Lemmy: "Hip Hop Is Not Music"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by greatmuta, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

This was actually an interview with Lemmy's mole.

2. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

He has a right to his opinion...

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

So have those that disagree with him. So?

4. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Not on this board. On this board opinions are only tolerated if they conform to a modern liberal mindset, (i.e. anything that challenges the taste/value of a genre is automatically degenerated into a race issue). If Lemmy had come out and said "polka isn't music," no one on this board would give a rat's behind.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

A very astute and probably accurate observation, Oliver.

6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It would still be a stupid thing to say and I would disagree. And I'm not an outspoken polka fan (though there has been some fun speed polka the last couple of years).

7. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Are you kidding? 95% of the people on this forum hate hip hop.

Whenever we try to have any sort of a hip hop thread, people, including yourself, love ******** all over the music in question (see: the Kanye West thread).

8. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Anytime I hear the argument about hip-hop glorifying violence, negativity, misogyny or that there are no musicians or people who play instruments etc. It pretty much tells me that the person talking doesn't know what they're talking about, and they're taking their "hip-hop" cues from 50 Cent, Lil' Wayne, and whatever dreck that they had the misfortune of hearing.

9. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love Lemmy
    I dont really like Hip Hop
    but that doesnt make it "not music"

that's just a ******* statement in my book

10. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

"Hip-hop is not music" is a pretty vanilla outlook. It's not exactly out there.

11. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Also an accurate observation.

There are certain targets that have always been acceptable to criticize over the years---polka music, banjos, lawyers, Detroit, teen idols, it's just how it is.

12. Music is sounds meant to please the ears. Most hip hop is not music to my ears, nor is most Lemmy. Hip hop does please the ears of others, so as far as I'm concerned it is music.

13. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

That's a pretty ignorant statement. I'm not a fan of rap/hip hop by any stretch but the things that groups like Public Enemy were doing were pretty interesting and innovative, IMO.
    I love early Motorhead and still enjoy listening to those albums here and there but, at this point I can't relate at all to Lemmy (add to the list Osbourne, Rotten, etc) as he/they just come off as total buffoons.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

Lemmy also says Carrie Underwood is good and so is Kelly Clarkson.

So, he's right half the time. ;)

15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Although I think what he said was quite ignorant and worthy of criticism I do agree with your post. If Lemmy had slagged Judas Priest or Motley Crue most would have gladly piled on.

16. I would disagree very strongly that "polka isn't music".

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Those Andrews Sisters knew how to deliver a mean Polka.

18. You're right, we should put them on a diet of Digable Planets, Brand New Heavies, Common, Galliano, MC Solaar etc etc

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Your argument fails because the rebuttal to the anti hip-hop sentiment on this board is almost exclusively personal attacks, centering on: the age of the poster; his ignorance; his racial insensitivity; his bigotry and so on and so on. No one ever really tries to defend the music, rather they begin attacking the holder of the opposing viewpoint.

Now, whether this occurs because the stuff being discussed lacks the substance and merit to stand up to a critical analysis is another story entirely.

20. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

a review of this thread would indicate you are mistaken.

21. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Has a Rap or Hip Hop artist ever released a live album? Just curious.

Also, I don't think I have ever met someone taking music lessons, whether it be guitar, piano, etc., who wants to learn a Rap or Hip Hop song.

It may be music but it seems very limited.

22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

:righton:

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Yes. For instance.

24. And Jay-Z did an Unplugged appearance. With The Roots, though.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm just as bored of having to hear people speak their mind because hey at least they are being honest as I am with PCism. Both are boring.

Yeah too bad Lemmy forgot that when his idols came on the scene many people considered it noise. Too bad that he also forgot that many people call the style of music he likes nothing but noise.

I find it sad that some musicians have a need to put down other styles. Lemmy make write his own songs and play an instrument but he's hardly at the top of the game is he? I'd love to see Lemmy try and put together a host of samples myself. I bet he'd fail misreably. I tried it and it's not that easy. You need an ear for it.

All that Lemmy has shown is that he's just as closed minded as most people of his age or older. I find it sad. It's also pretty stupid to be putting people down because they don't consume copious amount of drugs and alcohol anymore. How idiotic is that?

And no he isn't due respect just because he's been around for a long time and he plays rock n roll. I don't have respect for close minded old people who can't let go of the past. Yeah massive respect for being 65 and living like you're 20. Give me a break.

I don't mind people not liking something I like. I find it just as stupid when people dismiss Motorhead for being crap or nothing but noise. But I have no time for close minded people who dismiss an entire genre because they don't understand it.

I find it quit sad. I had more respect for him before hearing this to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.