Leon Bridges: Retro Soul/R&B..WOW.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip on Solo!

2. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

Finally had a chance to sit down with the LP. Cut at MPO. This thing sounds great through my Sherwood s5000II. The vocals are relaxed and the recording is reverby and warm. Horns and organs are rich. There's definitely some magic missing in both the recording and song writing, but he has a good bit and (for the most part) pulls it off. "Pull Away" is worth the price of the LP. That song does it for me.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Thanks for the review! Yeah, that Pull Away tune is great.

4. I think it's a strong effort for what it is: pleasant retro vocal soul in the early stax style.

5. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Sam Cooke for example as far as I know sang other musicians songs. I'm not comparing but give Leon a chance! This guys performs his own material, he is not 'studio' thing as well.

6. CrombyMouse

I think this is a great debut and hope that Leon will have a great future and won't fall into obscurity. I also would like him to overcome his 'retro-thing' in terms of imitation. This means that he should write far more greater songs and employ more complex arrangements.

We also need to mention two guys from White Denim who basically discovered Leon, co-wrote, played, recorded and produced this album. Austin Jenkins (guitarist) and Joshua Block (drummer) did a great job. I much prefer their stylish and unshowy work on this LP especially comparing with their terrific and busy playing on White Denim albums.

Vinyl_Blues and Naughty Chord like this.
  7. ServingTheMusic

I did not know that! I love Whire Denim!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  8. ServingTheMusic

Actually...Sam Cooke was an extraordinary song writer and sang his own material....

dmiller458 and zebop like this.
  9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i'm friends with leon (we're both from fort worth) and have jammed with him at open mics a few times.
    he was literally plucked from the local scene almost overnight and thrust by columbia into the media machine.

he is the sweetest, most humble dude, who just writes his songs and does his thing, and somebody saw a potential in him and went straight in for the kill

i agree, the songwriting isn't top notch. i don't really care for the production on the album either. i am good friends with many
    of the people who played on the album, and really good friends with 3 of his band members. it's fun to see people you are close with
    riding a meteoric wave like this.

i'm hoping he will progress further and maybe make a better sounding and more thought out record song-wise

10. CrombyMouse

Vinyl_Blues and Nostaljack like this.
  11. CrombyMouse

Nice info! Who are guys that play bass and lead guitar in Leon's band?

12. Streaming the album from Amazon Prime, I like it a lot. Recently I have been listening to the 9-CD Stax Volt Singles 1959-1968 box set having purchased it a few months ago. There are a lot of songs on the box set I wasn't familiar with, sure didn't get any play in the midwest when I was growing up. Most of the songs and artists I wasn't familiar with I don't like. The Atlantic box set that covers that label's music from the era also had some music I wasn't familiar with and didn't like, no surprise. Given the fact there are decades worth of music in the genre I like, early music I didn't hear when it was new is going to be judged unfairly by me for the time of its release, can't be any way around that.

I didn't pay any attention to Fante with his attempt but did see Saadig a few times on TV without following up to hear what he has recorded, I don't really have an opinion on either of those artists yet. The Leon Bridges album is really good in my opinion, I like the music and think he did extraordinarily well with it. What can music like this do in today's marketplace, who knows?

13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

My daughter turned me onto Leon. Cool stuff.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  14. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

That's an interesting story! Plucked from the open mic seen right to Columbia...wow. I guess this is typical though. Maybe the hardworking touring machine thing is drifting. There's always big artists that seem to come from nowhere, esp. when they originate locally.

Have you heard any feedback on how the band likes the sound of the record, or anything about the production/recording process?

15. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for the inside scoop. It is obvious he is a very nice, sincere fellow.

16. ServingTheMusic

Dflow and DeRosa like this.
  17. ServingTheMusic

For the record, I LOVE the production. I will take this any day of the week over a canned Pro Tools, still born POS.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

the bass player is Andrew Skates. most recently he played keys/guitar with Quaker City Night Hawks (another awesome local band)...he also used to play keys with Telegraph Canyon.

the guitar player is Kenny Wayne Hollingsworth. he most recently played guitar with The Orbans.

the sax player is Jeff Dazey...he and i have played in a few projects together, and he most recently was in JJ Grey & Mofro. all really cool and talented fellow Fort Worthians. so proud to see these guys doing so well!!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  19. CrombyMouse

Thank you, good man!

bigmikerocks likes this.
  20. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Yes he did and there isn't anything wrong with covers. :winkgrin: In fact, most of these "singer/songwriters" can't write very well and IMVHO would benefit by much more collaboration and singing covers. Over the years, I have heard many great singers who weren't very good songwriters and most didn't have very long careers.

Sometime around the 70s it became a stigma to do covers (in pop not jazz) and we now have generations of music fans that buy into that specious concept. :hide: Don't get me wrong, there are great singers who are great songwriters but for each one there are dozens of great singers that are mediocre writers and dozens of good writers that are mediocre singers. Which means that we are subjected to lots of lousy music.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  21. ServingTheMusic

22. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

23. ServingTheMusic

24. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Awesome stuff... Some of the best new music I've heard to date. Seeing him live on his upcoming tour, looking forward to it!

Vinyl_Blues and RelayerNJ like this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

Check out Anderson East for a slightly different take on the same flavor..more Country Soul..but nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.