LENO NBC Primetime - 10:00pm MON-FRI (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Someone needs to find Bradford Marsalis(do i have the right sibling?) and see what dirt he can share from the early 90's.

Jay's "no-compete" clause from 2004 against Conan ended January 1st 2010.

What's interesting is Conan didn't have a time stipulation in his contract, so he may not have any leagl reason to leave yet. Although if his current monologues continue...

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You need to see it instead of read it. It was good. And correct.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

NY Post: Leno emerging as bad guy in NBC-Conan feud

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/conan_raps_jay_over_bid_to_reclaim_gLkqsUuIyKtfnxTFH8Rh5J

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Technically incorrect...Conan's lead-in is a local news show that is suffering from having Leno as their lead-in.

6. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

While the Post may be more or less correct, it’s interesting to see that paper and it’s anti-Jay take considering that its parent company is the likely candidate to get Conan. Plus their parent companies have a long well known public feud.

7. SoundAdvice

Jay has also undercut Conan's audience as well as some primo guests like Sandra Bullock or Denzel.

8. SoundAdvice

Isn't Fox a possible home for Jay when all this dust settles?

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

That assumes Jay is leaving. I think Conan will exit stage right in a few months. Then Fox can somehow talk about how Conan was part of the Simpsons juggernaut and 'lo and behold he's back on fox where he belongs.'

10. bencasey

bencasey New Member

And its no surprise that Letterman is enjoying this. After years of getting his *** kicked in the rating by Leno, of course he was happy with the change. Now that Leno is coming back, he'll get his *** kicked again. So why wouldn't he want Conan against him?

11. SoundAdvice

This assumes that when Leno gets his old time slot back everything will be peachy and ratings will return.

I htink Leno had his reputation dragged through the mud the past week. I doubt anybody who saw Kimmel's impression will ever watch Jay again. The longer it goes on the worse it's going to get for Jay. Online popularity polls have it Team Coco at 75-80% and Team Jay under 25%.

12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

To me, anyway, I'm thinking that Conan's rise in viewership is because the show seems like such a ticking time-bomb over the last few nights.

From The Wrap (http://www.thewrap.com)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 13, 2010, 10:55AM CST
    By: Josef Adalian

'Tonight Show' Ratings Soar as Viewers Vote Team Conan

Conan O'Brien's shot heard 'round the world sent his "Tonight Show" numbers soaring as viewers seemed to vote for Team Conan with their remotes.

Tuesday's episode scored a 1.7/7 in adults 18-49 in Nielsen's 25 major markets with people meters. That's a dramatic gain of more than 40 percent from Monday, when Conan averaged a 1.2.

Conan's "Tonight," in what may well be one of its final broadcasts, crushed "Late Show With David Letterman" in the demo -- nearly doubling Dave's 0.9/4.

Final numbers won't be in til next week, and the averages likely will change. But this date suggest a massive boost for O'Brien.

By contrast, Tuesday's "The Jay Leno Show" was down about 10 percent from last Tuesday. A lower lead-in from "Biggest Loser," which was dented by the returning "American Idol," played a role. But it's worth noting CBS' "The Good Wife" seemed to benefit from the gazillion "Idol" viewers looking for something to watch after the Fox show wrapped.

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I wish I could find the article, but yesterday I read something that sounded like Leno's camp was trying some damage control...basically saying that Jay was 'furious' at how NBC was treating Conan and him and that he's just as much a victim as anyone.

If he's really this much of a sneaky player, he's probably backed into a corner. Can't bash NBC (other than a few limp jokes on his show) and can't support or bash Conan. He just kind of has to ride it out for the most part. We'll see.

dan c

15. wave

wave Forum Resident

I'm not sure if you mean this article. It's a joke.

16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

No no, it was from a real news article. It was a relatively brief quote in another story about the debacle.

dan c

17. wave

wave Forum Resident

Too bad it's not 1994 anymore.

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I met Jay Leno years ago on a flight and he seemed smug even way back then and those were his, "DORITOS" years. His whole "being", has turned me off, ever since all of this ugliness began. The debate that I've been reading on much of this thread, (Part 1), that is pro Jay, doesn't hold much weight. I could truly care less whether Jay was going to retire, was pushed out early, had a bad hair day or whatever. The BOTTOM line is, that his 10 p.m. show SUCKED, plain and simple and that was nobody else's fault, but Jay's, to fix! Jay didn't fix it, but somehow is now being rewarded by NBC for sucking and I don't get it? Truthfully, Conan hosting the "Tonight Show" is not much better, but why would NBC want to have Jay back there again, even for the old ratings? There is NO way that Jay will ever recapture those numbers again, especially after the way that he has treated this scenario. Personally, I'm through with Jay and I would guess, that many others feel the same way.

19. SoundAdvice

Jay got one of the big TWILIGHT actors that didn't appear on Conan. Instead Conan got the main actress that has a bad haircut and a sourpuss attitude.

20. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

It's very unlikely that Leno will get anywhere near the numbers he used to get.

Letterman is enjoying this because Leno really isn't getting away with screwing Conan the way he basically got away with screwing Letterman. Yes, Jay may end up with his old show, but his reputation has taken an almighty battering. He is currently the butt of every joke.

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I liked the way Letterman referred to Leno's "inevitable"(rolled eyes)return to the Tonight Show.....

Evan

22. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Is it at all possible that the reason why the ratings are down for all this stuff is
    be because 3 hours of talk talk talk and yack yack yack and celebrities going on
    to blab some sound bites about their next movie (with 30 minutes of local news
    shoved in between) is too much talk talk talking and yack yack yacking about
    some movie that I'm probably not going to see.

I watched Charlie Rose on PBS a few years back and he had Clint Eastwood on
    for a full 60 minutes where they actually talked about something real for the entire
    show rather than sound biting about a movie that was coming out a week from
    Friday. Of course since it was PBS there were commercial interruptions. I haven't
    turned on a network late night talk show since, although I'd have
    to admit that I thought Letterman was pretty funny 25 years ago. He act's just to
    darn tragically hip these days for my tastes.

23. SoundAdvice

I don't get the impression that Conan has spoken to Dave or if they have any kind of friendship. Letterman did make a rare appearance when Conan started up in the mid 90's.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Here Here! Although I've been done with Jay since the early 90's.
    Letterman and Conan rule!

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This still going on here?

Funny, all the hatred for Jay Leno here, like it's his fault or something.

How many of you know Jay? Well, I have spent time with him, eating lunch, chatting. He is the nicest guy. Just ask ANYONE who works with him or for him. Ask what he is like, day after day, behind the scenes. No one will have a bad word to say about the guy. You may not like his act, you can say whatever you want about his TV show but he's not the bad guy. Some guy here met him on an airplane and he was smug? I really, really doubt it. He's so far from smug! I've met Letterman many times and loved chatting with him, interesting good guy as well, Conan never (but hear he's nice as well). Pitting these guys against each other is the total fault of NBC execs and the media looking for a "conflict". The NBC suits are really messing up late night life...

Surprisingly, ABC News agrees with me:

Why Jay Leno's Not the Villain in the Conan O'Brien, 'Tonight Show' Fiasco

Insiders Paint Leno as 'Mr. Nice Guy,' Victim of Network's Poor Planning

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...n-obrien-tonight-show-fiasco/story?id=9554686

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.