Legacy Recordings Acquires Catalog of Music Legend Van Morrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lars1966, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

2. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There's a cut at the very end of Slim Slow Slider, and then the last few seconds are free jazz-ish. The transition is what we'll get now; will be very interesting to hear :).

dee likes this.
  3. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Anymore word about the 7digital downloads..?

I am a bit confused that st Dominic's and too late to stop now have surfaced as high Rez downloads, as I thought those were getting the expanded treatment (per the press release)...

I am kind of waiting to get some more information on the lineage of these sources before taking the plunge...

First reports of sound quality in the hd downloads thread are quite positive; I just want to know what it is exactly that I am buying...

4. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

I'm confused too, so I checked the press release and it's not very clear.

They key paragraph states: "Forthcoming new Van Morrison releases on the Legacy label will include a new career-spanning single CD compilation and deluxe Legacy Editions of classic Van Morrison solo albums: Saint Dominic's Preview, It's Too Late to Stop Now, Hard Nose the Highway and Enlightenment."

Note that it says "deluxe", not "expanded". I wonder if this could be the same CD content with plush packaging but no bonus tracks? I know that in the case of It's Too Late to Stop Now, Van was very particular over the selection of tracks. They had to be good, because he wouldn't permit overdubbing (hence no Moondance, there being no "perfect" live version). Obviously, they found an acceptable Brown Eyed Girl for the 2008 CD release, so perhaps there will be more. I live in hope.

Whatever, I took the plunge and bought the 7digital 24bit 96kHz version for £12.99 and have no regrets. It's stunning. When you get to my age, you don't know how long you've got left, so it's just too risky to wait for something that might never materialise. :)

Best wishes to all from Cumbria, UK.

Phil

5. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

No wonder no-one (other than us lot) buy Hi Rez downloads when the picture is so confused. o_O

6. AlmondRoca

AlmondRoca Forum Resident

What I'm still waiting for (...yes I know, in Van World, waiting's nothing new) is some kind of definitive word or list of where these 2015 digital releases are sourced from.

Say for instance you wanted to buy "Irish Heartbeat" from Pono or 7digital. What exactly are you getting: the 1988 mastering, or the 1998 remaster, or maybe even the 2008 remaster which went unreleased when the '08 reissue campaign was suspended?

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  7. jy3iix

jy3iix Forum Resident

Bonus tracks and dynamic range info on the 7digital hi-res correspond just about exactly with the 2008 editions for both Veedon Fleece and Wavelength. Ended up getting those two first as test subjects since I readily had the DR info from the CD releases to compare against them.
    Initially had concerns about the low-ish DR and normalised peaks on VF, but... they sound fine, very fine, both albums - and 24/96 editions of the masters prepared for 2008 CD release are what I was personally after from this campaign - so I loaded in and added Grand Opera House Belfast, No Guru No Method No Teacher, Irish Heartbeat, Hymns To The Silence and The Philosopher's Stone.
    I'm holding out for superior or additional bonus track-worthy deluxe editions of Saint Dominic's Preview and It's Too Late To Stop Now so did not get the current offerings of those two. And there are no 24/96 listings (yet) for either Into The Music or Common One, although the 7digital UK store does have the 2008 bonus track editions of both in 16/44.1.
    ITM is an absolute must for me so hoping that whatever the issue is there gets sorted out - as someone said upthread, it could be some residual Warner Bros / Polydor complication.
    The rest of Van's catalogue I'm less interested in, so haven't explored any further than those albums I've mentioned.

The 2008 digital transfers are gold copy IMHO. Recent PCM technology easily beats what was available for the 1998 or earlier transfer/mastering jobs. Others may have different priorities, but that's my benchmark when looking at hi-res remasters.

So my overall opinion - great, great hi-res reissue campaign - the best of 2015 so far.
    BTW, not exclusive to 7digital. Exactly the same filesets are also available from the Onkyo hi-res online store.

8. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for this. I am personally not a fan of the 2008 or 1998 masterings (sound somewhat bright and compressed to me), so I will stick with the original Warner Brothers CDs.

I do like the HDTracks downloads of Astral Weeks, Moondance and His Band and St. Choir though.

9. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

IINM the nomenclature "Legacy Edition" on Sony indicates at least a 2-CD release. (There was a Legacy Edition of a Spiritualized album that ran to 3 discs.) This is distinct from the label name "Sony Legacy." Actually there is a whole extra LP of Van-approved material for Too Late to Stop Now; it was originally intended to be a triple-LP, but Warner wouldn't finance it.

stem and Isaac McHelicopter like this.
  10. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is seriously great news! There is so much wonderful music on the double LP, I can't wait to hear the rest..

11. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Let me clarify (I realize my wording was ambiguous): a whole extra LP of material intended for Too Late to Stop Now exists (and circulates "unofficially"), but I have no idea what extra material will or won't be included on the Legacy Edition.

Interestingly, the version of "Brown Eyed Girl" on the 2008 remaster was not part of the planned 3rd LP -- it's a straight-up outtake. So none of the extra LP of material has ever been officially released.

12. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Has the expanded astral weeks been released yet..? Or are you referring to the astral weeks one that was released on hdtracks a few years back (I have that one, too-I love it, as well)...

I have philosophers stone from pono, but it is 44.1/16. Is there a higher res version of this available at 7digital..?

Holding out for the extra material on st Dominic's, too late to stop, and hard nose. I guess I will have to double dip for astral weeks when the release with the extra tracks sees the light of day...

13. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was getting ahead of myself there! Let's hope they liberate the whole of what's available unofficially.

Maggie likes this.
  14. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I was referring to the ones released a few years back on HDTracks.

15. dee

dee Senior Member

Expanded AW OCT. 30th last I saw. :). I might just opt for the bonus track purchases, especially of the 2 full length tracks. I think there's only four extra tracks in total. I am curious if the long versions will 'sound just like' the edited versions. In other words, will we as listeners be able to replace the edited versions and have the long versions fit in sonically within the sound of the whole album. I assume these bonus tracks have not been remixed.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Yes, please

17. couchdave

couchdave Founding member of Mystik Spiral

r7splash and IpseDixit like this.
  18. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Fantastic, thanks!

19. We will see how long this will last.

20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I just want Van and whatever Big Time Operators are putting this catalog back into print – but especially Van – that I intend to buy every darned one of them!

JeffMo likes this.
  21. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Both the link above and the one on the Mojo site here aren't working for me..

22. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I've just seen an announcement in the latest, Kinks cover Record collector that 33 lps are getting Legacy expanded editions. Does that mean physical releases?
    The comment mentioned the inclusionof previously unissued material too.
    Has there been any further announcement elsewhere?
    Seems to be a bit late for that to be referring to the streaming/download versions which have been out for the last month.

melstapler likes this.
  23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

No guru is OK the rest are not that great afterwards though. Would you agree?

24. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Do you have more than one fork at dinner? Start on the left and move rightif you do...

25. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

No.

mattdegu, Sandinista, 905 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.