Lennon's last great Beatle track(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FillmoreGuy, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

I tend to agree with this, not so much in a lack of quality but in lack of quantity. He had great songs - just not a lot of them, and certainly not at a mid 1960s level. I know he was dealing with heroin addiction at the time, so that was a contributing factor. IMO, the two biggest problems with Let it Be are Phil Spector’s production and the lack of quality Lennon songs. (Which is why I much prefer Let it Be - Naked)

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  2. JRSIV

JRSIV JRSIV Music Ltd.

To me "Come Together" is the final classic Lennon Beatle song. "Because" is great too but to me it is a de facto part if the side two Abbey Road medley. "Come Together" was and indeed does stand as a single and a classic album track.

"Don't Let Me Down" is close, but going chronologically "Come Together" edges it out.

3. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Sometimes I wish that at that point in his life, he would've had the discipline to turn "Sun King" "Mean Mr. Mustard" and "Polythene Pam" into complete songs (with bridges and final verses) instead of forcing McCartney to glue all of them together into a "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" style pastiche. For that matter, it would probably have been interesting if he had actually sat down with Paul and worked on them like they used to do in the olden days.

FillmoreGuy likes this.
  4. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Paul was the one who wanted a medley, they work fine in that context.

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Since "Because" was the final Lennon Beatles track, and it's awesome, I'll go with that one.

linclink likes this.
  6. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Last truly great Lennon songs:

Dear Prudence
    Julia
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Because

Last really good Lennon songs:

Hey Bulldog
    Sexy Sadie
    Cry Baby Cry