Leon Bridges: Retro Soul/R&B..WOW.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

that is called hittin' the road. not only is his music a throwback, but he his working his tail off the old fashioned way too..

2. djej

djej Forum Resident

3. ServingTheMusic

Great, thanks for posting links. Great analysis too.

4. jmj190

jmj190 Forum Resident

From the 6th of December Twistin' & Groovin' performed on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

5. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for that!

Grammy nominee Leon Bridges...we can say we knew him when he had freaking iTunes single...:angel:

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

He sounds much more comfortable and this band is beginning to jell quite nicely. There is nothing like working for a living to hone your skills and bring everything together. If his next album is this good, I will be onboard. :)

7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I saw him the other night, one of two sold out shows here in Melbourne.

He was absolutely brilliant and has caused quite a stir in these parts.

What a talent!

8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I thought the slight distortion in the vocals on Coming Home was due to the vinyl pressing. It is not. It seems the distortion is in the recording. my vinyl is flat, centered and silent. Pressed at MPO.

9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Yes it's audible on the CD also.

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

So there's a deluxe version of Coming Home just out February 5th, but looks like no physical release, download only.

Saw it on Amazon. Five extra, previously unreleased songs.

11. djej

djej Forum Resident

12. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

I finally bought Leon Bridges' debut and I was floored. Coming Home is an excellent collection of songs, and one of the best debuts this decade that I've heard (The Last Internationale still holds the #1 spot for me in recent years.)

It was so refreshing to hear new, soulful music that wasn't done with drum programming or spliced a thousand different ways with Pro Tools.

The album is stripped down and basic in it's approach. As Lynyrd Skynyrd might say, nuthin' fancy. But I find that refreshing in a world of new music that is often a wall of sound. The vocals were not quite extraordinary, but still of excellent quality.

Leon has great potential. He also has a long way to go before comparing him to the greats of soul music. Nonetheless, this is a wonderful start. I am hopeful for his career. Fingers crossed he can show growth on his next album and begin to distinguish himself as an original artist worthy of years of attention.

supermd and rob68 like this.
  13. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Oh, and the vinyl pressing that I have sounds superb. Better than the typical new album release on vinyl that I hear.

14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

To me, Leon Bridges is just a Columbia "product" attempt at shoehorning into the Daptones Sound - but instead of throwback production and great songs, we've been given a VERY LOUD and autotuned bland album of filler songs that don't leave much hook. They all sound the same to me. All sound like rejected Motown or Daptone songs.

I saw him live at Brixton Academy on Friday and it was quite a dull affair - crowd mostly full of white hipsters if that tells you anything / I'll be seeing Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings in August and that is PROPER SOUL to me.

Bob J, mpayan and zebop like this.
  15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am looking forward to seeing Leon with Andra Day here in Pittsburgh in June. I'm probably more excited about seeing Andra, even though she is the opening act...

16. raphph

Here's some pics anyway from the gig

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmj190, trd and pghmusiclover like this.
  17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Those are great pics -- thanks for sharing! Did Andra Day share the bill with Leon "across the pond"?

raphph likes this.
  18. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Really enjoying the Louisiana Sun EP... although $17 for 13 minutes is steep.

19. raphph

She did, though I didn't see her

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow. I fully disagree.

21. ServingTheMusic

yes, me too, totally and utterly disagree. i've seen some opinions that are so off mark as to be comical.

supermd likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I heard this album and liked it a lot, so I came to this thread to hear some other positive experiences with the album, but most of this thread is people hating on the album. I was very surprised.

23. ServingTheMusic

I think that some people deep down hate old fashioned, authentic success stories. Folks are so cynical they think it might be too good to be true
    and that he was developed in casting by a bunch of ruthless record execs like The Monkees.

The facts don't bear that out.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    supermd likes this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

This is exactly what I thought of when I read others' posts. It is a poor analogy, yet others are submitting it as fact.

25. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Some of us just don't hear what you hear. He's competent enough but nothing very exceptional to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.