Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014+ to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt 8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

On Coda...

Travelling Riverside Blues (BBC Season)

Should that be "BBC Session" or does Season mean something? Same Typo if it is one is on HDTracks and Pono, it is "Session" on Amazon MP3.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I was just about to post that, as I was also impressed with the vinyl version of that. Great packaging and the resealable outer sleeve is a very nice touch. The paper bag looks great, as does the CD version that also comes with the bag slip cover. Really great looking sets.

Dino likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Still bummed/shocked that Swan Song isn't on here.

bluesbro, RK2249 and tmtomh like this.
  4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

In the year 2035.......

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So far so good! ITTOD has had almost no pops, it's reminding me of how flawless I-III were when they came out.

Fingers crossed!

bigal00769, tmtomh and johnny q like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I wasn't begrudging you or the other guys - hey, it's the lazy days of summer right?

I ran out over my lunch hour and picked up the 3 DEs (but no lithos at Newbury Comics this time - bummer!). I won't have a chance to spin these until the weekend, due to the fires I need to deal with Johnny!

7. Raf

Raf Senior Member

It's "Session" on iTunes too.

8. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I've just listened to this for the first time and compared it to the original studio version.

To go to the start I noticed when listening to the original Achilles that whatever JPJ is playing as a bass line hits some what I would call "sub bombs" that's when his notes hit a real low my speakers give a real kick out but what isn't clear is the actual whole bass run sounds like-I'd need to do headphones to hear it all.
    The alt version is very probably the best alt version I've heard in this series-it isn't perfect in that I agree the outro sounds flubbed and arguably Plant's vocals aren't as strong. However it sounds more live and as a result sounds less sterile/processed than the original-Bonham's drums have more kick and you can actually hear more of what JPJ's is playing on bass-to some extent it may not actually be bassier or has more low end but actually just better separated-again it's not perfect but you can hear more of JPJ's playing-I think it's fair to say on the original the bass detail gets absorbed into the mix more albeit it's not completely without bass. There's more energy on the alternative mix.

I hope this helps I think it's fair to say Presence is quite a treble biased album.

That alternative version of Achilles probably is as I say the best alternative version of a Zep song I've heard but I would need to say that Presence is a less perfect series of recordings that a lot of the earlier albums-even the rawer takes contained an atmosphere-it gives us a glimpse of a more organic record I'll be interested to hear the rest.

ledsox likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I knew you were only joking and not begrudging anyone. I was just trying to make you feel better by articulating my misfortune! Not only am I not leaving early today to enjoy my Super Deluxe boxes, I am probably working late!:) "A working class hero is something to be";)

10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

More nit picking on the tagging.

What does "Sugar Mama (Mix)" mean. Did they leave off what kind of mix it is? Is there another version that isn't a mix?

11. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Looking for cheapest prices on the Deluxe CDs....was going to go with B&N but they saw fit to jack up the prices on release day. Bye-bye B&N. :wave:

12. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Who the BLOODY HELL is singing on the reference mix on Royal Orleans?

13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No download cards. None of the vinyl versions have had download cards, unlike the Rush reissues.

If you order from Amazon, you'll get free "Autorip" downloads of the remasters ... very good high bitrate VBR redbook files.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Ok, one down. My ITTOD was perfect and is in fact the best I've ever heard this album on vinyl. It's absolutely massive.

Next, Presence ... but first I gotta get some lunch.

15. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Hot dogs? :tiphat:

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

.................................[​IMG]

17. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

BCS, thanks for that analysis of Achilles. I am hearing what you are hearing.
    I was as happy as I have been in listening to any of these remasters and mixes yesterday when I heard the articulate low end on that track The JPJ chug is heard in full force on that mix. It also seemed like the lead guitar solo popped out a bit more and I liked that since it's a Page highlight to me.
    I agree the proper album has always been a bit of a treblefest mixwise.

I think I will need to edit in a fix on the he ending and the track should be a real keeper for me.

18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I guess it's Bonzo, who's name is first in the credits of this song.....

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  19. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

It's a new Jimmy Page vocal overdub. He didn't like all the criticism on all the very minor mix variants so he thought...
    "I"LL SHOW THEM" ;)

20. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I really like the expanded "Coda", always liked that collection more than those final two albums. The only criticism is the length of both companion discs. Together they have a running time of 63 minutes, that would have easily fitted on one CD.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was wondering what others were doing with the "hype stickers". I stuck mine on the litho page of the liner notes!

22. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Near the end of Royal Orleans, it sounds a tiny bit like it's Plant doing a comedy voice ... anyone have a definitive answer? If it is indeed Bonzo, that would be hilarious! Love it, either way. Can't say these guys didn't have a sense of humour.

23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I agree with @BSC about Achilles overall. I would say the bass on the companion version is a bit fuller and rounder, and therefore arguably has a bit more impact than the main album version. However, the difference is not major, and the main album version still has plenty of bass impact - but it's a tighter, more "astringent" sound, consistent with the overall polishing that happened with the mastering of the original album.

Also, not to be a hater but just for purposes of comparison, IMHO this is one of the albums where the new remaster just blows the Diament CD out of the water. The Diament is lifeless and dull by comparison. I can't speak for the new vinyl in particular, but IMHO it's no-brainer to get this new Presence, at least in CD/digital format. (Ditto for In Through the Out Door BTW - also massively improved sonics.)

24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The guys who were already fans when these albums were originally released.

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Probably walmart.....14.88 for double sets. Not sure about the price for Coda....maybe 19.99?

JimC and BuckNaked like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.