" (Rough Mix)
    12. "If It Keeps On Raining" ("When the Levee Breaks") (Rough Mix)
    13. "Friends" (Bombay Orchestra)
    14. "St. Tristan's Sword" (Rough Mix)

Jennings Farm Blues would probably be on there too, had I not already heard it a million times. :)

JeffMo, Jonboy and JasonA like this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I picked up all 3 of the final releases today-the extended CD versions.......the kids have kicked me out my out my listening room to watch The Regular Show before I got to Coda but here's my opinion on Presence and ITTOD in terms of pure stereo replay.

Yup the series for me concludes in sonic benefits as has been delivered throughout the series. Yet again I've heard the best CD versions of Zep's albums.

Presence delivers a bolder impression-drums are clearer, bass much more pronounced overall and it strikes me listening again to this that there are a lot more percussive tricks in Bonham's delivery than I've noticed previously. Vocals particularly on Royal Orleans are clearer. Despite listening to this record for decades I don't think it ever really registered with me on a lot of levels. Probably more than any other studio Zep album it seems a stranger and the tracks probably the most acclaimed Achilles and Nobody I find a struggle to get through. That metallic sound, the riffs more than any Zep album it lacks the light and shade that really made their albums events. Only Tea For One now is an enjoyable listen, the riff based tracks always merged into each other. It sounds better but to me maybe now more than ever it sounds like a series of tracks looking for other different sounding Zep tracks to make a great album.

Out Door is of course the exact opposite of Presence, a real hotch potch of different sounding songs. I have a lot of affection for it as it was the only Zep album that I heard on release-I don't really consider Coda any more than an appendage. The sound is simply bigger on this version, a really large soundstage is presented and clear and detailed. It sounds like an album recorded in another era....and this version has clarity and detail in abundance. I don't see the point of a big debate of how it's aged but it does maybe more than ever sound like a disjointed listen and really probably depends heavily in what context you heard it originally.

Coda I've still to hear, along with the bonus tracks but again I'm looking at a handful of these as really interesting I'm in the camp that the companion material over the series has presented a lot of material that doesn't really demand extended listening. A lot of the alternative versions frankly bring nothing to the table.

Still to go back having purchased a few Diaments along the way as this series started debate on here I do consider these new ones as the best CD's available-Page/Davis have retained the original essence of the recordings-they don't sound different but there's just more, more resolution, detail, clarity and maybe when you are talking about a series of albums that would be many listener's greatest back catalogue in rock terms then maybe that context means that your expectations on improvements simply cannot be met. They are better but maybe not in a way that is really going to knock you out but hey they did that first time around.

sassi, duneman, Clanceman and 8 others like this.
  14. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Thanks SW - sweet selection! :)

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  15. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

Pod Pod.....wow, that's the best one yet IMO. Very cool.

tmtomh and Sathington Willoughby like this.
  16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Holy crap they finally included Hey Hey, What Can I Do in the NA version of Coda. Might have to get this one.

17. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

That's what I'm thinking :righton:

18. Sathington Willoughby

No prob, glad you like! I made sure to have at least one track from each companion. Just created the playlist on iTunes, 85 minutes, so yea you'd have to do two discs. :righton:

Jonboy likes this.
  19. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

A beautiful song. I wonder if JPJ considered it for ITtOD?

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Working in the home office today, shuffling through an iTunes playlist (mix of originals and companion disc songs), waiting for the lunch hour when I can snag the last three DEs!

I sort of like new release Friday!

tmtomh likes this.
  21. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing! It's a shame they didn't finish it.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

I guess Robert could've recorded a new vocal for '10 Ribs' in 1982 to include on Coda...similar to what they did for 'Walter's Walk'. Oh well...

23. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Can anyone verify that the "fade out" is on the hi-res files, as well?

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just picked up Presence and Coda, can't wait to tear into these tonight. Will post my thoughts later. Happy listening everybody.

25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

St. Tristan's Sword sounds like a precursor to Over The Hills And Far Away

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.