Left Banke: There's Gonna Be A Storm vs Sundazed CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not a fan of remixes, but Storm is definitely pleasing...

2. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Not to stir up any trouble, but 2 things:
    The Mono single mix of "Walk Away Renee" has never appeared on CD. I own all of the CDs previously mentioned, and all of them contain the LP version of this song. (much to my disappointment)

If Bob Irwin did anything, he resisted the temptation to RE-EQ those tapes. Unfortunately, Paul is right, they DO sound that bad.
    They really tweaked the hell out of those songs on the Storm comp, but I like it.
    My favorite Left Banke comp is one I made for myself using needledrops of the mono singles. The intros on the single versions of these songs are not clipped like they are on the LP.

CliffL and Michael like this.
  3. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

But, since you just can't walk into a store and grab an original mix, this is really good. Now, you can't even walk into a store and grab "There's Gonna Be A Storm".

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

this is true! a long time gone...but, most fans already have it which is cool.:) always new fans around the corner...it's those that are sorta screwed.

5. Michael

basically Bill started from scratch from the multi-tracks...
    so if the American Beatles albums Vol 1 &2 are from 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation tapes...the LB must be from the 12 generation!

6. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I'm really thankful he did that. I like the Storm comp. What we really need is a mono singles collection from these guys. Being a fan of theirs is really frustrating. Come on guys, what are you waiting for, the oxide to fall off the tapes?

7. Michael

better yet a Stereo/Mono release like the American Beatles CDs of both albums...added bonus tracks as well...nice!

Hutch likes this.
  8. Royce

Royce Senior Member

THIS. (Nice Michael!)

Michael likes this.
  9. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Only dedicated mono mixes were made of Walk Away Renee, Lazy Day, Haven't Got The Nerve, Pretty Ballerina, Barterers and their Wives and She May Call You Up Tonight, and were available on 45s. The LP was a fold down (I think).

10. Michael

hopefully someone is watching and picks up on this! and also picks up on The Smoke-The Smoke another album I've been hoping to show up on CD officially...there was a crappy boot tat sucked.
    New Sounds! come on, man...:D

11. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I respectfully beg to differ. The original stereo mix of WALK AWAY, RENEE is a classic example of "magazine mixing"--a "set it and forget it" type of mix it just seems like the 4 track was mized dry with simple panning and no efx to it. The remix of WAR sounds more like the single version (with that awesome sounding reverb on the voice) than the original stereo mix even comes CLOSE to.

12. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

Agreed. I never paid much attention to the Left Bank Too as it was presented on There's Gonna Be A Storm until I heard it in the original order. (Actually, I was inspired to do so after reading another Left Banke thread.) Now I think it's almost as fine as the first album.
    As for the tracks themselves, I don't hear much difference compared to the Sundazed versions. They sure weren't remixed, like the Pretty Ballerina tracks. And while those remixes definitely sound cleaner, I think it's perfectly valid for Sundazed to give us the original mix, in all its lopsided stereo glory.

BadJack likes this.
  13. Royce

Royce Senior Member

I don't know about The Smoke album. Is it similar to the Left Banke material?

This is the way I feel too. :)

14. Michael

no, but...

15. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Agreed. Good mastering for me is when I find I want to turn the volume up instead of down. And the two Sundazed CDs invite me to crank it. :agree:

16. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Is there one thread on this forum where you haven't posted about this album? :D

It's like your signature.

And it's Now Sounds, btw.

Really good album. Are you Michael Lloyd?

17. Michael

I've been shouting for this album for the past 12 years on the forum...if it bothers you I am truly sorry and please pardon my enthusiasm...

18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Or perhaps other releases of this material received some serious eq. My point was that you don't know what the tapes sound like but Irwin does, and for better or worse he showed the world what they sounded like.

GroovinGarrett and Michael like this.
  19. Paul Saldana

'Storm ' was almost entirely remixed from the multis - this means that the tapes used to create ' Storm' have been used for only that one cd, and no vinyl. Everything else uses the cruddy sounding 2-track mixdowns, of multi-generational dubs of same.

20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

But I did! Well, it was a few years ago, but I'll always remember that day.

21. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Amazon has a few used for about ten bucks.

22. Michael

I will disagree with you again..I see it as an excuse. The CDs are terrible.

23. Paul Saldana

You're not actually disagreeing with me as to what these tapes sound like, you're disagreeing with Irwin, who actually held the masters in his hands!

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

Paul, please stop.:)

25. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Now Sounds, are you listening?!

now_sounds and Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.