LeMans but no Grand Prix?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ubsman, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

I'm not buying LeMans until Grand Prix is available, then I will buy both at the same time. Anyone know why Grand Prix isn't out yet?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've been wondering the same thing. Le Mans I have no desire to own, but Grand Prix is one movie I've been waiting to have on DVD ever since the format came out. It was recently shown on TCM, which is usually a sign that a DVD has either just been released or is coming soon, but I haven't sen any announcements.

John K.

3. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

Actually, TCM has been showing "Grand Prix" on TV for a number of years now (since at least '99), so I don't think that's a good indicator. I have "Le mans" because I'm a McQueen fan, but I would also welcome GP.

Stephen

4. jdw

jdw Senior Member

A Region 1 DVD documentary on the film, "The Making Of Grand Prix", was released last year. I haven't seen it, but I've read that it's horrible - a 20 minute compilation of promos from the '60s that apparently doesn't have much footage from the actual film. It's nothing that John Frankenheimer would have approved for DVD (or its release in the '60s).

There's a rumor that Grand Prix has been mastered for DVD but the release has been suspended due to legal problems. Just a rumor, though. Frankenheimer has passed away, but hopefully some kind of special edition set can be put together. A commentary track with James Garner, the film technicians, and the drivers from that era would be worth hearing...

I'm a member of a Frankenheimer discussion group at google.com (my user name there is budziat). It's only a year old, and we need new members to get some dialogue happening.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/frankenheimer/

A new special edition DVD of "The Manchurian Candidate" is being released this summer, and the Jonathan Demme re-make is coming out this Fall (?). Hopefully this will lead the studios to release some more of Frankenheimer's films on DVD. Grand Prix is the main MIA at this point...

5. Fastworker

Fastworker New Member

Amen - Saw Grand Prix on the Cinerama screen at an impressionable age and haven't been the same since. Curious that this, and another James Garner vehicle, The Rockford Files, and both still unavailable on DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.