Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So be it! I guess i'm not too keen on southern culture. Still. most people I know think of that "other" thing when they hear the phrase. Your explanation just totally ruined my rock 'n roll image of the song. I still say it's a double entendre. That's what most blues songs were about.

aoxomoxoa and Mij Retrac like this.
  2. Not even an ETA on my B&N order now. Anyone else?

3. Grant

When I grew up, my parents mom liked and listened to all of the stuff I listened to, and vice-versa. But in no way could I listen to some stuff with her around. If "Whole Lotta Love" came on the radio, either some of it was edited out, or she really didn't pay too much attention to the lyrics. I know it got played on the radio on the big living room stereo.

4. Grant

Maybe you are just assuming he means listening to them flat.

5. I still don't understand if that's the point. First of all, I doubt the mastered versions are on tape. It's all done on hard drives now, but I get what you mean. The mastered copy is the finished job. If you're listening to the 24/96 versions (like I am), you're listening to the mastered copy, surly? Why would he hear an improvement over the rest of us if he's talking about the mastered copies?

6. Yes, I am, either the original tapes or the 24/192 flat copies of them.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I agree with Darryl Sterdan (who is a good reviewer). These new CD's sound awful.....if the original LP's are any yardstick. Maybe the vinyl issues will be better but I ain't holding my breath.

8. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Mine (Deluxe I, II, III) was shipped on 5/31 and attempted delivery today via USPS with signature. My son will be home tomorrow to sign for it, so I should have mine tomorrow night.

9. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

What do you think they transferred to 24/192 digital? The two track master TAPE. Talk to anyone who as ever heard a two track master and they will tell you that is the best the music will ever sound.

10. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

What does this mean???? One never knows where reviewers' allegiances lie.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This is not true. There are many who would say many, if not most, flat stereo masters need mastering to make the music sound the best it will ever sound.

melkor_morgoth and Grant like this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I always took Back Door Man to be a double-entendre. "The men don't know, but the little girls understand." meaning 1: the men don't know that the singer is messin' 'round with their wives. Meaning 2: hmmm, I don't know how to say this politely. Ummm, the men don't have the same, er, experiences, as the girls do in the situation. Other lines in the song seem to refer to oral acts, and possibly some homosexual references. YMMV.

My three deluxe editions arrived today. Can you get a tracking number?

13. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

ETA? I received item delayed e-mails from B&N for all three of my vinyl deluxe edition albums this morning...

14. Mij Retrac

Mine arrived at my post office this morning. I should get them tomorrow.

15. Mij Retrac

I'm not talking about flat stereo masters. I'm talking about listening to the tape with the changes in place.

16. I assumed yes. They said the 24/192 flat transfers were from the original analogue master tapes, surly that is the 2-track mix master? If what you're saying is true about 2-track master tapes sounding better than anything else (and it well maybe) then why is mastering always applied? I have heard of cases where the original 2-track master tapes actually doesn't sound that brilliant and can be improved greatly by mastering. Of course, it would depend on how good or bad the 2-track mix master sounded.

I imagine it changes depending on the original mix, the quality of the tape used, the IPS speed and the equipment it was originally recorded and/or mixed on.

17. Interesting; I had a ship date of 6/3 then I received 3 emails this morning saying they were delayed.

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:righton:

Do you remember mama, when I knocked upon your door?
    I said you had the nerve to tell me you didn't want me no more, yeah
    I open my front door, hear my back door slam,
    You know, I must have one of them new fangled, new fangled back door man.

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Really you think they sound awful??

I respect your opinion because all in all it is what matters most - but I am just wondering what people want out of these versions then? I am so happy with these CD's - balance, clarity, dynamics, etc. are all top notch. I can see maybe preferring the original vinyl or even the Diament CD's but preferring those is a lot different than calling the new editions "awful" which IMO is doing these well done CD's a disservice

melkor_morgoth, Grant and wgriel like this.
  20. Mij Retrac

yes it does but the qualities of the information on that tape are very hard to duplicate (soundstage depth, accuracy of sound etc)

21. rburly

It probably depends on when you ordered them, or the order they were received at B&N.

22. rburly

What about "The Lemon Song"? :eek: :winkgrin:

23. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I've listened to half of I and half of II (24/96 version). The verdict: They sound very natural, laid back, but very accurate - fantastic sounding. The parts that are harsh (like the high hat smashing in Babe I'm Gonna Leave You) and occasionally Plant's voice sound what I would consider accurately harsh. Like the Beatles remaster I find the bass to be the biggest improvement - I can really hear what JPJ is up to. The overdriven nature of II is less annoying to me than with other versions I've heard, or maybe it's just a statement of how much clearer everything is. It has the sound of a very carefully done transfer and mastering; no gimmicks here. And it's NOT loud.

melkor_morgoth, Grant and Sandinista like this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

When I worked in Safeway, we had a Backdoor man, he was the person who accepted and checked deliveries. I was the backdoor man myself for awhile.

25. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

FWIW, if you're just interested in hearing what these bonus tracks are like, remember that they're all on Spotify! SQ is surprisingly excellent, as well.

coffeetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.