Led Zeppelin Remasters in 2014 to include 2nd disc of bonus material

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

An interesting note from the Mojo story (http://www.mojo4music.com/12781/led-zeppelin-remasters-arrive-last/):

If this is true - and Page is a known collector of bootlegs so he probably does know what's out there - then it's possible that some of these rough mixes and backing tracks actually are somewhat different than what's already leaked out over the years. We'll see...

supermd likes this.
  2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Yeah right, that's it. Give me a break, these boxes are exceeding the 100 dollar mark, with various packages. Reminds me of when I'm buying the kids school photos, cheap to über expensive. Let me buy hi res solo without all the other stuff. Try again.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The albums from 4th on will have more interesting bonus material. These early albums were recorded in a rush and sometimes on the road like II.

jsayers and tmtomh like this.
  4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I hope you are right, but I don't believe they will, for the following reasons:

(1) Friends is not relevant to the 4th album

(2) Both tracks were recorded well after the fourth album was released, in fact after they'd already started recording Houses of the Holy

(3) AFAIK Bonham and Jones weren't even in the studio, so it's a question as to whether the band even consider these to be Led Zeppelin performances

(4) There are plenty of "normal" outtakes and instrumental tracks they would be more likely to use to represent "Four Sticks" on the bonus disc

(5) I'm not entirely convinced that multitracks even existed for the Bombay sessions; and similarly, I'm not entirely convinced that Page's own master copy of the 2-track stereo tape sounds much better than the best-quality bootlegs

But again, I really hope I am wrong!

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh, you just don't think a DVD-A tucked in there adds anything to the cost. You better think again.

But man is there some PO'd people in this thread, I gotta say!!!!

Simon A likes this.
  6. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

How about a hi-rez disc on its own? I would have bought that. If they can do this for Grace Jones - Nightclubbing (which includes both discs from the 2-cd edition on Blu-ray) and George Michael - Symphonica I don't see why they can't do it for Zep as well. Oh well, they can't please everyone, but it doesn't hurt to try.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  7. jeffrey walsh

Have the vinyl and cd, give us something that hasn't been done before. Rush, Crimson, Yes and XTC are doing it.

oshfr and mdm08033 like this.
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well, it's been refreshing to read the comments. I think I'll go away now until June 3rd or there about. Bye, and good day!

tmtomh and jeffrey walsh like this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would have liked 5.1, but not sure others care about it.

10. jeffrey walsh

You better let them know, 134 and change for the self titled set on Amazon. Your gonna be poorer for sure. :)

11. They are releasing more options that almost any other band has and people are STILL bitching. Just enjoy the friggen music. :tiphat:

12. Read the Rhino email just now and got a bit giddy when i saw the box sets but then reality hit home after a few minutes - I love Led Zeppelin but looking at the track listing there's some pretty piss-poor tracks on there, even the live Paris set can't sway me. I have the Japanese mini-lp Cd boxset which i'm more than happy with, im more interested in the vinyl of just the single albums, balls to bonus tracks and alternate takes, what a big sack of bollocks!

13. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Partially listed on Amazon CA

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Odd that Poor Tom, Hey Hey what Can I do, etc isn't here, that must mean theer's a deluxe Coda. Which I guess is OK, but I don't really consider that part of the 'core catalog'.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm the type that likes studio outtakes and rough mixes or my favorite bands. I expect to listen to LZ II in it's remastered form zero times. I'm burnt to a crisp on these early records. They don't rock my world anymore like when I was 14 and stoned, and the world was a different place.

Ray29 likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I want that deluxe set signed by the boys..

17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

So those who wanted HD tracks got their wish, even though there is no physical media, only downloads. Not too shabby!

18. athensdrums

athensdrums Forum Resident

As a longtime Led Zeppelin fan whose LPs have seen better days, has never purchased LZ bootlegs, and was less than impressed with earlier CD masterings...I'm kind of excited about all this.

vinylbeat, tmtomh, wgriel and 2 others like this.
  19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Has anyone said BAMBOOZLED yet? :nyah:

Mazzy likes this.
  20. Besides, that's where they've parked it previously - I don't know about the regular CD issue, but "Hey Hey" was included as a hidden track on the edition included in that black "Complete Recordings" box.

tmtomh likes this.
  21. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Forum Resident

“... super deluxe edition box sets contain a high-definition download card with ALL content in 96kHz/24!”

I just made three expensive pre-order mouse clicks, and will be dancing at an undisclosed San Francisco park sometime soon!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  22. botley

botley Forum Resident

You can hear previews for yourself on iTunes, these same remasters have been there in the store for a couple of years now.

23. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I am also pleased that the old "lets put the outtakes/concert bonus material only in the deluxe product" isnt being done. Good on Jimmy Page and all for not stinking it up with some marketing ploy BS such as that. Im also glad that the deluxe versions look to be something that isnt going to be so limited that everyone who can muster the dough can purchase one.

All of this means nothing, of course, if these dont sound awesomely awesome. Gawd-dang-it, I hope they do.

KAT likes this.
  25. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Hope that the single discs are put into a box set. Any news on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.