Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Look like great sets. Much appreciate that the bonus material is available in an affordable package, not just the super deluxe versions.

Was hoping for some surround sound, though. Oh well. Will still probably pick them all up for the bonus material. :)

2. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Hope Baby Come On Home will also be on Coda. Shame there's no Sugar Mama, Sunshine Woman etc. I would have liked them to incorporate remastered versions of the BBC Sessions for the first two, including Sunshine Woman and a unedited 1969 concert!

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Robert?

BrettyD, snkcube, vinylbeat and 3 others like this.
  4. It only took a few hours until someone posted MONEY GRAB. I should have placed a bet. Here we go..... :tiphat:

5. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

6. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You either want Zeppelin Studio Sessions and live tapes from the band officially or you do not. It's the demand for LZ on vinyl that this forum has been crying about for the last 8 or 10 years now.

God I hope that they don't blow it on the LP mastering, and we'd have to hear about that for the next 20 years, or until LZ fans kick the bucket for good.

mdm08033 and tmtomh like this.
  8. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So has anyone confirmed that the LPs are cut from digital masters?

9. It only took a few hours for someone to say FIASCO. Even though it wasn't attributed to LZ. :tiphat:

10. redsox444

redsox444 New Member

I'm pretty pumped to hear these remasters and the extra disc of unreleased material, but I'm conflicted about the vinyl included the Super Deluxe version. I'm on the fence about remastered/reissued vinyl, so I was wondering to see what everyone's thoughts on remastered vinyl is (especially something like this new release). Do you all think remastered material reissued on vinyl is a good thing or is it ruining the originals?

11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Are the hi-res downloads available only with the deluxe editions?

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They will very likely be digitally remastered, from high resolution files, but yes digital I would guess.

There is a world of analog cut LP all over ebay for those that must have analog. Prices run $50 to $60 for the really nicer ones.

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

As is said in The Song Remains The Same: "No comment... that's more incriminating than a comment"

14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Blimey! You just saved me $126.56! Free shipping in USA. Off to cancel Amazon.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  15. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Agreed, although unless I'm mistaken (or Page has versions that have never been bootlegged), Sunshine Woman only exists as an AM-broadcast recording from a BBC session whose master tapes were later erased; and Fire is only a rough rehearsal tape in poor sound quality. Sugar Mama is IMHO not a very good song, but I think you are right that Page almost certainly has it in better quality than we've seen on the bootlegs.

I wonder if we'll ever see the mythical, not-sure-if-it-even-exists "St. Tristan's Sword" on the Coda reissue? I assume the fully mixed alternate version of "In the Light" will end up on the Physical Graffiti bonus disc, but I wonder about the instrumental "Swan Song" - on the one hand it's a unique track and so might end up on Coda. On the other hand, it's part of an instrumental suite that produced Kashmir, so it might end up on PG. In fact, as far as I know, aside from Swan Song, we don't have bootlegs of Page's instrumental noodlings in official release-worthy quality. Would be amazing to get that stuff on the PG bonus disc.

Finally, there are the 1972 Bombay, India versions of Friends and Four Sticks, with the Bombay Orchestra (complete with sitar of course). It would be incredible to get those in improved sound quality, but I'm not holding my breath there - very unlikely IMHO.

frank3si and DrBeatle like this.
  16. But you get them all in the Deluxe sets. So you want backups too? Doubles of everything?

17. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

The fact that on can get bare-bones CD and vinyl sets of the remasters in addition to the deluxe and super-deluxe sets tells me that they really are trying to cater to different levels of fandom with these.

18. Well at least this thread will take away a bit of the PONO panic for awhile :tiphat:

eddiel likes this.
  19. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Two hours is too long cuz that's what it is! :)

Mazzy likes this.
  20. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

^I'm with you, for studio stuff THAT is what I'd love to hear from LZ. I love the band dearly, they're one of my top 5 bands of all-time, but I don't have as much interest in listening to their rough mixes and alternate takes the way I do with, say, the Beatles. But unreleased or markedly different songs? Absolutely!

supermd likes this.
  21. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

True true.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Although I'm getting to the point where I'd prefer the simple download to a Blu-Ray that I can't/won't rip, I know what you mean. I'm still finding HDTracks items to buy other than Beggar's Banquet / Let It Bleed because the $2 "hey, we're the Stones" premium just ticks me off.

23. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

So would it have killed them to include a hi res disc instead of the download? Why not make everything downloadable including the booklets? Un***kingbelieveable :thumbsdow

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Really? I would think that those sessions are very likely to be included on the 4th album reissue. Why not?

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Because it makes these sets cost even more. Not everyone has money to blow right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.