Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material (Pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

So is that $75 each? Hmmm. They've been out of my price range at $120 but $75 is very tenpting

2. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Page had some of the tracks edited on the official release. Moby Dick was added (it was not bootlegged) but Heartbreaker and HMMT were cut down.

3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Exactly, these have been mastered very well. These easily beat the two prior masterings.

RogerB, JimC, Stuart S and 2 others like this.
  4. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

To those who are moaning about not having an audio equivalent of the DVD, would you rather have the same performances on audio/video AND audio without the video or that on audio/video AND a completely unique live album from '72?

We know what MAY be lurking in the wings as far as live releases are concerned:

· Bath (don't know if multitracks exist but Jimmy confirmed that the footage exists, albeit "too dark" which I'm sure could be remedied)
    · Japan - The wet dream of all the Zep collector's I've heard are talking about Japan
    · Southampton - Allegedly a pretty rough performance so no chance
    · Earls Court - WITH an accompanying DVD please
    · Knebworth - Ditto the above

Probably there's more though.

5. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

They were one of the few bands where the shows were not simply a regurgitation of the album. Up there with the Grateful Dead, King Crimson, Allman Brothers and Phish. I love the Rolling Stones live, but the songs were typically pretty close to the official releases. The energy was there but not a certain aura of unpredictability.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Has anyone else noticed that the Houses Of The Holy remaster sucks compared to the Diament?

The Diament is wider and clearer, like a lower gen tape was used. Any thoughts?

tlake6659 and George P like this.
  7. I don't think it sucks compared to anything.

RogerB, RichardG, Scott222C and 6 others like this.
  8. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Low end sounds excellent on Stairway on my system, its Misty Mountain Hop that sounds way different to me, probably because I'm not hearing a smiley face version anymore.

9. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I'm listening to the 2cd set now and think it sounds great. I have not compared it to other versions yet. Just letting my ears be the judge.

JimC likes this.
  10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I agree, I think the only song that sounds like it is bass shy is Black Dog, which I think sounds best on the Marino mastering.

*I am going to go back and listen again though. Not sure if I really prefer the Marino for the track, but I am certain I don't like the Sidore.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I disagree, I think this remaster beats the Diament, although it is certainly closer than II or III, which beat the Diaments handily.

Tommyboy, aoxomoxoa, JimC and 3 others like this.
  12. I think it's fair to say that they've taken into consideration The Loudness Wars when remastering these first five Led Zeppelin albums. They certainly aren't too loud and I don't think they are clipped at all. Correct me on the clipping if I'm wrong. I've heard CDs that are far more compressed and smashed. Smashed... these certainly are not.

JimC likes this.
  13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Be sure to have a close listen with headphones when comparing to the diament CD. You may be surprised.

Funnily enough, I really like the Diament of II and find the Diament III pretty bad.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I agree on III. Not very good at all.

15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Agree on the bass on Black Dog, I'm so used to the Marinos I guess. But I LOVE THE CYMBALS on black dog and the WHOLE ALBUM- all that shimmer, ping and decay. I think its time I put away my Zildjian Custom A's and bring out my Paistie 2002's, Rude's and Signatures till Peart convinces me to bring out the A's again.

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, as I have said, the Porky/Pecko is bass shy on Black Dog as well, or at least my copy is. Because it is the first track, it may cloud initial judgments, but Black Dog doesn't really sound like the other tracks.

17. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

If all these odds and ends are actually put on Coda bonus disc, it would make Coda the most interesting release of all the Zep reissues. Who would have thought that?

JimC, qtrules and jeffd7030 like this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

Just got IV and Houses from CDJapan. Great packaging again! Plus the first press come with cool posters for each album. Now get down to some serious listening. Glad I went with CDJapan they know how to do it no bent corners beautiful packaging arrived perfect and the posters are awesome will frame them.

Mike McMann likes this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Not that I wouldn't welcome a massive Coda set packed with alternate takes and whatnot, but I don't really understand why people are latching onto that idea just because it seems like a logical place for them or because Coda is a harder sell. Obviously there's a precedent for "Hey Hey What Can I Do" appearing on Coda, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that. But the only logic behind expecting, say, the Bombay version of "Four Sticks" to be on the Coda reissue is that it wasn't included on IV.

What makes more sense IMO is a Coda reissue that's more in line with the core catalog--perhaps including "Swan Song" on the bonus disc as a selling point--followed by a massive Beatles Anthology-style box set with alternate takes, demos, etc. To me, it'd be a lot easier to retroactively stomach all the slightly different alternate mixes on the companion discs if it was evident that the more interesting, work-in-progress stuff had been in the cards all along. Especially if they throw out the stupid "no bootlegged material" rule.

Simon A likes this.
  20. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Judicious editing. All their live releases are that way, to avoid permissions for brief cover versions within longer songs. Too bad really.

Simon A likes this.
  21. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Yep its on mine

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Who decided it was a clever idea to ruin HOTH artwork? Now the complete cover is nowhere to be found because of that stupid re-colorized of the front, so when you open the gatefold and spread it, you see the same image twice. I thought the booklet was going to include it (like the old CD did), but I was wrong. This really pisses me off. It's a Little detail, maybe, I know, but it still pisses me off.

four sticks and ledsox like this.
  23. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I'm really enjoying these remasters as well as companion discs.
    I have bought all the deluxe CDs and the HOTH single vinyl.

Very affordable and fun way to "revisit" some great music with a slightly different sound. I can't believe the criticism of Page here sometimes I think people expect too much.

I'll buy the rest of the set and am really looking forward to Physical Graffitti!

RogerB, EricSwan, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Testing.

25. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Well, here is the comparison of spectra of the first 13 seconds (where tape hiss is most pronounced) right-channel-only excerpt of FLAC / AAC0.75 / MP3V0 versions of John Davis' CD remaster of Stairway To Heaven:

[​IMG]
    Tiny differences between FLAC & AAC spectra & a tad more substantial differences between FLAC & MP3 spectra (above 16kHz, mind you)... ;)

rcsrich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.