Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I've got multiple copies of HotH do i really need another one?
    Probably

Say and Clanceman like this.
  2. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

check acoustic sounds i got a email from them with the announcement

Giorgio likes this.
  3. oates

oates Forum Resident

The pattern emerging is not an encouraging one - alternate mixes are neither outtakes or rarities. Any album that has extant multitracks could be remixed with an instrument missing, or the panning altered, or something slightly louder. That the early and alternate mixes were done during the album's original production doesn't make them any more interesting. Fact is they were rejected as inferior then and remain so today.

4. So, outtakes/alternate performances would also be considered inferior because they didn't make it to an original album excluding the stockpile that went to PG and Coda. We know there is not much left in the 'vaults'. If they saved 'Ozone Baby' for today's releases, some would complain about how inferior it is.

5. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Where is a good place to pre order? I'm sure it's been mentioned, but if you could save me some time reading these epic threads, that would be good. I am in Australia and happy to buy from the USA.

6. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

Also, I just got I II and III super deluxe box sets for my birthday, and I think they are good value. I love books, and they are really nice. I have a thing for quality books.

I think value is a bit of an age thing. I am in my 40s and I remember buying albums for 18 bucks in the 80s when a packet of cigarettes was a dollar or so.. ( Australian price reference) so in real terms prices have come down.

Just my opinion.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm in for the two-CD sets.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Me too.

9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I wish they would just do a release on the companion lp's. I bought II and III and my Classic LP's cream them, but I enjoy the companion lp's.

10. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Both Deluxe Vinyl Boxsets pre-ordered by Amazon.it.
    Price: 23,97 euro each...and for me sounds good!

Issue date: October, 27.

As for I, II and III, my only interest is the bonus material from companion discs.
    I agree that reading the headlines, seems to be not very exciting this ride ... but first of all the songs must be heard and then, as a lover of this Band, these official collections of their songs, even if they are only little different from the outputs of their time, worth the price. Always. IMO.

I can't wait...

11. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

most of the bonus tracks have held little interest for me. but i keep returning again and again to the "thank you" backing track.

12. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

not a big enough fan of I and II
    bought 2cds 2 lps
    III bought the super deluxe
    have Houses on Classic
    but III IV HotH and PG sure will look good on the shelf Super Deluxe
    that's all I need unless there is some really neat stuff attached to Presence

yeah those bonus tracks, ho hum

Love to hear Johnny and the Pirates 75 tour rehersals as they rip through old classic 50s R&R

Bullmoose $102 free shipping
    just placed the next order
    my III was impeccably packed from them!

Sound was better than my mid 70s US releases
    and I just saw a first edition IV UK Plum go for $300 on ebay from a great lp dealer I buy from in the UK

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  13. I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but here's an extract from the BBC World Service mainly focusing on Stairway To Heaven and the upcoming previously unreleased Los Angeles Sunset Sound Studio mix of the track. The guy interviewed who I think is a rock music journalist who I've seen interviewed on TV before (as I recognise his voice) mentions adding bells and whistles in the studio 40 years later to the track. I was under the impression that the remastered bonus tracks on all the companions discs in this reissue program contain no new overdubs. Am I wrong?

https://soundcloud.com/bbc-world-se...-fix-what-aint-broke?ocid=socialflow_facebook

14. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I'll be at my local Bullmoose store in Bangor, ME on release day to pick these up.
    For the first 3 reissues Bullmoose was including LZ lithographs with deluxe CD purchase.
    I hope the promos continue! Neat.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Did BM send online customers the lithographs?

16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

... to you.

Personally I think there is far greater value in a contemporary mix (especially one that might incorporate elements that were subsequently wiped from the multi-tracks) than a 2014 mix whipped up especially for the new release. It's interesting to hear, for instance, the original intention for "Immigrant Song", with Plant vocalizing in the latter portion of the song.

Giorgio, Smartin62 and Say like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

I like that little bit of vocals at the end of the bonus Immigrant Song. After hearing the spooky vocals at the end of Immigrant Song a few times, I can't help now but think of the end of Paint It Black when I hear them. Perhaps an appropriate relation for me to have that I hear.

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

No

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I wound up getting all 3 Super Deluxe versions thanks to Bull Moose's blowout sale on these, but will probably just get the single vinyl versions next time. I prefer the sound of the vinyl over the CD's. I also can't see playing the companion discs more than a few times. The books are nice, but again, it's probably a 2-3 time look on these. My library also has the 2 CD versions, so I can give the companion discs a listen.

OTOH, if Bull Moose has another blowout sale, I'll probably have the willpower of a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert. :laugh:

audiotom likes this.
  20. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

They sound ear-bleedingly bright and compressed and brickwalled all to hell. What were they thinking.

There, that's out of the way.

I know the high rez versions sound no better than the mp3s, but that is what I am really looking forward to. The previous hi-rez versions sounded fantastic to me.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

As I noted above, what the first batch of deluxe reissues showed to me was that they made the right choices with the final mixes that made the official albums. I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys the historical/work-in-progress aspect of the rough mixes on the "companion audio discs," but they're not something I personally want to hear more than once. They got it right on the official albums.

I wish there was a magic unreleased song in the vaults as good as "Stairway to Heaven," but the sad fact is that "La La" is probably the best unheard track they were able to dig up.

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I totally disagree, alternate mixes are not "rejected" - rather they are a snapshot into the work in progress. They are not supposed to be replacement versions of songs but rather versions that add to the historical anecdotes these albums have to tell by lifting the veil on how the musicians and everyone viewed the recordings as they worked on them. These are "companion" disks, not "replacements to the original album" disks and I feel that your narrative of these versions being rejected in my opinion is a skewed view of the intention of these song versions to begin with.

Take the alternate mix of "That's The Way" as an example - the mix is an interesting snapshot of how they got from point A to point B - from the recording of the song to the album version as we know it. First off we get to hear the song before it was sonically slowed down and decreased in pitch about a half step, totally changing the dynamics of the song, as well as additional instrumental parts. So you may not find them interesting, which I respect your opinion on. However they are not rejected versions by nature. And the fact that they were snapshots of a moment of time as opposed to a 2014 mix composite DOES make a big difference in that regard as to the historical significance stated above.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The older I get, the less interested I am in "lifting the veil" or seeing behind the curtain to see how the magic was made. I just want to hear the final product, preferably on the original LP. That's what the artist worked to create and present to the public. Life is too short, and my record collection is too big, to spend my time listening to Alternate Submix B of Track 3 without Piano. If you're gonna release one of these Super Deluxe editions, however, you have to put something on the bonus CD, and unfortunately there's nothing to put on the Zeppelin bonus CDs except for these rough mixes. Well, actually there is something out there besides the rough mixes, but apparently Page refuses to consider releasing live shows that weren't multi-tracked, and that he can't tweak and micro-edit to death. If you get a kick out of the rough mixes, more power to you. The alternate take of "That's The Way" that you mention is actually the one bonus track released so far that I can see returning to more than once; hopefully there are some more alternate takes that interesting on the next batch of reissues.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    ledsox and Mazzy like this.
  24. I'm leaning more your way

25. Say

Say Forum Resident

The companion songs of That's The Way, Since I've Been Loving You and Friends are tops. Listening to those more so than the final versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.