Lennon in response to Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zphage, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Actually, he was a one-man Beach Boys--I remember Rundgren did a note-for-note rendition of "Good Vibrations" in the mid-70s.

I would like to find a TR album or compilation that had that on it!

2. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Fair enough. :)

3. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Rundgren's 70's stuff is great to be sure. But it's not fair to compare this body of work to Lennon's from the same era. For one thing, no matter what Todd Rundgren does, his entire body of work will never come close in comparison to Lennon's. Rundgren was peaking creatively in the early to mid 70's. Depending on your perspective, after POB and Imagine Lennon's tank was forever on empty or in the process of getting refilled. Either way it was not John's time.

As for the Lennon's letter, to me it reads like vintage teddy boy abusive affection. Sounds almost like an olive branch in the peculiar Lennonistic style.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was floated for Rhino's "Very Best of TR" (it was in fact a single), but Todd himself vetoed it.

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I love Lennon's reply letter. Todd started the whole stupid thing and then tries to blame the Melody Maker years after the fact. Has Rundgren ever admitted he made a mistake in his life or did anything that wasn't the best ever?

XTC fans owe it to themselves to read what they had to say about working with Rundgren on Skylarking in 1986.

DaverJ, SuntoryTime and Gardo like this.
  6. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Lennon had some nerve ripping off Mrbillswildride's writing style.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

It's on his "Faithful" album.

papatwo likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Partridge later said on many occasions that TR had done a good job, though. And man, I sure wish they'd kept him around for Oranges & Lemons-- talk about dated 80s production....

DaverJ likes this.
  9. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

The album 'Faithful' on which this came from is still widely available ; http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1250276155&sr=8-2 .On the US site you can buy the vinyl for $1:59 ! :righton:

10. bystander

bystander Forum Resident

not only that, but Faithful also includes his "faithful" rendition of Strawberry Fields Forever!

Come to think of it, I think Lennon would have received a shot in the arm if he let Todd produce him in the 70s.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  11. Toby Latimer

And his take on 'Rain' ... I actually heard his version before The Beatles ! [from Past Masters I recall]

12. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

:laugh:

13. Runt

Runt Senior Member

The cover versions were nice on Faithful, but's it's really his original tunes on Side 2 that made it a killer Todd album. :righton:

Mooserfan likes this.
  14. Jose Jones

He might indeed have let him if Todd didn't shoot his mouth off to Melody Maker.

15. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

No question that Todd's output was stronger than John's in the 70's- Todd had 7 4-5 star records. John had 4, maybe 5 quality releases. Plus Todd had many double releases and without question is one of the top multi intrumentalist around. Sadly, I like very little Todd after the 70's. :shrug:

16. Jose Jones

You don't want to bang on your drum all day? :winkgrin:

What an annoying song that was.

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Well, come on...Lennon's active recording career in the 70s ended with the release of Walls and Bridges in September 1974. (Rock 'n' Roll was recorded previous to this, no? And Lennon's only subsequent release was a Greatest Hits album.)

Rundgren released albums through the entire decade. Your comparison hardly seems like a fair fight. I'm only saying that if you're looking at their respective number of quality releases, you should do so over a similar span of time.

AnalogJ likes this.
  18. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Thanks for posting that...it's nice to see the whole story. I also enjoyed the post where Todd, many years later, dismisses the whole incident....he was clearly at fault; he started a battle of wits when he was unarmed.

Bebe Buell's bio paints a picture of Todd's ego and need to control everything...it's an interesting one-person's-account/opinion of their time together...and apart...together..and apart...togetherand a p a r t etc...

19. Toby Latimer

I couldn't understand all the praise heaped onto 'Liars' , not one of his best imo. 'Arena' I've played once , the last album that I bought eagerly with the excitement and anticipation of a teenager looking forward to his heroes latest plastic platter was, well when I was a teenager of 18 and bought 'Hermit Of Mink Hollow' . And what was all that 'TRi' nonsense all about . I've got a broad taste in music , but anyone who was introduced to Todd through the beauty of 'Something/Anything' ,'Ballad Of' ,'Runt' or the magic of 'AWATS' or 'Todd' are going to be disappointed I reckon. Heck I even like 'Initiation' and the proggy 'Another Live' and 'T.Rs.Utopia' but after 'Ra' and 'Oops' something went wrong . Maybe Lennon's murder affected him deeply and he got writers block or something , http://toddrundgren.homestead.com/godandtodd.html , http://www.lennon-chapman.com/album_designs.htm , it all seems around the same time as he started to lose a bit of his talent. :sigh:

20. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Except for the Yardbirds cover, I didn't listen to side one very often, but I played side two hundreds of times. I even had an 8 track in addition to the Lp.

21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

This incident was brought up in another thread so I was curious to learn more and thought I'd bump it for others.
    I absolutely love Lennon, a true hero to me but I do resent this period in his life when he'd party like a mad man with Nilsson. It cost Nilsson his wonderful voice and produced one of his worse albums. Sad times.

22. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

As John had said many times post-1970, HE was allowed to slag the Beatles, but don't anyone else dare do so. For all he said, he was very proud of their body of work and still loved his three "brothers." I'd read this letter before and it always makes me laugh...hope Todd learned his lesson :laugh:

jeatleboe likes this.
  23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I don't think Harry drank just because of Lennon.

ConnieGuitar and Fivebyfive like this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

True, but at the same time it was the absolute happiest (overall) Lennon was in the 1970-1980 period, according to pretty much anyone who was around him at the time. He reconciled with Julian and Paul, made some good music (Walls and Bridges, Rock and Roll), and had a very happy relationship with May Pang.

agundy likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

JL probably would have been a monster on Twitter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.