Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

Unfortunately I don't know. Would be nice, but probably "in store only".

2. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Deluxe LP's for me.
    I have the Deluxe of the debut on the way and regular for II and III plus the companion audio LP's from the super deluxe that I bought from a poster here. May just get deluxe for all to keep the set uniform.

3. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Pretty sure it was in-store only. I ordered all 3 SDs from them and didn't receive any of the lithos. What I really would have wanted was the III turntable mat. That looked super cool.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to Physical Graffiti. I won't mind listening to early mixes and basic backing tracks on that one.

But I think Page needs to start thinking about 5.1 mixes. If they have no real out takes then that is what I east next. Steven Wilson are you available?

love4another, rd1 and GabeL like this.
  5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

The lithograph thing was definitely in-store only. I ordered the first three from Bull Moose online, and only got the CDs.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thanks for the answers to the lithographs. I resorted to buying all three of the litho's from ebay sellers. But decided to ask here after reading that BM was including them with purchases. However, its evidently for in-store customers only. Which leads me to considering buying the next releases from one local store here that I think would likely have the same offer.

7. Say

Say Forum Resident

Not only a Wilsonian 5.1 mix quicksrt, for those who admire that kinda thing, but also have Steve Wilson pick up the mic and collaborate with Page, Bonham and Jones for a new album. Would be cool to hear.

8. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

www.bullmoose.com seems to be the lowest price around for the 2 CD sets. They were for the last go round also.

I've pre-ordered the 2 CD sets from CDJapan. I was impressed enough with the packaging of the last batch that I'm sticking with them.

ClassicRockTragic likes this.
  9. gstring

gstring Active Member

I'm looking forward to PG too, there's a lot of scope in the presentation, wonder if they will stuff four vinyls into one cover - double album and two companion albums, (if they do two companions). Wonder if it will be out for Christmas!

10. shirtandtie

"Vinyl" is already plural without the "s."

Sorry I had to do it. :hide:

RoyalScam likes this.
  11. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

How was the packaging different from the domestic releases? Are there photos anywhere?

12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

IV is my all time favorite Zep album so I'm all in on it..

Not sure about Houses...

13. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Reading how disappointed some folks are by the bonus discs, I'm not sure what people were expecting. Obviously, the primary purpose of these releases is to remaster and re-release the original albums. The bonus content is just that, a bonus. I don't think they were ever intended to be considered better or more important than the final versions that ended up on the original albums.

I'd get people's complaints if we were being forced to buy the bonus content in order to get the remastered original albums, but where Zep has seemingly gone out of their way to create as many purchasing options as possible so that you don't have to buy the extra stuff if you don't want it, I just don't get how anyone can complain. But it's the internet, so people have to find something wrong with it I guess.

I for one am looking forward to these releases more than any others in the catalog, so as far as I am concerned Oct 28th can't come soon enough.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's not like you have to pay extra for the bonus material.

15. shirtandtie

Nearly identical but the discs come in a protective sleeve which makes it super easy to slide them in and out and not scratch them. That's the biggest selling point. However, the transparent track listing on the back is on a resealable plastic covering which also comes with it, so you don't have to bother with the throw away saran wrap the U.S. versions come with. It'll be there forever! Here are some shots of the first disc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

With a wee bit of Fukushima sprinkled on top :-plnktn-:

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  17. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

Supposedly PG will be released on its 40th anniversary in March 2015.

slipkid and gstring like this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

PG will likely have just one additional LP with it. But there are in fact a few different takes of songs this time that they can use. I've heard out takes that were really great alt takes, not just different mixes for a few songs.

I'm glad that the LZ studio reels are all in order, not like Page's concert tape archive which has been raped and plundered.

40 years, wow, I remember it like it was yesterday.

808_state likes this.
  19. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

There are a ton of alternate takes of songs from PG. Depending on what JP does, there could easily be two CDs worth of material... easily.

audiotom and dee like this.
  20. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

So hopefully Physical and Presence in the Spring? I was in shock to find out they fast tracked these. Can't wait for October...

21. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got around to listening to the Zeppelin remasters.

As I was growing up my introduction to Led Zeppelin came in fits and starts. The first album I purchased at time of release was In Through The Out Door. I had picked up a few others over time & my brother had a few more.

Finally, I purchased the four CD box upon it's release in 1990. Loved it & purchased the two CD "rest of the stuff" box in 1993. So although I am familiar with all of the released Led Zeppelin material, this was the first time I ever owned Led Zeppelin I as a stand alone album. And the first time (maybe ever) that I listened to it in it's original track order.

There is a reason for that. Zeppelin I is my least favorite of their catalog. Led Zeppelin is a lot of things and I like most of them. The part of Zeppelin that I like least are the long blues rewordings. I thought the disc sounded okay but I haven't compared it to the box set. The live set started out great. Very exciting and (almost) punk. But I have to admit that I wasn't able to make it through 15 minutes of Dazed & confused & 10 minutes of Moby Dick.

Putting on II, I was shocked at how good Whole Lotta Love sounded. Much better than the tracks on Zeppelin I. Funny though, in terms of recording quality, The Lemon Song sounds like an outtake from Zeppelin I, especially after the dynamic sounding What Is And What Should Never Be. Overall, the disc sounds very good. It is crank able with no harshness. The drums are big, the guitars crunchy, the bass powerful and the vocals are NOT screechy. No unfortunate EQ choices.

One odd thing I noticed is the drums in Thank You come in strong, then drop back for the first three snare hits, then come back out front & stay that way for the rest of the track. Funny. Never heard that before. Great sounding track.

I have to run through the second disc yet. After I listen to II, I will post again.

anthontherun, tmtomh and Tuna82 like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The great rock 'n' roll swindle?

love4another likes this.
  23. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Preview for IV

Cake, Stuart S and coffeetime like this.
  24. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I still think everyone that is disappointed with the bonus content is going to be in for a surprise with the CODA reissue. Think about it....would that not be the logical place to put some truly unreleased songs. I think the only reason ll/lll had a couple of new/unreleased tracks was to show good faith and Jimmy is holding back the real gems for the end with CODA.

25. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

IF there are riffs like that on Achilles Last Stand...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.