Led Zeppelin RSD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DBMartin, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got this yellow 7" 45 of Rock and Roll / Friends yesterday, and I must say, I don't really hear a difference between this new Sunset mix of RnR compared with the original, while the Friends Olympic mix does sound fresh and new to me. What are your thoughts?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  2. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Is there anywhere online to listen to these new mixes?

3. DBMartin

Haven't found them yet, they're supposed to be completely new (previously unreleased).

Mook likes this.
  4. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Are these songs from the last Deluxe Set or new?

5. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Unreleased Mixes not part of the Led Zeppelin reissues.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I concur. There were quite a few mixes included in the reissues that I felt the same way about -- barely noticeable differences -- that left me quite underwhelmed in the end.

I've only listened to the RSD release once so far, but if I wasn't told it was a different mix of "Rock And Roll", I am certain I would have thought it was the same mix I've heard my whole life. "Friends" absolutely differs from the album. It's pretty cool -- not as good the album version, but at least it's clearly a variation.

Can't say I'll spin this one often. The yellow vinyl looks cool, though...

southamorican, DrBeatle and DBMartin like this.
  7. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

The version of Friends on the single didn't have the orchestra while the version on the LZ III companion disc had no vocals. (but with orchestra)

Kashmir on the released lp vs the companion disc seemed very similar to me.

intv7 and DBMartin like this.
  8. DBMartin

Good to know, I never got the deluxe reissues, thought that just the standard CDs and LPs were enough for me. I went to my favourite record store in Amsterdam yesterday to get the Pink Floyd and Bruce Springsteen RSD records, but when I saw this little Zep single, I was tempted by the new mix of RnR (and the yellow vinyl to be honest). Still glad I got it though, nice little collector's item, even if overpriced...

9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, there are a number of legitimately interesting and different alternate mixes throughout the reissues -- however there also were quite a few that seemed like a complete waste of space, IMO, as any differences were so minor I didn't even notice them. On the whole, I still do recommend the deluxe versions.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Vocal effects on "Friends" are quite different on this single, too.

11. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Like all the other zeppelin product released in the last decade - very lazy and nothing to get excited about...still bought it though, obviously..:winkgrin:

12. DBMartin

When it comes to Led Zeppelin, I'm a bit of an odd fan maybe, because I got this RSD item, and I also have the 20th anniversary single of Stairway to Heaven, but there are also a lot of releases of theirs that I really don't care for much... I guess I'm not enough of a fan to really appreciate the deluxe editions. I really enjoy many of the songs on their first six studio albums, but don't find much interesting on the other three, and I'm not much of a live Zep fan either. The DVD of Celebration Day is quite good, and I might pick up TSRTS DVD cheap, but there's not much else that I'm really looking for. I was lucky enough to find a Led Zeppelin II RL (both sides) in VG condition for only 25 euros here in the Netherlands, which is probably my most valued item of theirs.

13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed. In many of the tracks, the "differences" are more textural than anything else and your ears *really* have to be 'tuned in" to how the originals have sounded over the years in order to pick up on any difference. But if you're a fan, I agree with your last sentence as well. The deluxe boxes, while a little overpriced (so what else is new...), serve both the purpose of satisfying audio-wise by including both LP and CD, well as nicely taking you back to each respective moment in time with those books. And save for the actual box of II (where the brown seems to fade along the edges), they are all very nicely made.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  14. DBMartin

Are these the Super Deluxe reissues that you are referring to? Because those are a lot more expensive than the Deluxe CD/LP reissues, and offer much more extra in terms of presentation and multi-format, but don't include anything new song-wise over the Deluxes...

DK Pete likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yes, the super-deluxe.

DBMartin likes this.
  16. DBMartin

I once almost got the Super Deluxe edition of Led Zeppelin IV, because I really love that album much more than any other one of theirs, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend over 100 euros on something that was so wonderfully presented, but that I knew I was never going to listen to much, except for the original LP itself...

DK Pete likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I completely understand that...I bought only II and HOTH in super-deluxe form. With the others, I went for the "regular" deluxe sets on CD and LP in spread out purchases...and they still come out considerably less expensive than the box sets.

DBMartin likes this.
  18. DBMartin

The HOTH Super Deluxe does look gorgeous with that big orange box, and I really like the dark cover image of that album too!

DK Pete likes this.
  19. How much money are sellers charging for the rsd 45? (In stores)

20. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

To anyone who really knows the original version of Rock And Roll, the differences are obvious.

ODShowtime, johnny q, mrcond and 3 others like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In the US it seems to be $10-12. $10 is the regular going rate but someone on here paid $12. I could see some stores charging a bit more too. Can't see any are trying to gouge with higher prices though because if you buy from the label a $10 retail price is going to be ok, but the label won't deal with you direct (due to volumes) and you need to buy from a distributor then it'll cost a store a bit more.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  22. dude

dude Senior Member

Please elaborate.

Vinyl_Blues, intv7 and DBMartin like this.
  23. DBMartin

The Dutch/European instore price was around 15 euros, so quite expensive. But then the Floyd RSD was also 35 euros in Holland/Europe, instead of $22 or so in the US...

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I think this was a total rip off of $10. While I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, nothing new jumped out at me. Jimmy Page screws us again! Total waste of money.

JasonA likes this.
  25. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Different ending to the guitar solo, no (or barely audible) piano, big reverb on closing drum salvo, more prominent bass, generally more raucous IMO.

Prefer it to the album version.

snkcube, johnny q, mrcond and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.