Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains the Same"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by petzi, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petzi

petzi Forum Resident Thread Starter

This was always a weird sounding record. Maybe they had a misaligned Dolby system or someting. I had both the original vinyl and the original CD, but they seem to have the same sonic flaws.

Now I see that Classic Records release this one. I guess they didn´t fix the flaws present in this record?

How about the DVD? Anybody here who has the DVD? Is it remixed? Does it sound better than the regular CD?

2. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I actually just got through watching the DVD and I liked the way it sounded.

Good solid bass on my subwoofer and a conservative Dolby Surround Mix. Nice and clean, not much distortion.

3. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

:agree:

Not to mention a great anamorphic video transfer!

4. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Roland.

What have you got at home for taking full advantage of such capabilities?

Thanks in advance.

5. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Basically the DVD uses the matrix Dolby Surround mix from the initial theatrical release. It has not been remixed, although the movie and the album never had the same mix anyway. Frankly - there are points when the CD bests the DVD (the guitar is mixed rather low in Rock n' Roll), and vice versa (Dazed and Confused is more dynamic on the DVD). The real problem with the movie is that most of the performances are edited as it was not intended to be a "filmed concert" as much as documentary about a concert (with some rather comical fantasy sequences thrown in. They do seem so much more funny now than they did then).

6. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Hello Pablo. I don't know that I could say I am taking "full advantage" of the anamorphic video presentation, but I own a Sony Wega KV-36FV26 which does recognize it.

When I first purchased the DVD, I compared it to my older VHS copy and the difference was very dramatic - to my eyes at least.

Regards.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Pablo, you can also use a widescreen TV with the DVD player set to output 16X9 picture and you'll get about 30% more lines of picture information. Basically a nicer image. An anamorphic DVD transfer is a rareity in the world of music DVDs, but common for film releases now.

I like the way "Song" is on DVD. Good picture and sound that sounds nice especially if you have a good processor to extract the Dolby-matrix sound. Something like Dolby Pro-logic II or Logic 7 is really nice.

8. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Just to learn if some of us have done the jump to 16:9, progressive DVD player and large screens.

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.